Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 808s for IMLP?
Quote | Reply
Hi. I'm doing IMLP in July and have rented a set of Zipp 808s for the race. I've never used high-end race wheels before so I thought the 808s would be a good choice. The wheels I currently use are Mavic Cosmic Elites that came with my bike. I spoke with someone the other day and he said IMLP was too hilly for 808s. He suggested the 404s. I've already reserved my wheels and don't feel like trying to reserve a different pair, but did I make a mistake picking the 808s over the 404s or even the 606s? I remember reading that aero trumps lightweight in almost all situations, thus, wouldn't the 808s be a good choice? Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808s for IMLP? [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You didn't make a mistake, the 808's are a great choice, more aero and not much heavier than the 404's. The only reason to maybe go with the 606's is if you are a tiny little person and were nervous about crosswinds effecting your steering. Otherwise, no worries and good luck.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808s for IMLP? [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm 190lbs so I'm not concerned w/ crosswinds. I'll probably just stick with the 808s. Thanks again for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt, that is a great choice, particularly at your size. FYI - last year I rode 909s and this year will ride 999s.

Good luck!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely - 808's are the perfect wheelset for LP in my opinion. I'm racing on 404's (my own) and I'd gladly trade ya :)

Quote | Reply
agree with the above posters and i've done placid before (and trained on the course several times as well). i tried renting 808s but they were out of them - riding 606s instead.
Quote Reply