Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 808s, worth it? Looking for reviews
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about biting the bullet and getting some good TT/Tri wheels. I'm between HED3s, 404s, and 808s. I've been leanijng on the 808s but i hear some bad stuff about Zipp durability/warranty issues. I'm looking for the sage and learned advice from you Slowtwitchers.

Kona Kev
Go Reston Area Triathletes (RATS)!
Sponsored by Hammer Nutrition, Bonzai Sports, and DeSoto
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808s, worth it? Looking for reviews [ktkva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an 808 rear that I bought for Hawaii- its on a powertap hub, so I can't comment on the Zipp hubs.

I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't Hawaii. If Hawaii is on your list, then for sure look at it for the rear. The wheel felt incredible- fast, very, very smooth. Light. Just a sweet ride.

I don't think I'd buy one for the front. In Hawaii, I think it would likely be way too much to handle on the front. I think the H3 is probably easier to handle, and faster. Really I'd choose something like the 404 or the 303 if that's your plan. And if a powertap isn't one of your needs, an H3 rear probably is the best for Hawaii.

If Hawaii isn't on the list, I don't think I'd be buying one- I'm very very happy with a rear disc and an H3 front. I think its the fastest wheel combo out there, and honestly I've never had ANY handling issues with them in cross winds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had my 808's for 6 months now and love them. They are a strong wheel i regularly train on them as I dont get to use them enough racing and hate seeing them sit around. As for warranty I did have a problem with the front wheel which was replaced no questions asked within in 2 days of returning the wheel. So I would not be concerned in that regards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used both a full set of H3s and 808's (r&f). The hubs on the Zipps just seams like really high end stuff. I had more crosswind issues with a H3 in front then the 808 in front. However, they both are too much as a front wheel for a windy course, at least for me. Overall, I am becoming more biased towards zipp. Loved the sound of the H3, while the 808 is silent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of 404s and a Zipp disc for the rear. I love them and have absolutely no prolems. Teh Zipp hubs and bearings are like nothing I have ever ridden on - they make my Campy Record hubs feel like the suntour I had on my bmx bike when I was a kid. Seriously, Zipp rocks and I have had no issues regarding durability. Pull the trigger!!!

I proudly DO NOT post my workouts on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife purchased a set of tubular 404's for me late last year (just before IM Kona '04). Raced them at Kona, then a sprint tri 2 weeks later. Got a rear flat in the bike course of the sprint tri. After the race I went back to pick up my 'trash' of the flat tubular and there was 8" of carbon fiber glued to the tubular.

Took it back to the LBS and within 10 days I had a brand new rear 404 from ZIPP - great. Fantastic warranty and could not fault the service.

Then about 3 weeks ago - actually 2 hours before the bike check-in closed at AG Worlds in Honolulu - I go for a last test ride and hear this scrapping sound fromn the front 404. Check the noise and there is a 3" circmferential crack around the breaking surface (I do use ZIPP carbon break pads). Took it back to my LBS and it is curently at ZIPP for warranty review. I borrowed a front 404 for AG worlds and IM.

Get back from Kona last week and put my bike back together and I notice a loose (not broken) spoke. The connection of 2 spokes to the alloy flange of the hub is completely fractured resulting in the loose spoke/s. When I removed the tubular from this wheel about 2" of resin was glued to the tubular - so now about 2" of raw carbon fiber is exposed.

Took that wheel back to my LBS and that too is being returned to ZIPP for warranty.

I do not train on my ZIPP's, only race on them. I really like the wheels, but seems I have had some bad luck with failures. I weigh 150 lb and I am not the worst cyclist on the planet. Never had a crash!

My LBS expects that ZIPP will warranty both wheels.

I would still purchase the same wheels again. Probably would upgrade the rear to a 808.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808s, worth it? Looking for reviews [Hairy Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn Mark, what are you doing to those wheels? What kind of glue are you using? You know just because you are an engineer that doesn't give you permission to use that super high strength epoxy stuff, regular tire glue will do;) Hmm, I wonder hwo this $200 a pint hi-temp epoxy sitting on my desk would work! Well at least you're having bad luck with the wheels but good luck with the races, nice job on the triple. I'm hoping, not betting on it but hoping you're taking a break this weekend:)

On the wheels, my 404 and disk have held up very well although I do have a small dent in the side of the 404 front and both have developed a pretty bad brake pulse. They spin super smooth, feel amazingly fast and absolutely rock as long as I'm not panic stopping! I have one friend with 808s and he loves his and has had no problems so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think anybody that drops $1500 for a pair of wheels is going to tell you they suck so take that in consideration. Heck, if somebody felt they needed them for one race they probably believed they made a difference even before they rode them. As far as Zipp warranty and customer service goes I don't know what you have heard but my experience with them regarding that was nothing but excellent.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808s, worth it? Looking for reviews [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
damn Mark, what are you doing to those wheels? What kind of glue are you using? You know just because you are an engineer that doesn't give you permission to use that super high strength epoxy stuff, regular tire glue will do;) Hmm, I wonder hwo this $200 a pint hi-temp epoxy sitting on my desk would work! Well at least you're having bad luck with the wheels but good luck with the races, nice job on the triple. I'm hoping, not betting on it but hoping you're taking a break this weekend:)

On the wheels, my 404 and disk have held up very well although I do have a small dent in the side of the 404 front and both have developed a pretty bad brake pulse. They spin super smooth, feel amazingly fast and absolutely rock as long as I'm not panic stopping! I have one friend with 808s and he loves his and has had no problems so far.

I use PANA CEMENT.

I just signed up for Haleiwa Tri about 1 hour ago - hey my last sprint tri was back in May and my calf muscle is feeling a lot better. Chris puts on a great race too. See you on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but i hear some bad stuff about Zipp durability/warranty issues. I'm looking for the sage and learned advice from you Slowtwitchers

I have about 6000 miles on a set of 404 clinchers with no problems. That should say something about durability. Warranty? Who knows. I haven't needed it.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808s, worth it? Looking for reviews [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
under any and all circumstances if you intend on using your zipps on any surface other than a track, get the pave version. you won't notice the weight difference and they are much, much more durable.

jerk

http://www.echelonbicycles.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you also have to remember what you are buying. You're basically buying a RACE DAY wheelset that you're paying through the nose for because it's

a) aero as hell

b) light as hell

c)they get "b)" by teetering on the factor of safety line, getting them as light as can be while retaining just enough durability.

I like the suggestion of getting the Pave version for more durability or if not the Clinchers seem pretty much bomb proof, although they are clinchers;) But I seriously doubt if anyone has lost a race because they were riding clinchers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of 808's that have been ridden for IM Canada and a 100 mile race amongst friends.

During my warmdown after the 100 miler, I hit a pothole at about 15 mph and destroyed my front wheel. It must have been one of those 1 in a million type of things.

I took the wheel to my LBS who I purchased the wheel from and they agreed to talk to Zipp. I got a bill for about $500 dollars for the new rim. When asked what the deal with that was, I was told by the LBS that Zipp told them that there really "isn't a crash replacement policy with the wheels". They also said that with expensive race wheels "that's a risk you take when you ride them". I find it pretty hard to believe Zipp would take that position.

WTF is up with that. Either Zipp's customer service sucks or my LBS has suddenly decided to screw over a very good customer that they have treated very well over the last few years. Based on what I hear about Zipp's customer service, I would feel that they were never even consulted about this. It is really out of character for my LBS though.

Alas, my options seem pretty limited at this point since the wheel has been rebuilt and paid for. Based on this experience though, I am thinking about selling the wheels and buying something else. Another rim issue and I'm up to $2,500 for the wheelset.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808s, worth it? Looking for reviews [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 the Clinchers seem pretty much bomb proof, although they are clinchers;) But I seriously doubt if anyone has lost a race because they were riding clinchers.

Tai, I couldn't agree with you more. I got the clinchers because I wanted to ride them full time. And even though I've lost quite a few races over the years, it wasn't because of my wheels.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love mine.......no worries.......riding them at IMF....

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply