Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 808 vs wheelcover
Quote | Reply
I know this has been posted before but I tried a search and couldn't find a good thread discussing this. I have been racing on 808 tubies the last couple of seasons and was contemplating a wheel cover for the rear. Everything I read and hear indicates a significant aerodynamic advantage of a disc (even over a rear 808) but when I look on the Zipp website it only shows a 1W and 3 sec difference over a 40K TT. Just wondering what the thoughts were? Is an 808 with a wheelcover faster than a regular 808? If so, where does that advantage get negated, i.e. very hilly course or excessive crosswinds? I don't have the budget for a disc right now so wheel cover is my only option. Any downside to this, i.e. noise, extra weight? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs wheelcover [tricuz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is compared to the new firecrest 808.

Also in many cases when you see the wattage savings of wheels they do not included the reduced power required to spin the wheel through the air, so their numbers may not include that.

excessive crosswinds would cause the gap between the 808 and disc to grow in the discs favor, not hurt it.

there is extra weight but unless it is a hillclimb event it will not slow you down overall. If you tape the cover instead of using the bolts, you don't get any noise.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't really tell you HOW much faster it is or anything, not my area of expertise (I'm sure mott will be along shortly and he'll let you know though) but my 808 definitely feels faster with the cover then without and I've never noticed the bit of extra weight from the cover during climbs. Also if you tape the edge of the cover to the wheel it doesn't rattle at all (which can be pretty annoying going over bumps if you leave it untaped)
Last edited by: Dubsey: Mar 25, 11 10:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
808 with the cover is a wonderful thing. Putting aside any aero benefits it makes the bike easier to handle with the 808 on the front.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs wheelcover [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses. For a pretty minimal investment (compared to wheels) I think I am going to order one. Would the cover still be beneficial on a hilly course like Placid? I am guessing it would improve handling on the steep downhill, but wondering about the extra weight on the hills coming back into town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tricuz wrote:
Thanks for the responses. For a pretty minimal investment (compared to wheels) I think I am going to order one. Would the cover still be beneficial on a hilly course like Placid? I am guessing it would improve handling on the steep downhill, but wondering about the extra weight on the hills coming back into town.

on an 808 it is like 250grams extra weight.
might still be faster uphill if there is even a 1mph wind!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will certainly have the cover on mine in LP this summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs wheelcover [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
tricuz wrote:

on an 808 it is like 250grams extra weight.
might still be faster uphill if there is even a 1mph wind!

I'm doing St Croix this year, recommend wheelcover on 808 there as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs wheelcover [cbcooler1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs wheelcover [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackmott,

I run a pair of zipp 404s on my Cannondale. I'm not a speed demon (yet), as I typically cycle between 17-20 mph. If I threw a wheelcover on, what type of speed gains in terms of seconds/minutes might I expect over IMC 180km (111mi) bike course?

Will I be defined by things that could have been?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs wheelcover [226kmofawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depends on the wind. the more wind, the more time you save.

maybe a minute, maybe 3 over an ironman? this is just an barely educated guess though.

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs wheelcover [226kmofawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks

Will I be defined by things that could have been?
Quote Reply