Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zipp 808 vs Hed Jet 90
Quote | Reply
Thinking about getting a new rear wheel.
Any feedback on the Zipp 808 vs Hed Jet 90 (clinchers). The both weigh about 1050 grams but the Hed is $725 while the Zipp is $1200. Plus the Hed has a deeper rim (90 vs 81 mm).

Seems like the Hed is a better overall value, if not more aero?

Would appreciate any thoughts/experience.
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs Hed Jet 90 [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One man's opinion: Hed + $475 = Zipp. Weight and aerodynamics are the same. Cool guy factor is the same. Hed it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, my Zipp 808 rear weights 836g on my scale. Nowhere near 1050.
Edit: Sorry, missed the clincher reference. Mine's tubular of course.

I wanna go fast!
Last edited by: ironmanatee: Feb 5, 07 10:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the "advertised" weights are often different in reality. The Zipp will be lighter almost for sure. Also, the Zipp uses a much better hub.

But, the HED is deeper and that is what you want. The Blackwell 100 and Planet-X 101 are even better still (but not clincher yet). I'd go with the HED as well.

Re: Zipp 808 vs Hed Jet 90 [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the feedback. Regarding Zipp weights; the tubulars are for definitely much lighter but the advertised weights of the clinchers seem to be about the same as the Hed's.

BTW I have Hed Alps and am very pleased with the weight and stiffness.

thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget to add $40 if you want a different color sticker on your Jet 90 ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs Hed Jet 90 [tenacious_b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the Jet 90's stickers baked under the enamel???

I am also contemplating a Jet 90 (Not C2), to replace ZIPP 404 front, and the choices are basically FP80 or Jet 90. The 90 should in theory be faster, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs Hed Jet 90 [pjcampbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the aerodynamics is "close"

the price is a lot cheaper.

seems like unless $500 means nothing to you its a pretty simple choice. if money is no object, then maybe the zip saves you a second out on course?

=)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither Zipp nor HED decals on '08 wheels are baked on, they use decals
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Zipp 808 vs Hed Jet 90 [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe this is a whole 'nother post, but how can I determine the ideal tire width for the rim?

I have always been running regular old 23s on ZIPP 303 rear covered up and 404 front. Looking at changing to FP80 or HED non-C2 90 for the front...

Should I be thinking about 20s ... in the front? rear?
Last edited by: pjcampbell: Oct 15, 08 16:42
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs Hed Jet 90 [Stick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One man's opinion: Hed + $475 = Zipp. Weight and aerodynamics are the same. Cool guy factor is the same. Hed it is.

Weight: Tie
Aerodynamics: Advantage Zipp
Coolness factor: Advantage Zipp
Price: Advantage HED

I would go with the 808 especially the new 2009 version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks.... where would you measure rim width. Outside to outside or inside to inside of the braking surface or??
Last edited by: pjcampbell: Oct 15, 08 18:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went thru the same decision process earlier this year, only for a front wheel.

I got the HED Jet90 C2.

Initially, I kinda thought maybe I shoulda spent the extra beanos, but now w/ numerous races (and numerous PB's) on it, I am VERY happy with it.
I sprung for the $60 ceramic bearing upgrade, and also got the black and white stickers (which go perfectly w/ my B2).

It is a fast, smooth, light, badass wheel. Add Bonty RXL Pro tires and Michelin 18-20 latex tubes, and you are golden.

PS - save yerself some $, get a disk cover from wheelbuilder.com for the rear.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs Hed Jet 90 [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are fast enough. No need to make such a SMART decision as you just posted above ...

;)

Re: Zipp 808 vs Hed Jet 90 [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I could take credit for the SMART decision, but you were one of the folks who advised me to do it! : )

And you (and Tom A., and a few others) are on the very short list of folks I take bike gear advice from.
So thx!!! I owe ya a beer. (heck, I've owed ya several beers for various other things already)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the sales rep's I talked when looking for a deep wheel said the Zipp is stronher and stiffer than the Hed.

Marcos

http://www.marcosapenedoamaral.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs Hed Jet 90 [AçaíTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I noticed that the Jet HED 90 (non-c2) and Flashpoint FP80 are both on sale for about $500 shipped on trisports.com. Any thoughts between the two for a FRONT wheel? Running 303 w/ cover in the rear currently, and 404 in the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I measure outside to outside with a simple pair of calipers. Another way that provides qualitative results is to place a straight edge (metal ruler, etc.) perpendicular to the tire. If there is a gap between the straight edge and the outside edge of the rim, then I'd suspect that the tire may be too wide.

Thanks I'll check it out.

I have been meaning to consider skinnier Evo CX tires for fast TT courses on smooth roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a small rider and never had any trouble with the winds riding 808 on front, altough I live in Brazil and the winds here are way more calm. I think is only a matter of driving the bike properly and in accordance with the conditions. Today, I would have gone even deeper and buy a 1080 as tge front wheel.

http://www.marcosapenedoamaral.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs Hed Jet 90 [Stick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One man's opinion: Hed + $475 = Zipp. Weight and aerodynamics are the same.

Don't suppose you've seen some independent data for the HED's?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately this is the wrong question to ask. The real comparison is not Zipp vs Hed, but Flashpoint vs. Hed. The FP80 wheel matches the Hed in Aero performance, weight, and cost, while having less side force for better handling, but more importantly is a fully structural carbon/aluminum co-molded rim where the Hed is a carbon fairing on a traditional aluminum rim. Also, the FP80 and Hed wheels both use hubs manufactured in Asia and bearings from Asia, while the zipp hub is considerably higher tolerance, lighter weight, manufactured entirely in the USA of US materials and uses Swiss bearings of higher precision than most ceramic bearings, and uses custom spokes from Sapim in Belgium. Ultimately the Flashpoint brand lines up directly against the Hed Stinger line as they are structural carbon rims like the FP's and not just fairings as seen in the Jet line... so when it comes to comparisons you guys really need to move the goal posts here... if you are considering price in the equation, then you need to talk in FP terms and you will see that the FP series wheels offer incredible value at that pricepoint.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply

Prev Next