Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zipp 808 vs. HED H3 Flamme Rouge
Quote | Reply
I've decided to treat myself to a new front wheel because... its (checking calendar)... Chinese New Year (I just want a new wheel, OK)

I'm trying to decide between a front clincher Zipp 808 (non-FC) vs. HED H3 Flamme Rouge. Is one a better wheel for a weekend warrior AG racer (~7 sprints, olys, and one HIM or IM per year)? My last HIM bike split was 2:38 on a Cervelo P2 with a 28mm Neuvation wheelset with a Wheelcover in the back.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs. HED H3 Flamme Rouge [mgalanter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't go with the H3 at all anymore until they make it wider. Its impossible to find good tires for it now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, don't knock the importance of the Chinese New Year. Here in Korea, it's so significant that the local pool is closed for three consecutive days.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs. HED H3 Flamme Rouge [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I didn't realize that they only take 19mm clinchers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mgalanter wrote:
Thanks. I didn't realize that they only take 19mm clinchers.

its not they only take 19-20mm clinchers, its that they perform so much worse without them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They take wider but anything over 19 starts messing with the aerodynamics of it and at that point you might as well go with the 808.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are 2 totally different wheels. Can you push the speeds needed to make a deep section wheel fast? If not the H3 is for you because it is more suited for all around use. It is the perfect wheel for any condition; windy days, no wind, cross winds, etc....

Personally, if you were using this in tris I would stay away from using 19mm tires. They are a bitch to chance if you would get a flat in a race. Not having spokes on a wheels to latch the lever to is tricky. A good 23mm tire will still be very aero, give you a comfortable ride and be a lot easier to change if you were to get a flat on a course

The H3 hasnt changed design, other than stickers for years because one reason, it doesn't need to because it is already fast.

Happy Chinese New Year

-------
HED. Cycling - Twitter @hedcycling - HED Wheel Selector iPhone App
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs. HED H3 Flamme Rouge [Vince@HED] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vince@HED wrote:
Personally, if you were using this in tris I would stay away from using 19mm tires. They are a bitch to chance if you would get a flat in a race. Not having spokes on a wheels to latch the lever to is tricky. A good 23mm tire will still be very aero, give you a comfortable ride and be a lot easier to change if you were to get a flat on a course

Easy to change, I don't need a lever at all. I use a Veloflex Corsa 20mm with Micheline Latex Tubes (20mm as well). About the comfort, I can't feel the difference. I use a bit more pressure, usually around 8,5 bar ... On the rear I use a 23mm tire for my hed jet disc. Can't see any problems with the tire widths. Replacement tubes can be of either size, there is no problem riding the 20mm tires with 23mm tubes or the other way round.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would check and make sure your bike will work with the wide Zipp rims. Some bikes and brake setups do not. The H3 is 19mm wide, and will fit every setup. I absolutely love my front H3. I run a 20mm Victoria clincher on it. It is fast. It spins forever, something not taken into account in wind tunnel tests.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs. HED H3 Flamme Rouge [rbar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbar wrote:
I would check and make sure your bike will work with the wide Zipp rims. Some bikes and brake setups do not. The H3 is 19mm wide, and will fit every setup. I absolutely love my front H3. I run a 20mm Victoria clincher on it. It is fast. It spins forever, something not taken into account in wind tunnel tests.

Mainly because spinning forever doesn't matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs. HED H3 Flamme Rouge [adal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree if you take your time and practice a few times 19,20s are easy to change

-------
HED. Cycling - Twitter @hedcycling - HED Wheel Selector iPhone App
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs. HED H3 Flamme Rouge [Vince@HED] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vince@HED wrote:
Can you push the speeds needed to make a deep section wheel fast?

Vince, can you expound on this?

thanks,
ER

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H3's look cooler.

that's worth a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs. HED H3 Flamme Rouge [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM35-39 wrote:
Vince@HED wrote:
Can you push the speeds needed to make a deep section wheel fast?

Vince, can you expound on this?

thanks,
ER

It really doesn't matter the new 808 crushed the H3D in the new tour quarterly test. I just went back and looked at it. If he's looking at the new 808 FC theres no compairison.

Edit: The new 404 is like the old 808 in aero and that would have been a close comparison pre firecrest but not anymore. they are showing the new 404 FC at 2 watts faster than the H3D and the new 808 FC at about 7 watts faster. They don't have the size tire tested however, but Vince says its not a big deal so.... ;)
Last edited by: Grant.Reuter: Jan 22, 12 16:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride the H3. Great all around wheel for a variety of conditions. Very aero, bombproof, and they look cool as hell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thx. Link?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM35-39 wrote:
Thx. Link?

I have it on my ipad they have a direct download. I'm not sure where else you can get it since I just put it in google and thats the first thing that popped up. Its in the 2011 Q4 issue which is free. They showed the Jet disc as the fastest disc and the 808 as the fastest open wheel. However the 808 was damn close to the jet disc until about 17 deg yaw. Really close, then it shoots back up when it hits the stall angle and the jet keeps dropping. The only problem is they did them as open wheels so the disc numbers may be a little off when you put it in a bike. The 808 may even be as fast as the jet behind in a frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tire size is a huge deal. A 19mm wide H3 with a matching tire is going to be faster over a broader range of yaw angles than a much wider Zipp. At 10-15 degrees the Zipp may be slightly faster, but for all purpose riding throughout various yaw angles, the H3 will be faster. Much cheaper as well. The Zipp just allows you to use wider tires without as much of a performance hit. Narrower is almost always faster though. Plus you can buy a 15+ year old trispoke and have it perform just the same as a brand new one (other than a difference in weight) at a fraction of the cost. Veloflex Records are a good, low rolling resistance choice for a trispoke and are available as a tubular and a clincher.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs. HED H3 Flamme Rouge [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one on the next page is better it shows actual watts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a picture (graph) is worth a thousand words
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs. HED H3 Flamme Rouge [flesh_pile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on an independant test and what vince said your wholepost mnus the cheaper part is wrong. The firecrest is a huge deal. Just look at the graph, the h3d isnt in the same zone as the zipp 808 fc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
he firecrest is a huge deal. Just look at the graph, the h3d isnt in the same zone as the zipp 808 fc

riding the fc 808 cc is like a having a front disc wheel that handles like a 60mm rim
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs. HED H3 Flamme Rouge [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:
a picture (graph) is worth a thousand words

Give me a break the next page is a graph too just bar instead of line shesh haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just bustin your balls
Quote Reply

Prev Next