Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 808 Firecrest or Aeolus XXX 6
Quote | Reply
I have the opportunity to purchase a set of new wheels and I was looking for some slowtwitch wisdom to help me. I have the option to cheaply purchase either a set of Zipp 808 firecrest (not nsw) or a set of Aeolus XXX 6s. They will be going on a gen 2 speed concept and I run a Zipp Super 9 on the back for races. The pros for the Aeolus are...I can buy them for roughly $100 less and they are supposedly better in crosswinds (I am 175 and don’t get pushed around that much though). The Zipps are deeper, so one would think marginally faster...and swapping out a rear 808 with the disc would require less brake modulation due to both wheels being Zipps and roughly the same brake track width. I also think Zipp would have better resale value. I am looking to see if anyone has strong feelings for one over the other. If not, I will go with my gut. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 Firecrest or Aeolus XXX 6 [makahle1s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you plan to use them the most? If there are usually crosswinds there then it makes the decision easier. Where I ride is usually a headwind and a tailwind so the Zipps would be the choice for me. I am marginally heavier, so being pushed around is barely on my radar, and I wouldn't worry about the resale value as much since it is hit or miss on buyers who are good at negotiating, or are desperate.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had both; I would rather have the zips for racing.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp NSW with the Showstopper brake track, or "vanilla" 808? If it's the plain version, then the Bontragers are way ahead on braking performance.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 Firecrest or Aeolus XXX 6 [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
Zipp NSW with the Showstopper brake track, or "vanilla" 808? If it's the plain version, then the Bontragers are way ahead on braking performance.
It would just be the standard firecrest 808, not the NSW. But I believe this years Firecrest also have the showstopper brake track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the xxx 6 on my madone and the 808 w super 9 on my p5. For sure the xxx 6 in front is better in cross winds particularly at greater yaw. Disc not an issue for me in wind at 168-170. Advantage of the xxx 6s is you can use on road bike also. No road bike? Buy the xxx 6s and a cheaper madone frame and vola - super road bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 Firecrest or Aeolus XXX 6 [sharknado] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually have a 2015 Trek Madone but I am unsure if the new Aeolus wheels will fit given how wide they are. If I went with the Zipps, I would probably use them on both bikes. The other thing that is making me lean toward the Zipps would be the fact that I wouldn’t have to adjust the brakes when I swap out for the super 9. The Aeolus has a brake track width of 28mm. The Zipps are 26.4mm. It doesn’t seem like much but my bike shop said I would be suprised.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d go Zipp. Swapping wheels is easy and the 808 will be faster. Unless winds get to 15+ you won’t get pushed around much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Additional food for thought: the Aeolus wheels use rebranded DT Swiss hubs (which are pretty robust and are super easy to service).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of the xxx’s and the braking is great with the laser etched brake track. Just something else to consider
Quote Reply