Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 808C 2009 question
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone!
Do you know if the 2009 Clincher Version of the 808 will get the new rim shape like the tubular version?
I will be racing them next season no matter what (sponsor-never could afford them anyway^^)so no discussion about Zipp vs Hed necessary:)
best wishes

Benja
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808C 2009 question [Keule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure the 2009 rim is the same as the 2005-2008 rim.

only the Tubular versions changed.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808C 2009 question [bpq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, can't do it with the aluminum brake track from what I understand.

Tubulars-from Zipp and HED- are more aero and at the tire selection tip of the spear have less rolling resitance too.

Tubies are just plain faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808C 2009 question [rickn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just dont flat. and at the "high" pressure (i think above 130psi) there are no rolling resistance advantages to tubs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps the most impressive change(s) are the changes to the hubs. They have been completely redesigned with new seals and several other additional features that improve overall performance and reduce maintenance.

Zipp has done a nice job with the improvments to their wheels. It's a worthy update.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808C 2009 question [Everyone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the info! Although it wasn't what I wanted to hear;)^^
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hoping Josh at Zipp would chime in here.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808C 2009 question [rickn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Tubulars-from Zipp and HED- are more aero and at the tire selection tip of the spear have less rolling resitance too.

Without the rolling resistance arguments coming in... Tubulars have:

Better Cornering
Better Ride Quality

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Without the rolling resistance arguments coming in... Tubulars have:

Better Cornering
Better Ride Quality
interesting, since as someone who's tubulars actually do have less rolling resistance than my clinchers, I always race crits on clinchers specifically because to me at least, they handle better (since the tires are typically wider). They seem to have better ride quality as well--for this same reason.

I've never used a tubular that grips as well as a Pro3, or comes remotely close to a Pro Grip in wet conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808C 2009 question [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode 23cm clinchers before I made the switch to tubulars on both my trainers and race wheels. I feel a significant difference in my cornering capabilities, and I think the ride quality is unmatched.

I rode GP4000's for clinchers, and I ride Sprinter Gatorskins and Competitions for tubulars.

Interesting though, you make me want to try the beloved Michelin :) Weight weenie approved I believe. You did mention in road racing however, I believe that might have a large impact on how you ride. (compared to say the average triathlete)

Last edited by: Rycase: Dec 19, 08 16:25
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808C 2009 question [Rycase] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ridden GP 4000s. I wouldn't use them as a proxy for ride quality and cornering ability for clinchers, they are, in my estimation, in the bottom 50% amongst clinchers in both categories.

Stelvio
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808C 2009 question [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rolling resistance differences between tubulars and clinchers are pretty slim on the most recent update at biketechreview.com (revision 8, with the improved tubular gluing technique).
The HED C2 rims are supposed to go a long way towards narrowing the handling differences between tubes and clinchers.

Finally, why would you buy a whole new wheelset if the only upgrades (as described above) are in the bearing seals? Some aftermarket ceramic bearings would certainly be cheaper and perform better.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808C 2009 question [Bnjmn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rolling resistance of the very best tubies over the very best clinchers is just a small part of why tubies are a faster wheelset.
Tubies are also lighter, and while light weight takes a DRASTIC back seat to aerodynamics, weight STILL MATTERS!

Finally carbon tubies from Zipp and HED are faster than their clincher versions because you can't craft a true toridal rim shape with a clincher brake track. I've been told that the difference can be subustantial by folks at both Zipp and HED.

So tubies are lighter, more aero, and when properly equipped, have less rolling resistance as well. Are they more convienent? No, they are not. Are they faster? Yes, they are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
09 version will have the 08 rim profile as per their web site, the new tubular version will have the updated profile
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808C 2009 question [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the original question about Zipp 808 CLINCHER rim differences from 2008 to 2009 turn into a tubular vs clincher debate? GT finally answered the question thankfully.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808C 2009 question [wasfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe because it explains why the new zipp clinchers do not have the updated rim shape? Didn't score to high in reading comprehension eh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
09 version will have the 08 rim profile as per their web site, the new tubular version will have the updated profile
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808C 2009 question [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I'll try my post again. I seem to be having a problem with my text not showing up. Sorry for the multiple posts.

Gary,

Did you actually see somewhere on the Zipp website that said there was no update to the clincher 808 rim or are you deducing from the fact that the clincher "Overview" section doesn't mention it and the tubular "Overview" section does. I have been unable to find it on their site. They might not want to indicate that a particular part of product has not changed.

I am likely going to purchase an 808C front wheel to go with my disk. There are good deals on 2008s right now. Thanks. Stelvio
Quote Reply