Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 808's
Quote | Reply
What do you guys think of my Zipp 808's? These are actually generic wheels I got off of ebay and I slapped official zipp decals on there. I have a pair a original zipp 808's and got these just to try them out. Ive had them for about 1 year now and I have to say they have actually held up really well. They are a tad bit heavier than the real deal, but but as far as aero dynamics go I really cant tell a difference on my speed. All in all they get the job done at a fraction of the price!

Has any one else gotten a pair of these "Novatec" wheels and had any issues with them?

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's [melgarb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Debadge it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get why you would put Zipp decals on them when they are not Zipp wheels. Do you also draft and cut the course when you race?

For whatever it's worth, that would be my initial assumption based on these decals....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh, you seem to be open about them being generic carbon wheels.. I don't think there is any real harm unless you try to sell the wheels as Zipps. Would also be a superFRED move to try to pass them off as Zipps or brag on em as Zipps.

My thoughts on this parallel the guy who build a fiberglass Lamborghini in his garage. No harm in building it and driving it around as long as you are honest to what it truly is.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Would also be a superFRED move to try to pass them off as Zipps

Errrr...that's exactly what putting Zipp decals on generic wheels is... passing them off as Zipps!
Last edited by: atomic916: Apr 24, 13 19:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strange. I actually took the factory Zipp decals off my Zipps wheels. I just don't like advertising for someone for free. I like the products, but advertising is a bit too much for me. If I could figure out how to debadge my Felt frames, I'd be all over it. I guess stripping the sealer and then the decals is a bit excessive and may damage the carbon fiber.

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
melgarb wrote:
These are actually generic wheels I got off of ebay and I slapped official zipp decals on there.

That is, in a word, lame. And it makes you a tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's [atomic916] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atomic916 wrote:
Quote:
Would also be a superFRED move to try to pass them off as Zipps

Errrr...that's exactly what putting Zipp decals on generic wheels is... passing them off as Zipps!

Zipps (at least modern day ones) use a shiny carbon. These immediately look fake to me because the carbon is not of the same type of shiny weave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the deal: people get their identity and self esteem from labels like Iron Man, Zipp, Rolex, Mercedes, you name it. You see, having 4k to drop on a set of wheels, or 12k for watch, 90k for a car etc., sets them apart, makes them special. It's flaunting, a social status indicator and when you slap a sticker on your wheels or buy a fake Rolex, you essentially turn those men that paid the big bucks for products into the tools.

Bad form.
Last edited by: Grindcore: Apr 24, 13 20:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off topic, errr, kinda, but I've been looking for Chinese clinchers for the past month. College budget has me looking for cheapest free speed there is.... And if you were ever to sell these what would you be looking for??? Hypothetically.

The only easy day was yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AnthonyS wrote:
Strange. I actually took the factory Zipp decals off my Zipps wheels.....

Me too. Stealth-black all the way.

FWIW, to the OP I think it's pretty lame to put Zipp stickers on generic wheels, but whatever floats your boat. It doesn't hurt anybody (unless he passes them on to some unsuspecting dupe as Zipps, as the title of this thread might suggest) and Zipp gets some advertising, that ironically the OP paid Zipp to do for them!

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
I don't get why you would put Zipp decals on them when they are not Zipp wheels. Do you also draft and cut the course when you race?

For whatever it's worth, that would be my initial assumption based on these decals....

Whoa whoa whoa! Easy killer, did you ever stop to think that once upon a time when I was on a college budget I couldnt afford to drop +$1600 on just a set of wheels, and that MAYBE is just wanted to be as cool as you? Also, I did say that now I actually do have a pair of Zipps and I would never sell these to an unsuspecting person and try to pass them off as real. Thats just bad karma.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not going to comment on the decals on the wheels, but:

1) Looks like you should have gotten your bike at least a size smaller.
1b) Do you have an back injury?
2) why on earth would you put 88mm deep carbon wheels on a road bike?

Searchin eBay for 808's reveal loads of asian sellers trying to pass off these generic deep rims as Zipp's. They sell them with Zipp stickers on, but it is easy to see that they are build with non zipp hubs, non sapim spokes and the carbon weave on the rims is all wrong. That is a bigger issue than OP putting on Zipp decals to boost his own ego.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lame on so many levels

Lame to buy into conspicuous consumerism and to think the label on any wheelset has any bearing relative to the performance

Lame to actually pay for a set of Zipp labels so you could advertise some other wheels as being Zipps

Lame to think that riding any particular brand makes someone cool

Lame to announce to the world that you're proud to be riding around advertising to the world that you were 'cool' enough to ride wheels you're not actually riding

Lame to suggest cash strapped students would find this an attractive path when it's the cash strapped students that do truly cool things like ride stealth bikes with all the labels removed or ride, race, and win on what they can get their hands on with no regard to brand or cost or actually build up their fixies from junker bikes and then actually ride them day to day. Any of that is way cooler than riding a faux wheelset to show how cool you are.

Lame to try to defend all of the above when folks called you out for being a Fred
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's [Dave_Ryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say it s lame to be concern about what the OP is doing. He is happy of his creation and having fun. as long as he dosnt try to sell them as Zipp, i dont see anything wrong with him playing with his bike. He can Write mercedes on his frame or anything he wants, as long as he is enjoying it.... i m happy for him.

so far, he asnt give the hint that he want to sell them and scam someone...he just want to pretend for himself, no issue there....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply