Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 808's: How much force to crack wheel?
Quote | Reply
Upon removing my tire from my rear 808 yesterday I noticed a hairline crack where the leading outside edge of the of the rim meets the tire bed. I think this happened during the mooseman this year where I hit a pot hole so hard that my aerobars were jolted downward about an inch! At the time I stopped and check out the bike and wheels but didn't see anything. I went on to ride those wheels twice more at LP and in another HIM. So how much force does it take to cause this type of damage? I knew I hit prety hard, but needless to say I was realy surprised to learn I was riding on a damaged tire all season! I have a call into Zipp about their replacement program, so we will see how that goes. I'm wincing at the thought of taking the front tire off and inspecting that wheel, but hopefully its OK. The kicker is that if that race was where things went bad, that wheel would have had less than 30 miles on! Damm this is an expensive way of life!

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's: How much force to crack wheel? [etocaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesnt take much. Fractures on the brake surface are way more common than all the raves make it appear. My teammates broke morethan 4 pair of zipp wheels this year in that exact fashion. Number of reynolds,shimano , mavic carbon broken = 0. When I raced for Cane Creek, they used the 404 rims on the CC hubs. Between us and Jittery Joes pro we had almost 30 broken rims to send back at the end of the year. Granted we were racing, but who buys $$$ wheels to look at??? I'd never buy a zipp product with my own money.

Zipps replacement program is ~350++$ for a new rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's a bummer about your wheel. I don't really know how hard they can take a hit but I've raced on my 404 front for about 3+ years now with no problems. Granted I'm pretty careful but I do a good 10+ races a year on it. I am light though, 155lbs or so.

I've seen a friend blow his 404s apart nailing a 2 inch or so driveway step up at full speed in a race (friend is 160lbish) and another friend of similar build crack his on a 1/2" or so sharp pavement transition.

I really think that it depends on a number of thing including your build, your luck, and also probably the tire pressure you ride. and then again build and luck.

They are RACE wheels and you're paying for them to be superlight and then strong to a point. If you're worried in the future you might take a look at having the replaced with the 404 cross rim as it's a lot stronger with a very very very small weight penalty. Anyways, good luck, and yeah, tri can be a really expensive sport if you like top of the line stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's: How much force to crack wheel? [str8dum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Doesnt take much. Fractures on the brake surface are way more common than all the raves make it appear. My teammates broke morethan 4 pair of zipp wheels this year in that exact fashion. Number of reynolds,shimano , mavic carbon broken = 0. When I raced for Cane Creek, they used the 404 rims on the CC hubs. Between us and Jittery Joes pro we had almost 30 broken rims to send back at the end of the year. Granted we were racing, but who buys $$$ wheels to look at??? I'd never buy a zipp product with my own money.

Zipps replacement program is ~350++$ for a new rim.
were these tubulars, clinchers, or a mix of the two?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know an ST poster who cracked a 404 and another guy who did in two 303's. They seem a bit fragile from what I've seen. My wife hasn't had any problems with her Zipp's, but she's 115 lbs and usually only uses them on race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reply to: I noticed a hairline crack where the leading outside edge of the of the rim meets the tire bed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the same thing with my front 808 after going off the side of the road and hitting some rocks. It had less then 200 mi. on it. You might have another crack 180 degrees around the rim. Zipp charged me around $325. BUMMER!!!!

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply