Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zipp 606 ????
Quote | Reply
Who races on these?

What are your thoughts?

Would you recommend these over a disc rear, deep dish front?

How do they handle in crosswinds and would you say they are appropriate for flat courses (I live in FL)?

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 606 ???? [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought them instead of my first car in April of this year for $1900. I love them, they are light, stiff, and you can not feel cross winds like you do a disc. I used a HED disc before and I have not used it since.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 606 ???? [thekid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought them and absolutely love them, they are the best wheelset I've ever had. I sold my Zipp 909 disk after buying the 606's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
808's bro.....

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kinda wish that I bought this over the 909's. Seems like a more "all purpose" wheelset then having a disc. However, I picked up the 2005, 909's at discount 2004 prices so it was the price that made up my mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 606 ???? [Bladed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A front wheel that is as deep as the 808's would cause a rider to be thrown around in the wind. That is why the 606's are so great, you do not get thrown around. You have the 81mm deep rear wheel that is comparable to a disc in the back that is not affected by cross winds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race on these wheels (tubulars), great wheels. I wanted a set that I could race regardless of the wind conditions. I also think the 404 in the front is easier to handle than an 808. I have tested them both. On a windy and/or technical course, the 404 will be better in my opinion.

I would highly recommend the 606s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the 606, i tried them out last month when we had very gusty winds and I had no problems. The disk is just to damn heavy and the rear 808 is just as fast as a disk but much lighter. Go with the tubulars, there very durable as they have supported my 230lb ASS, you wont regret the purchase.

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A great wheel choice. I was racing on the 303's previously but wanted something more aero. The 606 is ideal. They are super light (only a few g's heavier than the 404) and very aero. The difference to the 303's is huge. One area of concern was I did crack the rim on the rear wheel (which Zipp replaced with no problem). So, they may not be as durable as the 404s.

For any windy or hilly course, I think they are perfect.

However, I will reserve these comments to the non-powerhouse riders. If you are able to put out the watts to justify the weight of a disk and have the bike control for it, then the 909 is the choice.

http://www.speedtheory.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to echo the sentiments already portrayed on earlier posts. I LOVE these wheels. I race with the tubular version in 700c (56ctc). They soak up bumps, are light to spin up and they are very stable in crosswinds. For comparison, I train with 2005 Am Classic CR420s and used to raqce with these until acquiring the zipps. The bearings are about 100 times better then the set in the american classics. Much like a really nice dura ace hubset. Buy them and ROCK ON!!!

--Brian

"We don't inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." --Chief Seattle
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 606 ???? [Decaboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If you are able to put out the watts to justify the weight of a disk and have the bike control for it, then the 909 is the choice. "

-------------------

I'm curious why you say that and not the 999s.

Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are too expensive. HED Jet wheels provide the same aerodynamic benefits along with great ride quality for half the price.
Last edited by: Stick: Oct 7, 05 17:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before the DA10, and a seat lift"

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 606 ???? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just my own opinion, but with the 808 on the front and the disk on the back, you really have to be solid on the bike. Take a look at Reid last year. He didn't even use the 80mm on the front wheel. But, he will probably pull it out this year and prove me wrong.

With unlimited funds, get both front wheels and play it by ear on race day. But if there is a cross wind.....

http://www.speedtheory.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 606 ???? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta agree that, cost no object, the 606s would be the sweetest all-around combination. For a more economical set I'd go with the Hed Jet 60/Deep 90 combination.

I've been using that combo this season and it's been damn fast, but I'm selling the wheels as I'm buying a 700c bike and getting out of the 650c thing. When I get the new bike set up and need new wheels I'd be perfectly happy to get the Hed 60/90 combination again in 700c, but if I had the coin to drop I'd go for the 606 set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A disk and a 404 would be a better all around wheelset. Especially in Florida. You'll be squirrely with a 404/606/808 front long before the disk on the rear would be a problem in strong winds. Rear wheels are essentially unaffected by wind, whereas front wheels can be easily affected, given the front wheel can turn in response to a gust.

Seriously if you ever decided to race in a Tropical Storm a disk and a shallow rim will be easier to handle than any combination of wheels with a 404 or deeper front.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 606 ???? [Mookie1986] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am looking at a set of Heds. Is there a reason you picked the 60 over the Alp for the front? From the numbers it looks like the Alp is a bit lighter and more aero (and a bit more expensive, of course). Just curious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I would like it better if Zipp had a model 666.

Natas, formerly Satan, formerly Sammo, formerly lucifer
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 606 ???? [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]A disk and a 404 would be a better all around wheelset. Especially in Florida.

Seriously if you ever decided to race in a Tropical Storm a disk and a shallow rim will be easier to handle than any combination of wheels with a 404 or deeper front.[/reply]

I second this, although I found that a 40-50mm front rim is more comfortable for me. I have a Jet60 (65mm depth) and a Spinergy Tilium/Stealth 43mm. I don't even ride the Jet anymore as I think the Tilium is faster, and I can ride it in prehurricane winds and TS winds (Ophelia this year-25+mph consistent with higher gusts). I don't have any issues with the Renn 575 with the same winds. I'd personally vote for a Tilium/Stealth or Alps/Stinger50 size, although I've been told the 404 is pretty good in crosswinds.

I strongly disagree with a previous poster on the ride of the Jet wheels...they are just like riding a strong box rim (not surprising since that's basically what they are under the skin). Great for durability but they don't have the damping of the Tilium or 404.

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm responding to this quote: "Go with the tubulars, there very durable as they have supported my 230lb ASS, you wont regret the purchase."

I'm about 195 pounds, and purchased the 606's tubulars to go with my Cervelo P3C. I'm however, not feeling the love from my 606's. I seem to be fasted with my Mavic Ksyrium SSL's. I've had them trued (they did need it after about 300 -400 miles) and the shop I purchased them from says their OK. So I have a couple of theories why this could be.

#1) I'm too big for the wheel - you dispell that one.

#2) I'm not a very good rider. The tires are Tufo 19mm jet specials. Could 19mm tires result in poor balance and slow me down? My Mavics are 23mm clinchers. I'm riding about 21MPH on 56 mile races. Actually, I just posted 20.3mph in my last race (with the 606's). I posted 20.6mph in May on my Mavics. Last year I was posting 22+ on my Mavics in shorter 40K events.

#3) There's something wrong with the tire installation. If you hold your top tube, spin the pedals (the back wheel), my bike oscillates up and down pretty hard. My guess 1 -2 pounds of weight is moving up and down when spinning fast. Intuitively, this would casue the tire to not hold speed (and slow me down over 50 miles). Does your 606 spin smoothly at high speed on this test? If it does, then does my logic make sense? My Mavic spin perfectly smooth on the same test.

Short of these three ideas, I can't imagine why these 606's would be slower for me. I fill the tires to 160 pounds. I started at 120 (as recommended), but found that I was working too hard. Also, they seem to spin smoothly (i.e. the bearings are good). They will go for many minutes on their own with a simple spin.

Ok, that's enough. Any thoughts are appriciated. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 606 ???? [chris_gr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Alp isn't as aero as the Jet 60. Not according to Hed's drag data, anyway. If you want a lighter 60 mm rim, you can always get one of Hed's Stinger wheels.

Rumor has it that the Alps wheels are going to be discontinued.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 606 ???? [bmitchell560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Piece of cake. Your tires are serious junk. You'd be faster on cheap ass box rims and $25 clinchers. You've got a bad tire^cubed. Tufo - bad, Jet - worse, 19mm - worse still, especially at your weight.

Get a good set of tubular tires. Anything other than Tufo's will be better and you'll be feeling the love from your wheels instantly.

* Yes I used to have a Zipp 404 with a Jet Special 19mm tire.

* Search the forum and you'll find at least 4 "tests" or "experiments" dealing exactly with this issue and the conclusion is always, always, always the same. The Tufo's are slow.

* Once you get good tires, go back to 120psi.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 606 ???? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monk

Nice bike! You took the decals off looks good. I might do the same.

QR I have 808's and like them. But I have only raced on them one time.(so I'm no expert) I did put a couple of hundred miles of training on them to get the wind thing down. I ride on a windy trail but it is kanda of head on to a slight cross wind. I have never use a disc.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 606 ???? [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you using the regular Zipp's or clydesdale Zipp's?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking at the 606's, but opted for the 808's instead (tubular, of course). I was concerned with being blown around with the deep rim up front ( I'm 6'3" and weigh 163lbs), but was told not to worry about it. The windy conditions at Eagleman this year were fine with the 808 front.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike R

Software Engineer and Mac geek
Aspiring to be front-middle-of-the-pack in 2010.
Quote Reply

Prev Next