Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 404s and dirt roads...
Quote | Reply
I've got a race this weekend that contains about 5 miles of dirt road. It's hard-packed dirt with some gravel. Nothing too serious. Will my 404s be up to the course, or would I risk damage taking them off road? They're the 18/24 spoke variety and I weigh a whopping 155 pounds.

If the Zipps are a bad idea, what about Mavic Cosmic Carbones?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404s and dirt roads... [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Risk it!

Andy (I work at Hed)

Seriously, if they were our wheels I would tell you to go ahead. Zipp makes nice sturdy wheels, but maybe someone who knows more about their product can give you a more definitive answer.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404s and dirt roads... [andyt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They use that same wheel for cyclocross, so I don't think you should have any problems. Just don't take any big hits. G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What race are you doing?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404s and dirt roads... [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was just concerned because I think the cross versions have a much higher spoke count.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404s and dirt roads... [Oregondave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell of the North (the SLC version, that is). You should check it out.

https://www.sportsbaseonline.com/files_flyers/596.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like fun! Wish I could join you, but we're heading down to St. George for the weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404s and dirt roads... [Oregondave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sunshine and warm weather. Sounds miserable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you believe that I even have to ride my bike down there?!!?!?!? Maybe even run?!?!?!?? Holy crap!
Quote Reply
Cross numbers [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked on the web sites and Reynolds uses 20/24 on theirs and Zipp sells a cross rim in mult drillings. They added 40 g carbon fiber to the 404 for cross. So now my answer would be to decide how important this race is. Is it worth risking a $1200 set of wheels to you? You probably could get away with it, but at what risk? I probably wouldn't risk it unless being the winner at any cost was important to me. I know the Boulder race is kind of a pecking order "tough guy" race. I have not heard of the SLC one, but it looks like fun. G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plenty of non free wheel getting cyclocross racers run
404's or 440's without problems. 5 miles is nothing to worry about.
I would say tire choice is a bigger deal
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404s and dirt roads... [steevo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubulars, obviously. Beyond that, everyone runs normal road tires - no cross tires or the like. Probably gives you a decent idea of the severity of the dirt road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go for it.

I put on a road race every year, the Cone Azalia Classic, and it has a section of dirt roads. Several people flat and chaos ensues. I've raced it just about every year on some Campagnolo Electon Tubies. Last year the guy who was 4th or 5th raced on 404s with no problems.

I'd say the Zipps are as likely as any wheel to make it, in the event of a disaster however, the smart choice might be a cheaper wheelset. Have you ridden the course?

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem with zipps on dirt roads, I do it all the time. I just wouldn't use a narrow tire - 22mm+ is fine, 24mm is probably the best for a higher gravel content. Even if the worst happens it's not likely the wheel will fail. I have damaged 3 rims in various incidents and in all cases I rode the rest of the way and couldn't even tell they were damaged.

In one case I rode a cracked 280 rim for around 500km before finally noticing it when I ran my finger along the edge and got a huge sliver of carbon fiber in my finger (it doesn't remove very well either).
Quote Reply