Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 404's, what rim tape will work? valve extensions too.
Quote | Reply
I have a new set of Zipp 404 clinchers. What rim tape will/should work? Do i need to buy the Zipp brand? Who has some experience? i havent needed rim tape in years. I will be using Schwalbe Ultremo tires, with Michelin as a back up. I read that Velox is not good for them,....true?

I'd buy the Zipp brand, because it's red, but i dont think my shop has it.
Thanks

Also the valve extensions, i have seen some that move the valve body to the tip of the extension. Any ideas?

Last edited by: B-Dub: Dec 28, 06 20:37
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404's, what rim tape will work? valve extensions too. [B-Dub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get tubes with the longer valve extensions. Nothing else comes close. Your lbs should have them or be able to get them.

I always use velox rim tape. It's always worked for me so I don't mess with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404's, what rim tape will work? valve extensions too. [B-Dub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velox rim tape is an industry standard and will work in Zipp clincher rims. Color shouldn't be a big factor as you hopefully won't be showing that part of your wheel to anyone during a race.

Tubes with 80 mm valve stems will allow you avoid using valve extenders. Other than that I would suggest getting the valve extensions that move the end outside of the rim since the nut thingy can't screw shut. The alternative would be to use a normal valve extension and just give the nut on a standard length tube an extra 1/4 twist so that it can't twist closed. If you use normal valve extensions be sure to wrap the threads in teflon tape to make a better seal.

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404's, what rim tape will work? valve extensions too. [Darrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I think i will plan on using some 80mm stem tubes. I dont want to add pipe tape to my cycling tool box.

The no-Velox info came from the Zipp paperwork or their web site. They said because it is too thick it will make the tire bead not seat correctly. But, if there is a consensus that it's OK then it's probably OK. I would rather buy the correct stuff once than find out that something doesnt work well and buy twice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using the Zipp tape works fine and most diffinitly go with the 80 mm valve extensions for your 404's. I also use a 60 mm for my 303's and they work really well.

Kevin S.
www.roarkcycle.com
Quote Reply