Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 2001 what is the difference in these two pics
Quote | Reply
I thought all 2001 were the the same till I noticed a slight variation in the head tube , it appears the smaller of the two is more like Softride headtube. i' m not mistaken am I seeing the difference...is there any other notable differences in these.

Picture one has a smaller head tube

Picture I found has. Larger head tube

age is just a number after your name
Last edited by: AussieMikeinSD: Feb 3, 14 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 what is the difference in these two pics [AussieMikeinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The top one is a small frame. The bottom the large one I believe.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 what is the difference in these two pics [AussieMikeinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello AussieMikeinSD,

The first image you posted is a Zipp 700c small frame large beam and a second image is a 700c large frame small beam. The small frame has a shorter head tube which has a top tube tilts downward and a large frame has a larger head tube which has a horizontal top tube. The large frame is really large that would fit riders around 6’ tall or taller especially with large beam. The small frame is really small that would fit riders about 5’ to 5’7".

Here are example of my Zipp 2001 and 3001 bikes specification:

Zipp 3001 650c small frame large beam.

Zipp 2001 650c small frame small beam.

Zipp 2001 650c large frame small beam.

Zipp 2001 650c large frame large beam.

You can tell the different from far away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The price of the bottom one clearly is too much since it's been on craigslist for about 6 months.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Last edited by: nebmot: Feb 18, 14 20:35
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 what is the difference in these two pics [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I contacted the seller and his price was firm.

There is another guy on eBay who has been trying very hard to make money on his Zipp frame with nothing on it, not even rear drop out for extremely high price. He changes prices up and down all the time. He bought the complete Zipp bike on eBay and he immediately stripped the whole bike off into complete pieces. He sells every part of it at complete insane high price. He is truly not a bike fan but a guy who is trying to make money out of real bike fan. I had a deal with him and when he sent me an invoice, it indicated as a damaged frame. I asked him to resent another invoice indicating used but in good condition just like what he said on phone for delivery insurance. The payment went through but the shipment never arrived. Instead of answering my phone calls and emails, there was an email from a woman who told me that she was his wife and said that she decided to take the frame with her to another country. Finally the money was refund after a long await. It was the most unusual deal I have ever encountered.

There are more people like this out there trying to make money and who do not really appreciate of it. There was a guy at the swap meet that happens to get his hand on a really nice Zipp frame. He dragged it around on a rough pavement and had it knock around when he mixed it up with tools and junks, real sad to see it. He used the guy from eBay price as a reference.
Last edited by: maxtbicycle: Feb 19, 14 17:04
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 what is the difference in these two pics [maxtbicycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The brake sitting on ebay is what cracks me up...$650??? For what... I've got somebody the hookup on discount sitting in my garage ;)

Oh... just because it's always a good time for pictures... Updated 2001 with some Tririg goodies. (rear brake is an Omega too)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 what is the difference in these two pics [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,
I have just falling in love with Tririg center pull brakes recently. They look beautiful. You have good taste.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 what is the difference in these two pics [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I miss that one mightily, though I have been unable to replace it so far in 700c due to the outrageous prices. I'd rather buy a Dimond for $6k than a 20 year old Zipp for more than it originally cost.
I did just get a Falco V, which is a very nice machine. It's likely quite a bit faster and has about the same amount of beam deflection as the Zipp. I'll have photos up by the weekend.

Glad you're still improving (and enjoying) the Zipp!

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 what is the difference in these two pics [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am hating myself for missing that small beam that sold on ebay the other day, I'm gonna hunt one down soon so I can swap between large/small. That and I'm interested in scoring a cheap(ish) Vuma Chrono crank for the full updated look. And a PT 650 wheel... and maybe a new FC front... after that it's finished...I swear...right?
Framesets have been selling crazy high the last bit it seems like.

Yes! Post pictures... that bike looks sweet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd stick with those cranks. Sad I sold them too, though they wouldn't fit on almost anything else I have. I only sold the bike because HED and Zipp both told me they weren't making wide rimmed wheels, which turned out to be bullshit. Oh well.

Do you need the smaller beam? I thin you'll find the saddle adjustment quite poor in comparrison.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 what is the difference in these two pics [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't really "need" the small beam, but it's something I'd like to have to play around with.

Yeah I'd definitely not get rid of the current crank, I've just always thought the Vuma looked sweet :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's amazing how much people want for these bikes and framesets! The guy here in San Diego has one for about 4k! Still for sale too.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 what is the difference in these two pics [maxtbicycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Just after some advice please,as I can see you know your stuff.

I recently seen a Zipp 2001 for sale it was a; Large frame with small Beam - 700c. I am 185cm in height and I'm unsure whether this bike would fit me?

Regards
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 what is the difference in these two pics [Mike0854] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mike,
You are 185cm which is 6 ft tall. Please provide your inseam length. If your inseam is 30 inches (76cm) to 34 inches (86cm) in length, the frame would work for you. If your inseam is longer than that, large frame large beam would work for you. Zipp beam is very sensitive and the tip end at the top of the bolt joint area can easily crack if you adjust the beam too high. The tip point would rub against the frame when the beam bounces. Any Zipp beam cracks is the one and only beam for any frame to replace. That is why I have been encouraging people to know Zipp frames well and to take extra care for them.
Sincerely,
Maxt T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for replying back Max, woo hoo my inseam is under 34 inches so now the decision whether to buy or not. I understand there is a lot to learn about the mechanics of this bike and I have none what so ever this bike or any other just how to ride them FAST. But what a fantastic machine these are! If I decide to buy this machine of a bike can I use some of your knowledge please?

As reading your reply (The tip point would rub against the frame when the beam bounces. Any Zipp beam cracks is the one and only beam for any frame to replace. That is why I have been encouraging people to know Zipp frames well and to take extra care for them.)

I know there is so much learn!

Thanks
Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
leegoocrap wrote:
The brake sitting on ebay is what cracks me up...$650??? For what... I've got somebody the hookup on discount sitting in my garage ;)

Oh... just because it's always a good time for pictures... Updated 2001 with some Tririg goodies. (rear brake is an Omega too)

Too clean. Needs a food box, three bottles plus aerodrink, spare tire kit, and you got yourself a nice tri bike there. ;)
Quote Reply