Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 2001 3001 _ Does anyone know how to install headset and what kind of glue to use for the cups installation?
Quote | Reply
Hi Friends,

I have owned so many Zipp bikes in my life but I have never installed or replaced any headset. I remember Zipp 2001 and 3001 need to use glue to in install the cups. The cups is completely loose inside the head tube. Please let me know what type and brand of epoxy glue to use for installing the cups. Any tip would help, thank you friends.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/maxtbicycle/
Last edited by: maxtbicycle: Aug 25, 18 10:39
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 3001 _ Does anyone know how to install headset and what kind of glue to use for the cups installation? [maxtbicycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always thought that those frames used a regular pressed in headset.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 3001 _ Does anyone know how to install headset and what kind of glue to use for the cups installation? [maxtbicycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe try and contact TJ Tollakson from Dimond/Ruster Sports if you have no luck. He rode one and then got the Zipp engineer of the time to develop the Dimond. He is very technical and very helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 3001 _ Does anyone know how to install headset and what kind of glue to use for the cups installation? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, I will try to find his contact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cups were glued in using 3M DP100 epoxy. There are many similar products on the market, the key is that it has a softening point lower than the surrounding carbon, so you can remove the old headset with heat.

https://www.3m.com/...-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Scotch-Weld-Epoxy-Adhesive-DP100/?N=5002385+3293242434&rt=rud

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 3001 _ Does anyone know how to install headset and what kind of glue to use for the cups installation? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing, thank you for your information. I was not sure which epoxy to use. I was afraid to buy the wrong one and it will end up hard permanently. What information do I need to look for to know the softening point lower than the surrounding carbon? Is there a number level of hardness for it? Sorry for silly questions.
Last edited by: maxtbicycle: Aug 25, 18 10:20
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 3001 _ Does anyone know how to install headset and what kind of glue to use for the cups installation? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not know what reason Zipp went to this direction. Heating up epoxy along with carbon fiber could do a lot of damage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you you heat up the cups, cool the outside with a sponge or something simular and be very carefull, only apply the heat needed to soften the glue.
The aluminum tube inside the headtube heats up, expands and can crack the carbon.
Last edited by: Fred12: Aug 25, 18 16:13
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 3001 _ Does anyone know how to install headset and what kind of glue to use for the cups installation? [Fred12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a very big fan of Zipp 2001 and 3001. I think it is the most beautiful design in the world. I am very disappointed to learn that Zipp designed their frame this way. What happen if the top cup does not align with the bottom cup when the epoxy glue dried up? This way the headset can be damaged when steer. There was a guy who tried to pound the cups off with hammer. The cups did not come off and the carbon cracked at the head tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try sending a pm to Morelock also - he rebuilt a Zipp bike a little while back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The glass transition temperature of the adhesive is only 93 degrees F. That is nowhere near hot enough to cause issues with the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 3001 _ Does anyone know how to install headset and what kind of glue to use for the cups installation? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Try sending a pm to Morelock also - he rebuilt a Zipp bike a little while back.

Most of the guys that have commented have a bit more experience than me with these things. Chicanery did most of the fabrication work on the one I own fwiw.
I'm not sure if he still answers questions/services them, but Dave Hill is of course the #1 expert on these things.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Large frame small beam from San Francisco CA
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 3001 _ Does anyone know how to install headset and what kind of glue to use for the cups installation? [Evhsf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Evhsf wrote:
Large frame small beam from San Francisco CA
In Reply To:

I'm Ron Burgundy?

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 3001 _ Does anyone know how to install headset and what kind of glue to use for the cups installation? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a particular reply to you but I was admiring the bikes in the original post. The GT vengeance has bottle cage bosses on the seat tube. I don't know the age of the bike but it must have been 20 if not 30 year before anyone else decided to replicate this feature on mass.
Quote Reply