Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 2001 - Zipp 3001 beam transfer
Quote | Reply
I have a Zipp 2001 (650c) with a large frame and small beam, and I also have a Zipp 3001 (700c) with large frame and large beam. The 3001 is too large for me, and I wanted to see about taking the beam from the 2001 650c and putting it on the 3001 700c. My questions is, when the limited edition 3001's were made, was it only the frame that had special carbon fiber, or was it the beam too? I do not want to mix and match as I am afraid that it will destroy the resale value as I will be selling the 2001 shortly and the 3001 down the line. Also, does anyone know about finding smaller seat brackets for either of these bikes, the existing one is too large. Please let me know your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 - Zipp 3001 beam transfer [heavyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why not just sell both now and use the cash to get a bike that fits you?

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 - Zipp 3001 beam transfer [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
these bikes are pretty hard to find. if i can find a 3001 with large frame and small beam i would jump on it, but that is not an option right now. i would let the 3001 go for $4k and the 2001 go for $2k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 3001 had one layer of unidirectional boron which helped 'stiffen' the frame. From everything that I have read about it since it came out, that is the only difference (I think that they even used the same modulus of carbon fiber as well for the remaining layers). I would seriously think about what others have said about selling both and getting something that fits you perfectly. If you want/ need the suspension, you can go with the Look which has an elastomer which provides suspension. With that said, I ride a titanflex, which I absolutely love.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
If the large beam and large frame are only a little to big for you, you might be able to use smaller cranks to make it fit?

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 - Zipp 3001 beam transfer [Jiowa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good suggestion, but i am off by a large amount. i am almost finished making a custom seat bracket that will drop the seat rails to right on top of the beam. I think it will still be an inch too tall. i will let you know how it turns out in a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size are the current crank arms?

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 - Zipp 3001 beam transfer [Jiowa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i ahve 170's on them right now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a square taper bottom bracket you could probably find some cheap 160 mm or even 155 mm crank arms. Could be wrong, but I'm guessing 170 is probably too big for you anyway.

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you still have your zipp bikes?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 - Zipp 3001 beam transfer [badass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do. Email me at heavyd at g mail com and I will send you pics and info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no reason not to swap the beams. The extra boron material in the 3001 was only down each side of the main tube. The beams were identical.

The sizing issue that you are seeing is exactly why they made 2 beams and two frame sizes. Between the 4 combinations, they could fit most people.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 - Zipp 3001 beam transfer [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chicanery. You are right, switching the beams is not as big a deal as I thought it would be. Dave Hill, the guy that used to work on the frames, said that all beams were the same across 650 and 700's, as well as across 2001 and 3001's. Even with that, I think I am going to sell. I am ready for a modern bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be sad. I have an SC 7.0 with Ventus bars and a Suplicy Quantum - both are slower than the Zipp 2001.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just PM'd you for both frames & beams......
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 - Zipp 3001 beam transfer [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree...i have had a few former zipp owners contact me saying they wish they had never sold theirs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an unused beam, the saddle attachment and the height adjuster that I am going to sell. I can not remember the size, but it should be small if there are only two sizes. Could you let me know the measure of the long and short beams?

Thanks,
Tom
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 - Zipp 3001 beam transfer [tnostrant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you send me a pic? I can tell by looking at it whether it is small or large. The large has a much more higher angle kick to it. Please email me at heavy d at g mail com with a pic and price. Thank you so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heavyd - i have a 650c 2001 zipp (all original) and may be looking to sell at some point. don't know if i have large or small beam - how do i tell?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 - Zipp 3001 beam transfer [Tmac2011] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i scored a small beam for my bike, so i am no longer in the market. send me a pic, and i can tell you the frame size and beam size by looking at it. email me at heavyd at g mail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tmac2011

Do you still have the bike? I'm about to be in a similar situation being.. vertically challenged, it's sometimes hard to find the right gear but I've found a 3001 that is amazing.. but with a large beam. Perhaps your 2001 is a small/ small?? I'd love to find out and perhaps talk about it...

thanks in advance
Scott

Further WiTHiN.. going further in WiTHiN
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 - Zipp 3001 beam transfer [mscottault] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott,
My 2001 is a small/small 650. Am thinking of how to upgrade whole bike as most everything except wheels are original from '97. The bike is still crazy fast even with an older guy carrying too much weight - raced it at IM Munice a couple of weeks ago. Just bought TriRig brakes and going to start the research on components and aerobars. Any recos?
You can e-mail me at t_mcloughlin@hotmail.com
Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi there,
i'm really new here and i'm building up my zipp 2001.
i've got a large frame, large beam, and the build up is almost ready but the bike's too big for me.
i'm looking for a small beam, willing to buy or trade.

does anyone have a small beam looking to sell or trade for a large one? or knows of someone who has one?
if yes, please contact me at tanjwb (a) gmail.com

Thanks!

Cheers,
Ben
Quote Reply