Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 182 Shimano/Sram hubs - Help needed for annoying creaking noise
Quote | Reply
Hi Slowtwitchers,

I have a quite annoying problem with my Zipp 808 rear wheel/hub: 2-3min into every ride and only upwards of 250 watts the hub begins to make a creaktin noise that almost drives me mad! I have already tries the following fixes to no avail:

1. Using different cassettes, so it's not the cassette.
2. Removing, cleaning and remounting the cassette body as well as the - for lack of a better term (I am German) - "teeth" of the cassette body.
3. Removing, cleaning and reinstalling the axle.

I have noticed that the cassette body has just a little wear where the 5 cog "sits" on it.

I suspect there are two probeble causes for the sount:

1. The bearings
2. The cassette body itself.

My first approach was to replace both the cassette body and the bearings but the German Zipp distributor is not able to supply the cassetty body.

I now wonder what to do.

p.s. I bought the wheel in spring 2009 so it's possible to deal with the problem as a warranty case.
Last edited by: hazelman: Aug 29, 11 5:47
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 182 Shimano/Sram hubs - Help needed for annoying creaking noise [hazelman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike acts like a tuning fork, eliminate one possibility at a time. Type of frame? Change the wheels to make sure it is not that. Very lightly grease the rear dropouts (both sides). Good luck!

-----------------------------------------------------------
"You do what you have to do , so can do what you want to do."
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 182 Shimano/Sram hubs - Help needed for annoying creaking noise [duron43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duron43 wrote:
The bike acts like a tuning fork, eliminate one possibility at a time. Type of frame? Change the wheels to make sure it is not that. Very lightly grease the rear dropouts (both sides). Good luck!

Oh yes, those carbon frames amplify the tiniest sounds to a benshees shriek. But here it's not the frame. I have tried the wheel on three bikes, carbon and titanium alike: Same sound on all three bikes with different skewers.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 182 Shimano/Sram hubs - Help needed for annoying creaking noise [hazelman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good you really have it narrowed down to the wheel/cassette. Is there any play (sloppy fit of the cassette and the wheel? When you removed the cassette did notice a huge amount of "nicks" or damage to the spline that the cassette slides on? That's all I can think of maybe someone else has a soulution.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"You do what you have to do , so can do what you want to do."
Quote Reply