Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 177 Hub - Driver body pulled off by hand?
Quote | Reply
Hoping someone knowledgeable about Zipp's new 177 hub can help me out.

I received a rear 808 with the new 177 hub & installed a cassette last night. Whenever I install / tighten down a cassette I always grab the inner-most cog with my hands and try to wiggle the cassette up and down the driver body to be sure there is no play (just habitual). When I do this with the 177, the QR cap and entire driver body starts to slide off the axle! I've seen QR end caps that we're easy to tap off with a skewer, but never imagined a QR cap could be slid off by hand (it's not like I was applying 'that' much force...). That being said, I'm not particularly mechanically knowledgeable about hubs / wheels in general. Anyone know if this is this normal? Are the QR end caps just not that secure on this hub?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 177 Hub - Driver body pulled off by hand? [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

You completely destroyed it! I really hope you got insurance when you purchased it!

just kidding. this behavior is normal. http://www.zipp.com/..._Hubs_SM_ENGLISH.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 177 Hub - Driver body pulled off by hand? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nick. But even in the manual, it says you need to use a vice or the tried and true skewer method. Why wouldn't they just say "grab the hub body and pull" ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess it is possible yours is a bit loose. But there is always the elegant method, and then there is the get-it-done method. I've never owned a vice and done this by hand before. Hopefully someone who really specializes in the 177/77 hubs can chime in, as I don't have one in the garage I can pull on to test for you. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 177 Hub - Driver body pulled off by hand? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah - Thanks for the reply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do the exact same thing and discovered the same thing.

I called a trusted shop mech and asked and he said he was pretty sure it was normal.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 177 Hub - Driver body pulled off by hand? [jmuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks gives me comfort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
normal
Quote Reply