Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 1080 vs. Campy Bora 50mm
Quote | Reply

So...I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet (at least I haven't seen...sorry if I missed it), but how much time did Cadel "leave on the course" by having to run just a Campy Bora 50mm deep front wheel vs. Sastre running a Zipp 1080. From what I could tell there was a moderate amount of breeze so performance at "yaw" could be a factor.

Hmmm...according to this testing linked below, vs. an 808 he was giving up around 7.5W. Let's say it was 10W for a 1080. That would make it 53 seconds closer, or only 12 seconds off the podium. Ohhh, so close...I wonder what tires he was running...

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-15505311.html

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 vs. Campy Bora 50mm [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and Cadel wasn't wearing booties either... that being said- both Sastre and Evans could both work on their aero position... Sastre- although fast, looked like a sail. The Garmin boys seem to leave nothing on the table (maybe except for clinchers)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
his tyres said vredestein on the first tt. Can't remember what I compared them to (it wasn't the FMBs) but it was 17s against something near the top of the list.

Lets start bashing thefastestbikeintheworld.com - it doesn't seem to have been accurate ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 vs. Campy Bora 50mm [mlinenb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
and Cadel wasn't wearing booties either... that being said- both Sastre and Evans could both work on their aero position... Sastre- although fast, looked like a sail. The Garmin boys seem to leave nothing on the table (maybe except for clinchers)

I think you might want to look closer. Just like last year, they were sublimated to LOOK like his shoes underneath.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 vs. Campy Bora 50mm [mlinenb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
before Fredly's head explodes--Cadel was wearing booting (they were sublimated to look like his shoes). Don't feel badly, I missed it, too...

r.e. rider positions, while the eyeball windtunnel questions both of them, who knows? I'm sure they've both been in the tunnel, and a big part of it is choosing a position which the rider can maintain on a rolling 50K course. I agree Sastre doesn't look great, but he may just bend differently.

As far as tires and Vandevalde's tire choice, I'll just say that they're not leaving anything on the table--I'm pretty confident of that one.
Last edited by: roady: Jul 26, 08 21:15
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 vs. Campy Bora 50mm [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the aerodynamic section of that site
367 and 380 Watts to go 40Kph ??? Am I missing something ?? that's too high even on a mountain bike!! And what is the use of even pointing out the rider's HR for a 1min53 sec effort ???

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." Oscar Wilde
Last edited by: ACTN3: Jul 26, 08 21:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
... That would make it 53 seconds closer, or only 12 seconds off the podium. Ohhh, so close...I wonder what tires he was running...

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-15505311.html
It would probably be less than 53 seconds since there were sections where the had to accelerate and decelerate and the Bora would have the advantage over the 1080.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 vs. Campy Bora 50mm [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deeper wheels are best with higher wind and it wasn't particularly windy out on the circuit yesterday apparently.

In the lower yaw part of the drag curve, they're all fairly similar so I supect it wouldn't have made more than 10 secs difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 vs. Campy Bora 50mm [zebragonzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The real aero question which needs to be asked is how much time did cadel's dimpled chin save him?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 vs. Campy Bora 50mm [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I agree Sastre doesn't look great, but he may just bend differently."

NO NO NO!!!! Everyone is the exact same in every way. It is impossible to be aerodynamic and have a good position unless an STer can look at a photo and know for a fact it is the best position. All this belief that people have a position for their body type is a lie.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 vs. Campy Bora 50mm [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

As far as tires and Vandevalde's tire choice, I'll just say that they're not leaving anything on the table--I'm pretty confident of that one.

No CX?

"Both wheels are fitted with 20mm-wide Vittoria Crono EVO-CS tubular slicks. Both wheels are fitted with 20mm-wide Vittoria Crono EVO-CS tubular slicks. " http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ande_velde_felt_DA08
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 vs. Campy Bora 50mm [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm quite interested in the distance off his back that he had his helmet.

Does anyone know if he's been in a wind tunnel?
Quote Reply