Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 1080 rear respoked as front???
Quote | Reply
Would this be possible? Also would it even be worth it or would the increased spoke count(20 spokes) make it about as aerodynamic as a 16 spoke 808?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 rear respoked as front??? [inaba116] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm confused. "Why?" is the first question that pops into the mind. You'd have to get a front hub with the appropriate spoke count, then have the wheel rebuilt. It'd be stiffer. Stiffer likely than it needs to be (and maybe than you'd want it to be).

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 rear respoked as front??? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you just have a extra one lying around?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 rear respoked as front??? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am getting the new Plasma LTD which comes with a 1080 rear and 808 front. I already have a Zipp 900 powertap as my rear wheel and since the 1080 is not powertap compatible I was going to sell it. Now I am entertaining this idea of making it my front wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a reasonable idea. Don't worry about 4 extra spokes, and have somebody competent do the rebuild. There's lots of nice 20 hole front hubs out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not that it can't be built with a Powertap, it's just Zipp won't build it, and will void the rim warranty if you do.

20 hole front hubs are easy to source, and would build a monstrously stiff front wheel. You could sell this to a track sprinter and buy a 16 spoker instead.

A good wheel builder could probably build a 10 spoke wheel using every second spoke hole, as I suspect the rim would be strong enough, but I'm not sure this would be the best idea.
Some other spoke count using an odd lacing pattern could also be built, so course.

"Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. Step 2: There is no step 2." - Barney (How I Met Your Mother)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 rear respoked as front??? [neil_laing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

20 hole front hubs are easy to source, and would build a monstrously stiff front wheel. You could sell this to a track sprinter and buy a 16 spoker instead.
Building this way causes the spokes to be off centered and since Zipps have deep CF spoke holes, It would definitely not be a good idea.

Normally, holes are alternating on each side of the hub, and they match the alternating and directional spoke holes on the rim.

x = left flange, o = right flange

x o x o x o x o

If you skip, then you end up with this on the right flange.

X o Y o X o Y o X

The spoke in the left flange should be centered between the right spokes (Ys), but you'll notice that holes on the wrong side of the wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 rear respoked as front??? [android] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it's my 10 spoker you're taking issue with, not the 20. Fair enough.

Mind you, I did say it wasn't a brilliant idea.

"Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. Step 2: There is no step 2." - Barney (How I Met Your Mother)
Quote Reply