Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 1080 question
Quote | Reply
My previous wheelset was a Renn disc and non firecrest 808 at the front. They went pretty well. I've now got a new Time Machine and Zipp 900 disc and am shopping around for a front. Not a heap of cash left after recent purchases so not sure if I can afford a firecrest 808 (my preference). Cheapest I've seen in Australia (2nd hand) is $800. However there are a few 1080s knocking about for $300ish. Would that be a better option over a non firecrest 808? All my races are flat and I can handle deep dish wheels in the wind. Is there a significant difference in performance between a 1080 and a firecrest 808?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 question [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone recently posted an old Zipp time savings chart in another thread - I just can't remember which one. The chart showed the 1080 being faster than the original 808. iirc, the 1080 was discontinued because the 808 Firecrest was its equal (or better?).
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 question [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Someone recently posted an old Zipp time savings chart in another thread - I just can't remember which one. The chart showed the 1080 being faster than the original 808. iirc, the 1080 was discontinued because the 808 Firecrest was its equal (or better?).

Yeah the firecrest 8-8 is quicker, if there' not much in it, I guess go for the 1080 then?

A previous post I just found:

zipp marketing literature claims, on average, the 808FC pair saves 96 seconds over 40k. the 1080 pair saves 90 seconds for the same distance.
Last edited by: zedzded: Aug 15, 17 18:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, for an extra $500, unless the 6 seconds matter (and they could in TTs), I'd take the 1080.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:

Yeah the firecrest 8-8 is quicker, if there' not much in it, I guess go for the 1080 then?

A previous post I just found:

zipp marketing literature claims, on average, the 808FC pair saves 96 seconds over 40k. the 1080 pair saves 90 seconds for the same distance.

I seem to remember something coming up later about the 1080's being faster than the 808 (pre-FC?) because the aero test results don't compensate for the watts to spin differences. This may have come from BikeTechReview?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the 1080 will be very close to the 808 FC...that said..... it is a beast to handle in the wind. yes,....you can be good at handling a bike but this will bring bike handling to a new level on a windy day.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get the 1080 simply because it looks so awesome!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode a 1080 one time when trying to decide between an 808 and a 1080.

I'm a big guy and usually run a 808 in the front...and that 1080 felt like it had a mind of it's own even in the slightest breeze. That was the decision maker for me right there....and it bummed me out because the 1080 did look pretty sweet.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 question [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:

I'm a big guy and usually run a 808 in the front...and that 1080 felt like it had a mind of it's own even in the slightest breeze. That was the decision maker for me right there....and it bummed me out because the 1080 did look pretty sweet.

ha ha uh oh.. I have got a PlanetX 80mm front that I used as a training wheel so I guess if the 1080 was that bad I could just end up using that. I have ridden my disc/808 in some pretty bad conditions, had a lot of movement, but was manageable so perhaps it might be OK?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I was just better set up when I had one but I never had a problem with mine. Rode all distance races from sprint to IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a 1080 for a couple years and thought it was great. I never had issues with it in the wind. I'm sure it pushes you around more than an 808 but it was never noticeable that I was worried about it.

I know they can't because of the size of the wheel but if they came out with a firecrest version of the 808 I'd be all over it since it just looked awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode a 1080 tubular for 5 years was fine. Had some of my best bike splits on it.

I am 140 lbs, had no issues in the wind with a 808 front.
Had no issues with the wheels.

Also I have a disc cover that fits great if you are interested let me know. ( I bought the 1080 so I can do non disc races and then a put a cover on it when I could).

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Geek_fit wrote:

ha ha uh oh.. I have got a PlanetX 80mm front that I used as a training wheel so I guess if the 1080 was that bad I could just end up using that. I have ridden my disc/808 in some pretty bad conditions, had a lot of movement, but was manageable so perhaps it might be OK?

To be fair, I have stereotypical Triathlete bike handling skills. ie SH*T... So that's probably also part of it. That being said, I don't have the same issues on an 808.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Geek_fit wrote:

To be fair, I have stereotypical Triathlete bike handling skills. ie SH*T... So that's probably also part of it. That being said, I don't have the same issues on an 808.

Yeah I raced BMXs as a kid and MTB, so I guess my bike handling skills are better than most triathletes. When I did first ride my disc/808 in strong winds I was a bit worried with the amount of movement I was getting, but quickly figured out that it was manageable. I can imagine someone new to riding being totally freaked out though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm not new. I'm just not very good at bike handling.

Haha
Quote Reply