Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 1080 Wheel Cover
Quote | Reply
My master plan last fall for a set of Zipp 1080 wheels was to get a cover from Wheelbuilders and convert the rear 1080 into a lenticular Sub 9. Unfortunately at that time Wheelbuilders did not have a cover designed for the 1080 and of course subsequently USA Cycling has banned the use of wheel covers in the Maters Natz as of this year. Not sure but I think wheel covers are OK in the tri world ?? Longish story but I got in touch with Joe Wiley from Wheelbuilders and asked him about the 1080 cover project. I sent the wheel down to them and they came up with a cover for it. Here are some pictures hopefully showing the lenticular surfaces and the valve cut out. For racing I'll take the plastic fasteners out and tape the edges. If interested you might want to email Wheelbuilders - not sure it they feel comfortable yet shipping kits or if they might want your wheel to work on ??

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 Wheel Cover [AFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks sweet, what's the width of the bulge around the sub9? 60mm or 80mm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet! I just got a 2009 1080 rear wheel a few days ago and was going to ask Wheelbuilders if they plan on making a wheel cover for it. I'm not in any hurry, but I will email them to express my interest in a kit when it's truly ready.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 Wheel Cover [Maxma01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Looks sweet, what's the width of the bulge around the sub9? 60mm or 80mm?

The Sub 9 disc that I have is ~ 70 mm measuring radially from the outer tip of the tire bed to the point at which the disc becomes flat - the max thickness is 28.3 mm. The 1080 with wheel cover is ~ 95 mm to the start of the cover - the max thickness is only 26.0 mm. So actually the 1080 that I have is thinner than the Sub 9 - interesting as I had heard that the Sub 9 was built on the 1080 rim ?? The 1080 is also thinner so might work better on a Cervelo ?? I acquired both wheels in '08. Hopefully the covered 1080 will be fast but no way to really tell without tunnel or field testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe a dumb question, but if you are putting a cover on, why not an 808 or 404 instead of the boat anchor 1080 ?

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 Wheel Cover [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was wondering that too.

I would have just assumed he was doing that so he would be covered in all conditions, but he said he got the wheel with this in mind?

I am not wildly up on zipps but IIRC isnt this wheel much heavier in comparison to the 404 and 808?

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 Wheel Cover [newbz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i was wondering that too.

I would have just assumed he was doing that so he would be covered in all conditions, but he said he got the wheel with this in mind?

I am not wildly up on zipps but IIRC isnt this wheel much heavier in comparison to the 404 and 808?

Got a great deal on the set. I only do flat TT's where weight isn't very important. The 1080 with cover weighs ~ 1100 grams compared to the Sub 9 listed at ~ 1000 grams on the Zipp website so not much difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would imagine that the trimmer cover more than compensates for the additional wheel weight. You are in essence trading plastic cover for carbon fairing when you go from 808 to 1080.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
got it,

thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Al, thanks for posting these pictures. It looks good! For those that are interested, we have a kit ready for the 1080's now. We've done them with a Powertap now too and the fit is nice.

Just to be sure, we are actually called "Wheelbuilder" and can be found at http://www.wheelbuilder.com

-Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 Wheel Cover [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much faster should one expect to go with a wheel-covered 1080 versus 1080 naked on an rolling Ironman course?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 Wheel Cover [bhobbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is no good answer to this. It mainly depend of how windy the day will be. The more wind, the more you will gain..... but on a calm day...probably a few seconds... on a super windy day, we are talking in minutes...

i dont adress the weight issu as it s too small to ever factor in...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How much faster should one expect to go with a wheel-covered 1080 versus 1080 naked on an rolling Ironman course?

I have a friend who tested this on an indoor velo with an SRM and he thinks it basically useless to have a cover on a 1080. As in about 1 minute over 180km.

A 1080 so the ZIPP rep tells me is a disk. Said you are crazy to have one on the front if there is any wind if you are a lightweight.

The 1080 is the new disk for a ride that won't screw your run as it has some give compared to a disk that has no give.

You have to cover so use it but I wouldn't be covering up the wheel. Or should I say paying to cover it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with Jonnyo on this one. Windier it is, the faster the cover will make your setup. In a velodrome one should expect almost no measureable difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 Wheel Cover [TheRock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as another poster said... the test on the velodrome isnt very represtentative of why you would use a disc. It s on a windy day that a disc will give you a advantage over a 1080. For expemple...if the disc was allowed in hawaii, it would give you (or a cover over a 808 or 1080) a advantage of a few minutes...4-7minutes over a 808 or something like a 1080..... so strong cross wind is when the disc shine over the deep rim wheel.

I say for a typical day at imc...i would defintly put a cover over the 1080..... when the cross wind kick in...the disc start flying..

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply