Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zipp 1080 Experiences??
Quote | Reply
Anyone using a set of 1080's? I am wondering how they handle in windy conditions. I've read that Zipp is claiming they are similar in handling to a Hed 3, which is not bad, but I wanted to see if anyone has first hand experience. Obviously for lighter wind conditions, not 30mph gusts, in which case I'd use a 404 front.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 Experiences?? [applenutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran a 1080/disc at Memphis in May this year, which had 30 mph gusts. I got blown around a bit, but it wasn't bad. At no point during the race did I wish that I had put on a smaller front wheel. Racing with less wind than that, I didn't haven't had any drama at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 Experiences?? [gatorFL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got a 1080 front and back on my new p3c and find it a bit difficult to drive, guess I have to get used to the bike and wheels, but a friend suggest I should swap for a 404 as front wheel.
any view?

thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was talking to 2 pros at ironman az that rode the 1080 and for the high speed downhill and the strong cross wind, they wish they had rode something like a 808 instead. But if you are a bit bigger...you might just be find.

as for the 1080 been like a tri spoke... i highly douth.... the hed3 and 808 are about the same from my experience so the 1080 will definitly be harder to handle. that said, if you can handle it... it s gonna be fast!!!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wheel rolls. I don't think it is a superb wheel for a really technical course, as compared with even the 808. It takes a bit more to get it spinning, and I don't think it corners quite as well, but it ROLLS. On the flats, you haul. And I mean fly.

I think it handles much better than the H3. I really dislike having a H3 in the front. It's a fast wheel, but in gusty winds, it was a nightmare. The H3, in my experience, twitches a lot in gusts, because there is almost always more surface area in front or behind the fork. That's my theory anyway. It makes sense, but no one has ever tested it. But that's how it felt in gusty winds, like a push-pull.

The 1080, on the other hand, is just a lot more like a disc. Yes, there is a lot of wheel, but it's very even. I found it to be quite stable, and there was some crisp wind in Boise.

I've only got a handful of rides on it, but I think it's an awesome wheel. I'll take it out on both some windier days and some more technical courses and give some more feedback. If you can learn to handle the wheel, the more crosswind you get, the faster you will be with a deeper front. So it's worth practicing and evaluating, not just automatically going for a shallower wheel in 30mph gusts.

Were you to use it, I would DEFINITELY recommend going with a disc in the back. A deeper rear than front makes a bike easier to handle. 1080/disc 808/1080, etc. It's easier to handle your bike with a shallower wheel up front than in the back due to where it shifts the pressure center to. Basically, the deeper wheel in the back wants to push you into the wind. The deep wheel up front wants to push you away from the wind. Since it's always easier to steer out of the wind, you want to create more force into the wind, hence the deeper wheel in back. I posted the link to the HPV researcher who discusses this somewhere else. Just do a search for "pressure center" and you should find it.

I think the 808 is, as Fabian Cancellara has said, the new 404. It's a great, all-around wheel. The 1080 is a bit more meat, but it is awesome if you have longer stretches of road to open it up on.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 Experiences?? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take it you're on the clincher version??

A friend of mine is on a tubular set and mentioned that he felt the wheels were "sluggish" on a rolling course. He told me they "felt heavy" and took a bit to get them going. Just wanted to hear from others to see if that's the case. Since the slight majority of my races are on rolling hills, and the rest on flats I may decide on the 808's. I thought his feedback seemed a bit odd, but it kind of sounds like that may be the case.

I'm interested to hear more feedback once you get more time riding the wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 Experiences?? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great front wheel for IMAz, with rear disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on the clincher proto, yup. What tires was your friend riding? Tires tend to make things sluggish, I think, more than the wheels. I think it feels pretty similar to a HED3 in terms of how it gets up to speed. They aren't crit wheels. The front wheel is ~200g heavier than a 404. So you are going to feel that.

I'll update, as the heaviness could also very much be related to racing two half-ironmans a week apart. :) I also don't really jump on it coming out of corners in a half, since that can toast your legs. But it's a big wheel, there's no way around that. It's not going to be at it's best on a tight course. But it hauls. What I found especially nice is on steady climbs. On one of the long ascents at probably 3-4%, the wheel flies.

I'm going to do some TT loops with that and the 808 on alternating loops.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 Experiences?? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were the pros male or female?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 Experiences?? [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
males. Lewis elliot as actually talk about it on his website and race report. he said it was a bit too much for him.

Like jordan as said, i have no douth it s gonna be really fast! I would love to own on and make my choice on race day! Looking forward to try one.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Were the pros male or female?

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 Experiences?? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for answering. I asked because I figure body weight (often related to sex) is a determinent on the blow-about factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used the 1080 front (tub.) last weekend at the SCNCA state TT

Wind was not really a large factor, but the gusts that were present made the front wheel somewhat of an issue to handle, in hindsight I would have used my 808 front

I plan to use the 1080 on flat windless courses, that wheel is very fast once up to speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...body weight (often related to sex) is a determinent on the blow-about factor.

There's a snide remark in there somewhere...I just can't quite piece it together. ;)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 Experiences?? [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you read it carefully enough, it becomes quiet obvious that I was implying that you are a pedarist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to say the 1080 is the state of the art right now. I've had a 404, 808, Hed 3c, and xentis mark 1 up front (all tubs) and the 1080 is definately the best.

My son rode it at IMAZ this year which was very windy, especially during the 2nd lap. I rode it at Gulf coast this year and I noticed several things:

1. I had to really concentrate as i rode along the hotels by the Gulf--the constant on/off nature of the wind did make it hard to control.
2. Into the wind I was passed by a bunch of 30 year old drafters but when we turned the corner and headed back towards the beach with a crosswind the 1080 really paid off--I'm talking 1-2 relative mph here--I was able to catch the drafters and pass and get away from them (I had to put a big surge on but the wheels are awesome in a crosswind).
3. I was able to snag 2/81 in my AG at GCT on the bike
4. I have raced them at a couple of shorter distances and they fly. Not good wheels for a technical course but for a flatish, not-tech TT they are the best (by a noticeable margin)...

FYI, I have the Zedtech version up front and the Zed sub9 in the back....

rc

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 Experiences?? [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's some serious coin there bro. How about a picture? I bet the rest of the bike rox out pretty hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you were able to catch and pass a pack of drafters with a "1-2 relative mph" difference, more power to you. But, I'd credit your training, pacing, etc. before the wheels.

By Zipp's own data (http://www.zipp.com/...pAeroEdgeFlyer_2.pdf ) a 1080 front will only save 10 seconds over an 808 front over 40K. And, thats at 30mph. That equates to an 0.08 MPH increase. That's hardly 1-2 MPH, and barely enough to be noticed in the noise of variations in power output and environmental conditions like wind and grade.

To Learn, I'm beginning to see why people on ST don't like you much.... :(

Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Jun 3, 08 20:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I imagined the lift but I'm telling you it happened. I was watching my SRM closely (and I looked at the data post race) and I was noticeably faster--I was doing about 24mph with a 15mph cross-wind...not exactly 90 degrees but definitely a strong crosswind. dude--it happened...I've been in a wind tunnel before and I'm telling you out on the road I noticed this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah--it's a MFin mid life crises bike (plus I got a nice settlement from a nasty bike accident that separated my shoulder)....check my prior posts or search for a BMC TT01--she rocks my world every day!

rc

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't doubt that you're a cycling stud. If you're chasing down draft packs, you'd pass me like road kill. But, how much credit do your 1080's deserve?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other thing, I'm not saying I was 1-2mph faster than an 808 at GCT--I don't know how to even judge that...what I am saying is i was deinately 1-2 mph faster than the other dudes--I passed and dropped their asses--and I really think the 1080 is wicked fast in cross winds....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, their quite a humorless lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also you can click on my user name and then go to my website. from there you will find a link to 2008 photos and you can see my hot ride in full flight...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One other thing, I'm not saying I was 1-2mph faster than an 808 at GCT--I don't know how to even judge that...what I am saying is i was deinately 1-2 mph faster than the other dudes--I passed and dropped their asses--and I really think the 1080 is wicked fast in cross winds....
I'll buy that. With an apparent wind of 15 degrees or so, the 1080 should be in it's element. If the pack were on substantially shallower rims, go crush and destroy them. :)

It's just that several posters have raved about how great the 1080s are when Zipp's own numbers show them as only incrementally faster than 808's. I have to wonder if the added weight, moment of inertia, crosswind handling problems...and cost are worth it.

Quote Reply

Prev Next