Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 1080 + PowerTap = Possible Wheel Failure
Quote | Reply

I was getting ready to purchase this wheel set and heard from my LBS that it isn't recommended by Zipp. I decided to follow up with Zipp directly and they confirmed that the 1080 + PT combo is NOT recommended. According to Zipp, "the high spoke angle pulls the carbon apart at the spoke ID". The spoke angle is over three times normal when lacing a 1080 to a PT hub. This increases the likelihood of damage to the rim and possible failure.

The reason I'm posting this is because a number of online shops are promoting this wheel combo. A quick search on google shows the following shops offer the build:

TriSports.com
TriVillage
Cadence Cycle
treksandiego
prowheelbuilder

The only indication on the Zipp website is that the 1080 page does not include the "PowerTap Available" icon.

I apologize if this has already been covered (my search did not show it had) but thought it should be passed on.

-Dave

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 + PowerTap = Possible Wheel Failure [TriDaveO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that there was a Zipp catalog that had the 1080/PT option, but when I tried to place an order with Zipp, the rep told me that Zipp does not offer it for exactly the reason you stated.

808s for me...
Quote Reply