Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 101s vs Fulcrum Racing Zero 2-Way Fit (Tubeless) - So, how do they ride?
Quote | Reply
Both wheelsets are now old enough for owners to have put a few solid miles on them. What's your view after riding either of them for a while?

I'm looking to upgrade my completely trashed Mavic Kysrium ES's (destined as my turbo trainer wheels). The new set will mainly be for training, high volume road trips and light racing on my roadie. Zipp 303s will be the mainstay race wheel. I travel a lot and ride/race in all sorts of terrain with unknown weather conditions. Being robust (moreso than carbon rims) and able to double as a racing set makes these wheels an appealing purchase. Both are a similar price point.

101s
A couple of reviews have commented on the 101s being "more comfortable" than standard wheels (guessing vs Kysriums). Is it noticeable to you also? The supposed aero benefit would be an added bonus. I'm assuming nice hubs? From all reports they sound nice.

Zeroes
I'm mainly interested in your tubeless experience on these. Lower PSI would be a nice advantage. The other is the quoted "Safety benefit" of slow release punctures. Is this true? Any experience or can it be just as nasty as a regular tube blowout? The reason I ask is my riding area is relatively hilly and busy with traffic. Bombing descents with a 'safer' set of wheels would be confidence inspiring after a couple of near-misses over the years. Fred Flintstone impersonations with both feet planted and screeching whilst rolling on the rim loses the comedy factor after the first incident. Are you using any goo? Do you notice a difference in wheel performance if ever having used an inner tube with them?

What tires/width are you running on your set?

Any reliability issues (spokes/hubs etc)?

If you happen to own both, a direct comparison would be much appreciated and very insightful.

I'm just focussed on these two wheelsets and user's experience at the moment.

Thanks,

J
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 101s vs Fulcrum Racing Zero 2-Way Fit (Tubeless) - So, how do they ride? [grinning ape] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fulcrums basically ride like campy wheels I.e. They roll really smooth and are well made. I'm a fan and I ride campy on my road bike but the Zipps just look like the next level tho.
Last edited by: Quinner: Oct 1, 10 4:10
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 101s vs Fulcrum Racing Zero 2-Way Fit (Tubeless) - So, how do they ride? [grinning ape] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't comment on the Zipps, but I have had the Fulcrums for the last 18 months and have been very pleased. They didn't seem more "comfortable" than the Bontrager RaceXLites that I replaced, but certainly can't fault them on that.

I used tubeless tires to begin with to give it a try, but wouldn't do that for anything that you're interested in racing. Changing tires for a road race is a small pain, but tubeless tires are a long ways behind a good clincher or tube for CRR. I ran them at ~90psi compared to 100 front 110 rear for normal clincher tires. The tires I put on were Hutchinson Fusion 3 23's which never had any problems but were a whole world apart from Conti SuperSonics I use for anything competitive.

No flats to report on the tubeless, so I can't say whether its any more gentle or not, probably it depends on the situation like with everything.

Hub were just checked out for the first time and declared in as good of shape as the day they were made, which made me happy since I really don't baby my equipment at all.

I think you can't go wrong with either wheel set, but the aero benefits of these are marginal. My interest, and what I'm happy with was having something that climbs, races and tours well enough taking them out in any conditions
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 101s vs Fulcrum Racing Zero 2-Way Fit (Tubeless) - So, how do they ride? [dstieh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been riding Fulcrum Racing Zero's for over 2 years and luv them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Zipp 101s that I've put a few thousand miles on now. When I first got them, I wasn't terribly impressed. I've had a set of HED Ardennes and, just riding them on training rides I couldn't see what the big deal was with the Zipps in comparison to the HEDs. I initially mounted up the Zipps with a set of Specialized S-works Mondo Open tubular tires. I had an old pair of Zipp Tangente clinchers I wasn't using and decided to give them a go on the 101s. I know those Specialized tires have had some rave reviews, but the Zipp tires on the 101s were like a whole new (and greatly improved) riding experience. I've done a bit of racing on them now and, though I own Zipp 303s, Mavic Cosmic Carbones and other race wheel sets, I never saw any reason to remove the 101s on race day. The 101s were totally awesome! One of the races was on a very hilly course and I found the Zipps to feel stiffer than the Ardennes ... less spoke wind-up and a better feel of power transfer when trying to really jam up hills. Also, like the HEDS, they have a wider rim track so the tires hold a higher volume of air and you can run lower pressures. I run 95 to 100 psi in the Zipps (I'm 155 pounds) even with the 21mm Zipp tires and it's a fabulous ride.

Of course, I don't recommend the Zipp Tangentes as everyday training tires and, now that I have no more road races for the season, I'll be taking them off.

The 101s have really grown on me.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
101s
A couple of reviews have commented on the 101s being "more comfortable" than standard wheels (guessing vs Kysriums). Is it noticeable to you also? The supposed aero benefit would be an added bonus. I'm assuming nice hubs? From all reports they sound nice.

Zeroes
I'm mainly interested in your tubeless experience on these. Lower PSI would be a nice advantage. The other is the quoted "Safety benefit" of slow release punctures. Is this true? Any experience or can it be just as nasty as a regular tube blowout? The reason I ask is my riding area is relatively hilly and busy with traffic. Bombing descents with a 'safer' set of wheels would be confidence inspiring after a couple of near-misses over the years. Fred Flintstone impersonations with both feet planted and screeching whilst rolling on the rim loses the comedy factor after the first incident. Are you using any goo? Do you notice a difference in wheel performance if ever having used an inner tube with them?

What tires/width are you running on your set?

Any reliability issues (spokes/hubs etc)?

If you happen to own both, a direct comparison would be much appreciated and very insightful.

I'm just focussed on these two wheelsets and user's experience at the moment.

Thanks,

J

I currently ride the Eurus 2 Way fit - which is the Shamal without the Carbon/ceramic Hubs, which is the Campy version of Fulcrum's Racing Zero's (hopefully that's not confusing!). I've been a huge fan thus far of the 2-way fit system. The ride quality is very similar to that of a tubular, it allows for me to run lower PSI and benefit from the comfort aspect, but also when cornering I'm able to grip the road a bit better. I think it makes for a great training wheel and even a shallow race wheel. I set mine up with some Stans and have yet to flat. I've had a couple of punctures but the sealant did it's job without me even having to stop.

The Zipp 101 is another great alternative, it's a bit heavier and obviously doesn't offer the tubeless advantage. It's considerably more aero than the Zero because of its shape, so depending on how important aerodynamics are, this may or may not matter to you. We sell these wheels to a lot of triathletes who want 1 set of wheels for training and racing (that says Zipp!)... it's a good compromise and it doesn't break the bank.

Finally, you mentioned the "Safety" aspect of a tubeless, while typically leaks are the norm, running over a very sharp object will slice your tire just like it would a regular tire. The tubeless certified tires/wheels are designed so that the tire remains on the rim in the event that a blowout happens. You're going to be happy with either wheel, I love the tubeless technology and if for whatever reason it goes "out of style", I can always run my wheels as clinchers.

I hope this helps...
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 101s vs Fulcrum Racing Zero 2-Way Fit (Tubeless) - So, how do they ride? [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob, I've read your other posts comparing the 101s to the Ardennes where you preferred the Heds. Having a change of heart yet? You also discounted the aero advantage of them when considering all factors. Any difference of opinion there? I'm considering both wheelset and was leaning toward the Heds, partially because of your review. Just wondering where you stand now that you've got some more miles on them.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 101s vs Fulcrum Racing Zero 2-Way Fit (Tubeless) - So, how do they ride? [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, tire choice and PSI are just as, or maybe even more important, than wheel choice. The expense and hassle of making back-to-back comparisons makes that another whole world of conflicting choices. Personally, I'm a Conti fan, but that's for another thread.

Thanks for your comments.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 101s vs Fulcrum Racing Zero 2-Way Fit (Tubeless) - So, how do they ride? [Andres@Tribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andres,

It's great to hear some positive feedback about road tubeless.

It would appear the jury is still out on adoption by the roadie fraternity. I want to be a believer and give it a try at some point.

Tire selection seems pretty limited at this stage. Being a fan, what would you recommend?

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's more common amongst roadies than triathletes for sure. At least from our customer base, that's what we've seen.

The tire selections is very limited, as a matter of fact I believe Hutchinson makes all of them, including specialized's tubeless tires. I thought Maxxis was coming out with one but haven't seen it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran my Ksyriums with Hutchenson tubeless, but ended up switching back to Conti 4000s. I like the tubeless concept, and not having to worry about pinch flats; but the quality and durability of the tires was so far behind Conti or Mich that all the benefits were negated. The Hutchensons were poor at cornering and were a lot less durable than the other high end offering (despite being more expensive).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply