Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp/shimano brake pads for Zipp wheels?
Quote | Reply
I have the Zipp 909 and 404 tubulars, and currently have the dura ace brake pads. Zipp says to use their own brand. Is it a marketing ploy, has anyone had a bad experience with the non-zipp pads? should I just go with the Zipp pads?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp/shimano brake pads for Zipp wheels? [SByers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good results so far with the DA carbon pads, wear a little quick but brake well
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp/shimano brake pads for Zipp wheels? [SByers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used Mavic pads that came with their SSC brakes and scrubbed off the braking surface in less than 1000km (and I don't brake unless there is no other choice). A rather expensive lesson.

The Zipp site now says Kool Stop Black, Zipp, or the Shimano/Campy pads designed for carbon rims are the only ones. I have been using the Kool Stops and they work fine and are way cheaper than the Zipp version.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp/shimano brake pads for Zipp wheels? [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp OEMs the KoolStop pads, same thing.. just cheaper from KoolStop. I use the Zipp pads on my 404s, didn't like the feel of Shimano non-carbon fiber pads. Supposedly the problem with pads not designed for carbon fiber is heat transfer/radiation. Carbon fiber doesn't do a very good job of transferring heat from the braking surface, like aluminum. You need a special pad that won't melt at high braking temperatures.

mike
Quote Reply