Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zipp, Quarq, you have a fantastic opportunity.
Quote | Reply
This message is for everyone. Zipp, Quarq, Sram, sponsored athletes, consumers, potential consumers, yet-to-be-born consumers; everyone.

Zipp/Quarq,

The economy and good business has afforded you both with the chance to learn from each other directly because of your parent company SRAM. I imagine you have more access to each other (however slight it may be) because of your ties, which will make the learning process easier for you.

Quarq, I encourage you to look at Zipp's customer service model. You have proven to have an absolutely fantastic model yourself, but one can always improve by observing others. So seriously, investigate how Zipp does things, and completely disregard every practice they pursue. If you have anything that resembles them in the slightest, abandon it.

Zipp, you really have the most to gain from this. Read up on Quarq's approach to serving their customers and making money in the process. They're focused on the long game, as the short game has less money in it. Seeing that you've established yourself in the market, you have no need of short game. Wouldn't it make sense to try to woo every type of customer away from competition by not merely science, but faith in your own product?

Everyone Else,

I've had the chance to encounter both companies customer service departments now. Quarq has treated me like a king, and thus they have received repeated business from me. Zipp on the other hand, just denied a warranty claim for a defective wheel. We're not talking about crashing, hitting a deep pothole or something else somewhat mysterious. This is obvious and visible uniform cracking all the way around the rim from a light rider using the wheels. Their response? Bummer.

Wow. How short sighted; it's sad really.

Now, do they make good products? Of course! Are most people happy with their products? Probably! But I sure am glad I happened to clean them before trying to push 1400w in a sprint and having the spokes pull out of the rim. I don't think I'd be quite as level headed in the hospital.

Check your rims Zipp owners, just to be safe, and don't expect much from their customer service department if you have a problem.

Ride safe.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp, Quarq, you have a fantastic opportunity. [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"trying to push 1400w in a sprint"

'Trying' being the key word here...

Powered by Dalzell Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a case of Brian Grasky syndrome, aka seebritritis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy HED owner here.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Jun 18, 13 15:46
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp, Quarq, you have a fantastic opportunity. [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Happy HED owner here.

Even happier Enve owner here...
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp, Quarq, you have a fantastic opportunity. [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Happy HED owner here.

Are you sure?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The funny part of this thread is that both Quarq and Zipp are owned by SRAM!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp, Quarq, you have a fantastic opportunity. [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah - that's what he said in the opening post....read much?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp, Quarq, you have a fantastic opportunity. [Mikemartin77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mikemartin77 wrote:
Yeah - that's what he said in the opening post....read much?

Yet ... he's complaining about one product and praising the other, even though both products go through basically the same warranty process/people.

Comprehend much?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp, Quarq, you have a fantastic opportunity. [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, they don't go through the same process. That's the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
PeteDin206 wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Happy HED owner here.

Are you sure?

For the price I paid for them... Yep...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well besides this is a completely one sided story. I had great customer service from zipp. I sent a disc back for them to true it a bit, it not only came back in better shape but they also put a brand new hub on it due to some of the cassette marks in it. I've nothig but good service with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp, Quarq, you have a fantastic opportunity. [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is entirely one sided. You're right. Sadly, it was such a quick denial I don't think they have a side.

Nipple pulling through? Nope, sorry.

Hey I like their product. An unlike the guy above who thinks I'm some random dude from another thread, I'm not here to say don't buy zipp. Just know you MAY not get the same customer service as you do consistently from SRAM, Quarq and Rockshox.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is timely for me as I just had a warranty claim denied by Zipp.

Zipp Vuka Sprint bars developed crack at the clamp area 9 months after purchase. I know what you are thinking: "You tightened your stem clamp too tight, stupid."

Except I didn't. I liberally greased the clamp blots and used a torque wrench to tighten the stem clamp. In fact, these bars were only used with a Zipp stem - an SC-SL Beyond Black, to be exact. I had this exact same bar/stem combo on both of my road bikes, and one cracked and one did not.

I am not going to be reactionary and say that I am going to sell all of my Zipp products tomorrow, as that would require a lot of selling, since I currently own the following Zipp products:

• Zipp Super 9 tubular disc
  • Zipp Super 9 clincher disc
  • Zipp 808 FC tubular front wheel
  • Zipp 808 FC clincher front wheel
  • Zipp 303 FC tubular wheelset
  • Zipp Vuka Aero integrated aero bar
  • Zipp VukaShift extensions
  • Zipp R2C shifters
  • Zipp Contour SL bars
  • Zipp SC-SL stems (at least 5 that I can count)
  • Zipp skewers (2-3 sets off the top of my head)
  • Zipp Vuka Sprint road bars (the non-cracked ones)

My point is simply that I have been a fairly decent Zipp customer over the years (this list is only current stuff, if we went back in time this post would get even more obnoxious than it already is), but there ARE alternatives out there (e.g. I run Enve SES wheels on my road bikes and Zipp is not the only game in town when it comes to aerobars and the like) and when it comes time to make my next purchase, this poor experience with Zipp WILL inform that buying decision.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp, Quarq, you have a fantastic opportunity. [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:

Zipp Vuka Sprint bars developed crack at the clamp area 9 months after purchase. I know what you are thinking: "You tightened your stem clamp too tight, stupid."

Except I didn't. I liberally greased the clamp blots and used a torque wrench to tighten the stem clamp. In fact, these bars were only used with a Zipp stem - an SC-SL Beyond Black, to be exact. I had this exact same bar/stem combo on both of my road bikes, and one cracked and one did not.

I am not going to be reactionary and say that I am going to sell all of my Zipp products tomorrow, as that would require a lot of selling, since I currently own the following Zipp products:

• Zipp R2C shifters
  • Zipp Contour SL bars

My point is simply that I have been a fairly decent Zipp customer over the years (this list is only current stuff, if we went back in time this post would get even more obnoxious than it already is), but there ARE alternatives out there (e.g. I run Enve SES wheels on my road bikes and Zipp is not the only game in town when it comes to aerobars and the like) and when it comes time to make my next purchase, this poor experience with Zipp WILL inform that buying decision.

Well damn. What are you doing with all those stems?

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp, Quarq, you have a fantastic opportunity. [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackCapets wrote:
Well damn. What are you doing with all those stems?

Two road bikes that I had set up exactly identical (the fact that R5 and S5 geometry are identical made this easy), started with the -6 stem and moved to the -17 stem. So that's 4. Then another for the TT bike. That's 5. There may be one or two more but went with 5 to be safe.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you have 2 -6 stems sitting around? What length?

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:

• Zipp R2C shifters
  • Zipp Contour SL bars

This could possibly be the best backdoor brag EVER!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha I was worried my post would be taken that way but there are plenty of TT and road bikes on here that are worth way more than my assortment of Zipp goodies. My point was simply to echo the OP in that Zipp's customer service may save it a few bucks in the short term but will likely cost them a lot more on sales in the long term.

Last edited by: refthimos: Jun 19, 13 13:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a one sided story that many have already pointed out.

I would be interested in hearing more back story from you on your warranty claim being denied.

Where did you buy the wheel? How old is it or how long have you had it? What kind of wheel was it exactly?

Got any pictures you can post? People tend to follow these stories, the last big one that I saw on here was about a guy's Ridley Cross bike. He didn't get the whole (truth)/story out there, Ridley customer service got on here and he ended up looking like an a$$. They posted pictures of the bike and a lot of back ground info.

Got any pictures you want to post?

You're slamming Zipp, but not providing much in the way of details. You may be right, but prove it
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp, Quarq, you have a fantastic opportunity. [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How, exactly, did they true a solid disc wheel?

Grant.Reuter wrote:
Well besides this is a completely one sided story. I had great customer service from zipp. I sent a disc back for them to true it a bit, it not only came back in better shape but they also put a brand new hub on it due to some of the cassette marks in it. I've nothig but good service with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp, Quarq, you have a fantastic opportunity. [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my guess is it had to do with the epoxy at the hub. heat it up carefully and adjust, assuming the trueness was off as a result of getting tweaked by the hub regardless of where the force was applied
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While we're beating up on Zipp, I'll point out that the Zipp bottle cage is awful. I got great service from Zipp. After complaining about my bottles getting ejected left and right, they promptly replaced it. But the replacement was just as bad. I won't even sell it, because I don't want anyone on the road with those things.

Someone here suggested the Arundel cages which are 100% pure awesome.

x2 on Quarq. My Quarq Red went nutty on me. The warranty process was slick and fast, with constant, timely updates from Quarq via email.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 19, 13 13:27
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp, Quarq, you have a fantastic opportunity. [jsiege11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next