Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Z Pro Tri Race Series at 11am PST today (late scratch: J Brownlee; late add: L Sanders)
Quote | Reply

And for each of the next 3 weeks, starting today. Start Lists for today:

Antony Costes
Mike Phillips
Jackson Laundry
Aaron Royle
James Cunnama
Ronnie Schildknecht
Ben Kanute
Alistair Brownlee
Joe Skipper
Henri Schoeman
Matt Hanson
Tim Don
Lionel Sanders
Terenzo Bozzone
David McNamee
Tim Reed
Tim Van Berkel
Pieter Heemeryck
Marten Van Riel
Sebastian Kienle

Melanie Maurer
Jocelyn McCauley
Ruth Astle
Emma Pallant
Angela Naeth
Laura Siddall
Annabel Luxford
Jackie Hering
Paula Findlay
Amelia Rose Watkinson
Meredith Kessler
Kelsey Withrow
Lauren Brandon
Sarah Crowley
Laura Philipp
Lisa Norden
Imogen Simmonds
Beth Potter
Holly Lawrence

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Z Pro Tri Race Series at 11am PST today (late scratch: J Brownlee; late add: L Sanders) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some outstanding racing this week! And I think Sarah and Matt will get more at ease with commentary as it goes along.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Z Pro Tri Race Series at 11am PST today (late scratch: J Brownlee; late add: L Sanders) [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like there were plenty of suggestions coming in from the chat but we need way more info on screen. And I don't know how many athletes have streams set up for zwift to use on stream but we might as well have someone's stream up at all times. As it was, the screen was kind of just uninteresting to look at for the bulk of it which took away from what seemed like good racing.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Z Pro Tri Race Series at 11am PST today (late scratch: J Brownlee; late add: L Sanders) [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes totally agree. the new look is "cleaner" but lacks the data that could actually be used to set virtual racing apart from real racing from a spectating standpoint. anyone who does these races knows that the w/kg for each rider listed on the right side of the screen is vital. it lets you know when people are surging or resting etc. orange numbers means that something important is happening. also agree there should be a live stream as often as possible in the left bottom of the screen.
Quote Reply
Re: Z Pro Tri Race Series at 11am PST today (late scratch: J Brownlee; late add: L Sanders) [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or maybe a ribbon of live streams that lets the viewer toggle or view whatever stream they choose. Plus, agree more data on the main stream - real time HR and w/kg at least on the leaderboard.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Z Pro Tri Race Series at 11am PST today (late scratch: J Brownlee; late add: L Sanders) [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Video of Lionel hard charging to 1st at end

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHeDJwQhTpe/

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Z Pro Tri Race Series at 11am PST today (late scratch: J Brownlee; late add: L Sanders) [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Looks like there were plenty of suggestions coming in from the chat but we need way more info on screen. And I don't know how many athletes have streams set up for zwift to use on stream but we might as well have someone's stream up at all times. As it was, the screen was kind of just uninteresting to look at for the bulk of it which took away from what seemed like good racing.

This!
Knowing that 10 people are within 1 second of each other is useless info, we need the watt/kg on screen just like in normal zwift racing and then with the orange colour above x/kg.

But the actual racing was good!
Quote Reply
Re: Z Pro Tri Race Series at 11am PST today (late scratch: J Brownlee; late add: L Sanders) [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bar the riders in team kit (Lionel and Emma Pallant) it was very hard to identify other riders.

Having a small image of the jersey of each rider alongside the names in the list would help.
Quote Reply
Re: Z Pro Tri Race Series at 11am PST today (late scratch: J Brownlee; late add: L Sanders) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Btw do you guys think we will ever see frodeno show up? I guess he lives in an cycling paradise but still?
Or is it because he would do horribly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:

It is always a balance to try to keep the viewing experience clean and uncluttered whilst also providing the necessary data. We experimented this time around with time gaps instead of w/kg and I tend to agree that in the first two races the time gaps were largely irrelevant as there were very few breaks from the group. I did think the time gaps worked much better in the final Hill Climb TT where the gaps were much more relevant (and significant).

I've spoken to the broadcast team and hopefully we will have w/kg back in for next week's racing.

Richard Melik | I work for the following companies | Zwift.com | Freespeed Bike Fit (UK)
Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply
Re: Z Pro Tri Race Series at 11am PST today (late scratch: J Brownlee; late add: L Sanders) [chrisb7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb7 wrote:
Bar the riders in team kit (Lionel and Emma Pallant) it was very hard to identify other riders.

Having a small image of the jersey of each rider alongside the names in the list would help.

This is something we are very aware of and trying to solve. It is much easier in cycling where the riders tend to be team based but having 40 different jersey colours and designs is always going to be confusing even with a jersey identifier next to the names. We did actually introduce race numbers yesterday which were visible to the riders in the races but did not display on the broadcast for technical reasons. Keep an eye out for those next week. We'll publish the rider list with numbers in advance.

Richard Melik | I work for the following companies | Zwift.com | Freespeed Bike Fit (UK)
Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply
Re: Z Pro Tri Race Series at 11am PST today (late scratch: J Brownlee; late add: L Sanders) [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Btw do you guys think we will ever see frodeno show up?

Jan is cycling level 50 on Zwift and has ridden over 24,000km in less than three years on Zwift. To our knowledge he has never raced on Zwift, he is always invited so maybe one day!

Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep an eye out for a video coming soon from Sebastian Kienle about the race, it was his first Z PRO race yesterday and he posted THIS on Instagram this morning.

Some good banter in the pen before the race!

Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply
Re: Z Pro Tri Race Series at 11am PST today (late scratch: J Brownlee; late add: L Sanders) [RichardMelik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardMelik wrote:
chrisb7 wrote:

This is something we are very aware of and trying to solve. It is much easier in cycling where the riders tend to be team based but having 40 different jersey colours and designs is always going to be confusing even with a jersey identifier next to the names. We did actually introduce race numbers yesterday which were visible to the riders in the races but did not display on the broadcast for technical reasons. Keep an eye out for those next week. We'll publish the rider list with numbers in advance.

Another option if watching live would be to have the ‘Just watch’ option on the pairing screen in game present you with a list of riders / friends currently riding and allow you to ‘watch’ them. This would allow you to see the race as the rider is seeing it and switch between riding / views ourselves.

I’d imagine it’d also be used by teams in the community to view races (thinking TTT).
Quote Reply
Re: Z Pro Tri Race Series at 11am PST today (late scratch: J Brownlee; late add: L Sanders) [chrisb7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like this zpro series bringing some athletes out of retirement too... tim reed
Quote Reply
Re: Z Pro Tri Race Series at 11am PST today (late scratch: J Brownlee; late add: L Sanders) [RichardMelik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL great start line banter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Btw do you guys think we will ever see frodeno show up? I guess he lives in an cycling paradise but still?
Or is it because he would do horribly?

I recall reading an article from his coach where he states that his not a big fan of virtual/e-racing for his athletes. Maybe this is the reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is always a balance to try to keep the viewing experience clean and uncluttered whilst also providing the necessary data. We experimented this time around with time gaps instead of w/kg and I tend to agree that in the first two races the time gaps were largely irrelevant as there were very few breaks from the group. I did think the time gaps worked much better in the final Hill Climb TT where the gaps were much more relevant (and significant).

I've spoken to the broadcast team and hopefully we will have w/kg back in for next week's racing.

Richard,

Thank you to you and the Team at Zwift for pulling this together again.

Great work by both Matt Leito and Sarah True - as a fellow Commentator/Announcer, I know first hand this is much harder than it looks. Not being together physically is a challenge, and then layered on top of that, the differences between Virtual Racing and Real World Racing - you can't call it the same! There are some subtle differences I discovered.

This is still really a new way of both racing and bringing the racing to fans and the people - the Sport Presentation and Broadcast/Streaming part of it all. A work in progress I'm guessing and ever evolving. I agree with others that if it's easy to get at key data like Power Output, it would be good to be able to see that. For the few Zwift races that I did some Commentary for early this year, it did give me something to talk about, and compare rider to rider.

Continued best wishes with this.

I'm looking forward to watching the UCI eSports World Championships on Zwift in December - That will be a HUGE step forward for eRacing/eSports and for Zwift!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the three races in the “Community” version of this series yesterday. Had a good time. But does anyone know why 2 out of the 3 had different courses from the Pro version that happened the day before? The event info said “This is your chance to race on the exact same courses as the pros in the Z Pro Tri Race Series. Go hard. Have fun. See how your times compare to the pros’ efforts in the live broadcast.”
Quote Reply
Re: Z Pro Tri Race Series at 11am PST today (late scratch: J Brownlee; late add: L Sanders) [rik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rik wrote:
But does anyone know why 2 out of the 3 had different courses from the Pro version that happened the day before?

The community races are before the Pro Races, so your times from yesterday were on the courses that the pros will race next Wednesday.

The community races for the broadcast that aired this week were staged the previous Friday.

Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardMelik wrote:
rik wrote:
But does anyone know why 2 out of the 3 had different courses from the Pro version that happened the day before?

The community races are before the Pro Races, so your times from yesterday were on the courses that the pros will race next Wednesday.

The community races for the broadcast that aired this week were staged the previous Friday.

Ahhhh! Thanks for the quick response! I had looked up the schedule but didn’t expect the week to start on Friday.
Quote Reply