Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ZIPP Wheels for IMWI
Quote | Reply
Fairly new to this IM stuff and am doing IMWI this Sept. I can ride at a decent clip, but my handling is still a work in progress. I am working at it and am not terrible but still not great. With that said, I have never used Carbon Wheels and rented 808's for the door county Half in a couple weeks. I have a friend that said I could borrow his 1080's for IMWI and I don't really want to rent again but don't know if the 1080's are too deep for me. Please school me on what I should do.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP Wheels for IMWI [bigpaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the advice you'll get on this is, the Zipps will be fine for IM WI.

The condition is, that you should have some experience riding them in crosswinds.

Given you won't really have that experience, I'm not sure what to tell you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on your size with a front wheel, and what you can handle. I'm a bigger guy at 6'2" and about 170 and I don't have a problem running a 1080 up front, but I know that some people who are smaller say they sometimes have trouble in higher crosswinds.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP Wheels for IMWI [JustinD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess my best bet will be to ride the 808's at Door County and see how they feel. I hear there can be some nice crosswinds off the lake....I guess what I was trying to get at is, are the 1080's a lot harder to handle compared to the 808's?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never rode an 808 but I've ridden a 404, and don't think its really that bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How big are you? I ride an 808 front and 1080 rear. I would not hesitate to ride a 1080 on the front, but, I am bigger and rarely get pushed around in the wind.

You can get some really sucky wind at IMWI, but, (usually) not enough to throw you around unless you are a lightweight.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigpaps wrote:
I guess my best bet will be to ride the 808's at Door County and see how they feel. I hear there can be some nice crosswinds off the lake....I guess what I was trying to get at is, are the 1080's a lot harder to handle compared to the 808's?

Rear, no. Front, maybe. You will notice it in heavy cross winds. But, you are likely to get worse winds off the lake at Door County than at IMWI. How big are you?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP Wheels for IMWI [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the problem is I already rented the 808's for DC, so I guess I am stuck there, maybe I can call them and see if I can change to 404's if they have them. I am 5'9" 155ish. For IMWI should I use my buddys 1080 for front and try and rent like a 404 for the front? I don't really want to spend the money but renting one is cheaper than two and if it is going to affect me that much maybe I should just bite the bullet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about the 808s for Door County. Seriously. You are lighter, but, not a featherweight. It would take quite a cross-wind to cause you any issues.

Regarding IMWI, boy, I really don't think you will have much of an issue. I will defer to others, but, ride the 808s at Door County and see how it goes. I really think you will be more affected by the wind at Door County than at IMWI b/c of how Door County has exposure to the lake. I really do not think you will have issues at Door County. If that proves true, the 1080 should be fine at IMWI. I am a hair under 6' 2" at 185 lbs (hopefully down to 180 by IM time) and I would not hesitate for a second to ride a 1080 front if I had one (like I said, I ride 808 front, 1080 rear). I have a disc, but, I actually prefer the ride quality of the 1080 rear.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the rented 808s are FCs, then would run with that.

Like the other posters said, make sure to try them out before race day, to check handling in crosswinds.

The 808 FC fronts handle the crosswinds better than previous versions, due to the center of effort being moved behind the fork.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best advice is drop the 808s and ride backwards at door county. See you there! Really, try riding the 1080 with some crosswinds. That should give you a decent idea if you can handle it. Good luck at Door County. Should be fun

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, you cant ride, dont trust your wheels....and paid to enter an Ironman?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP Wheels for IMWI [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I believe I wrote, "I can ride at a decent clip, but my handling is still a work in progress. I am working at it and am not terrible but still not great." I would love for you to explain to me how that translates to me not being able to ride. As I have said, my handling is a work in progress but is not that bad but I am working on my handling as well as my cornering.

I would appreciate some constructive criticism, however. After reading the constructive posts on this thread, I am planning on riding the 808's for door county so I can get some practice and maybe gain some trust in the wheels and then see what I want to do for IMWI. If you have anything that you would like to add, I would welcome your advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Folks like you make the course dangerous. If you have a doubt in your ability - you should not have entered to begin with.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With how green bay is with the winds, give the 808s a try and see how you feel with those and if you think you were comfortable with that, try out the 1080. Better to practice before having to worry about it at IMWI

I tried my disc out at a race last month for the 2nd time with some minor crosswinds and it wasn't a big deal .

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a pretty big assumption. I have rode the course on several occasions averaged around 19 when riding two loops and have had no problems with the decents or turns. At the same to I am trying to improve myself riding in crosswinds and on turns. How do you get that from my post? I have never been on zipps and just wanted some advice. I have 100 percent faith in my ability, the only doubt I have is in my ability to ride ZIPPS and feel I am taking good precaution trying them in a race before IMWI, these seems a lot more responsible than just riding them at IMWI for the first time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a god damn wheel....Christ, you think that it is going to change anything? It is a WHEEL.......

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not know that and that is why I asked. Thank you for the information, It is tough to learn if you don't ask. Your posts have been very useful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice, guys. Rode the 808's at DC and had no problems. Will pry just ride my friend's 1080's at IMWI, I don't think I will have issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have rode the course on several occasions averaged around 19 when riding two loops and have had no problems with the decents or turns. At the same to I am trying to improve myself riding in crosswinds and on turns.

I don't think the winds will be much of a problem. They usually pick up on the second loop, but it's not typically a gusty wind that will blow you around a lot. It's typically a steady wind that just slows you down.

The potential problem I see is that faster wheels mean you go faster on descents and into turns. Wisconsin has a few fast turns and if you're not used to the increased speed you could run into problems there. It would be wise to see if your friend will let you borrow the wheels for a training day or two so you can get used to how they handle and find out if you're comfortable on them. It's in his best interest, actually. If you crash on race day with his wheels you could destroy them.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by decadave [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would search.

The general consensus is:
1) The faster you are, the more you benefit from deep wheels. If you average 17 mph, you will benefit more from 404's than 1080s.
2) A disk wheel is always faster and stabilizes the bike, improving handling until the winds are ridiculous.

If you are slow, you should do a 404, disc combo. If you are fast, you should do a 808. disc combo.

JustinD wrote:
It depends on your size with a front wheel, and what you can handle. I'm a bigger guy at 6'2" and about 170 and I don't have a problem running a 1080 up front, but I know that some people who are smaller say they sometimes have trouble in higher crosswinds.

Only in a triathlon forum could one read that statement.

For the record, I'm the same build and never considered myself a 'big guy'......until Macca taught me I was in his book. Lol
Quote Reply