Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ZIPP 404/Profile BSC incompatibility? help from gurus
Quote | Reply
So I've had this problem for a couple seasons and always thought I had it "fixed" and am realizing that I don't....

I have Zipp 404's (650 tubular) from 2003 (newer design, carbon dustcaps, no dimples) and they are on my Cervelo P2 (not P3, not P2k), which has a stock Profile BSC fork. When I clamp the wheel into the dropout (tightly - with Zipp Skewers although I imagine any skewer would be the same) there is a very audible "rub" noise coming from the hub that I believe is being caused by the dustcap being compressed by the fork (when clamped) against the hub.

I can sort of "fix" it by lifting the front of the bike when I clamp the wheel in place essentially dropping the wheel just a teeny bit lower in the dropout (maybe 1mm). but as soon as I hit a good enough bump, it whacks the wheel higher up into the dropout so it starts rubbing again. When held off the ground and hand spun, the "rub" definitely impedes the free spinning of the wheel.

So what to do? is this a known incompatibility? I guess the costly fix is buy a new fork. What else can I do? Can I just rip those carbon (or faux carbon - I don't know) dustcaps off of there? Will that negatively effect wheel maintenance? Anything else I need to know? Tom D? - Because you know all; JoshatZipp? - for obvous reasons; Anyone else? - you all know more than I.

Thanks a ton,

Don
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP 404/Profile BSC incompatibility? help from gurus [don] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's probably a very simply fix. There is an O-ring behind the carbon dust cap that keeps the dust cap in the correct posiion. That O-ring can get pushed off it's groove and needs to be re-set. From the Zipp FAQ:

My dust caps rattle on my Zipp hubs how can I fix this?

The carbon dust caps are held in place on the axle cap by a couple of rubber grommets. The reason they are making a racket is that this grommet has come unseated and is allowing the cap to move freely. To fix find a couple of 5 mm allen keys and insert one into each axle cap on the hub (where the quick release runs through). Work these wrenches against each other (standard right hand thread) to loosen one end cap. Remove the axle and reseat the grommet against the back of the dust cap. You may even want to put down a bead of super glue or quick set epoxy behind the grommet to ensure that it does not move again. Allow glue to dry fully, reinstall axle, torque end caps to 55 in lb (88 in lb rear) and go ride.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP 404/Profile BSC incompatibility? help from gurus [Terry in MN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, no rattling what-so-ever, nice tight fit. The problem only exists when the wheel is firmly clamped in the fork dropout. It's as if the fork angles too obtusely from the crown to the dropouts so that when clamped a portion of the fork (NOT the dropout) is contacting the dustcap and compressing it into the hub causing the "rub". Absolutely no "rub" when not clamped
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP 404/Profile BSC incompatibility? help from gurus [don] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar problem with a set of Hed Alps and Reynolds Ouzo fork. I took off the dust caps, then sanded down the dust caps 1-2 mm and replaced them. Problem went away.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP 404/Profile BSC incompatibility? help from gurus [jmhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks!...perhaps I shall give that a try.
Quote Reply