Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ZIPP's PSI recommendations - HIM
Quote | Reply
Competing in HIM Muncie and based on previous years race condition’s bike leg would be in the mid 80’s.
Any advice on PSI numbers on rear ZIPP Fire crest 808(25 & tubular) and 404(23 & tubular) on front. Using Conti GP 4000’s tires on both as well. Didn't have enough to get outdoors to experiment unfortunately so looking for some input.
Race day weight 160lbs riding P3.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP's PSI recommendations - HIM [johnny_5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did you choose those Continental tires?
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP's PSI recommendations - HIM [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No particular reason, at the time they were buy one get one free. Would you not suggest ?
Edit: Grand Prix 4000s II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have selected a tire with a latex tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What would your ideal setup be...tires and tube combo for this wheel set?
Have you tested different PSI with these?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnny_5 wrote:
What would your ideal setup be...tires and tube combo for this wheel set?
Have you tested different PSI with these?

Ideally OG Supersonic 23 with silca latex tubes. Current options I'd go Victoria Corsa speed 23 front + back if you want the fastest. Or, if worried about rear flats go Corsa Speed 23 front and Conti Force or TT 23 in rear.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP's PSI recommendations - HIM [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP needs tubular tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would probably use the Vittoria Corsa Speed tubular tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the tire recommendations...any PSI suggestions based on race conditions and race weight?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
90 & pray that it is not a hot day if you haven’t been training in the heat yet. Muncie, especially the run, can be an oven.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I would probably use the Vittoria Corsa Speed tubular tires.

Quote for win.

If a bike/wheel can aerodynamically handle 23+mm tires, that's the default right answer for tubulars.

No questions about it unless it's a prologue or short TT where you're willing to run a track tubular.

A GP4000 is a good training tubular perhaps.

To answer the question though.......I'm his weight and I'd probably run 120 pounds in the 25mm and 110 in the 23mm. Definitely still 100+ given it is a tubular.

The ride difference at similar size/pressure vs a clincher is astonishing.

I've had family conflicts keeping me from racing on them, but I've got a disc glued up with a Corsa Speed and a trispoke with the Pista Speed (19mm). I cannot wait to find some good pavement and attempt a new 10mi PR on that setup. Easily 20+ watts faster than the Sprinter training tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend the Vittoria Triathlon Speed G+ Tubular at 95 to 100 psi: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/...-g-plus-tubular-tire

It has better puncture protection than the Corsa Speed, which has none.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP's PSI recommendations - HIM [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
90 & pray that it is not a hot day if you haven’t been training in the heat yet. Muncie, especially the run, can be an oven.

Hears hoping and praying!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the recommendations but I'm up against the clock to get any bike time on something new...maybe a later race. Still learning - but interesting to hear about tubular vs Clincher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run Zipp disc in the back and 808 tubular in the front. Those Continental tires are not bad at all. They are pretty durable. I'm so scared of getting a flat, so I use Gatorskin. Heavy and rolling resistance is bad, but they are pretty durable. I also added sealant in there too. Anyway, I usually put 100-110 psi and it's been working well. I put 90 once and I was slower. I need to get new tires soon and I'm debating Vittoria Speed G+ or Continental Competition. I rather have durable tires than faster but weak tires. If you check reviews on Vittoria tubular tires, people are unhappy because they get a flat too often.
Last edited by: s13tx: Jun 28, 19 13:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clincher?
Quote Reply