Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Your training plan for the next few weeks?
Quote | Reply
Curious to know what people's plans are for the next few weeks, given there aren't any races on the horizon (all of my goals have shifted to fall races), and a lot of people have more time than usual due to working from home.

Personally, I had originally planned to be adding in some quality workouts to my usual 50-60mpw on the run in anticipation of a May half marathon, but that's been cancelled. I soldiered on briefly and tried to boost volume instead, then decided to cut the intensity and take care of some nagging injury issues. Just riding the trainer for 90min/day (2h if I don't run or I have extra time) with some quick pops and light tempo, and running for an hour 6 days/week with some strides and maybe the odd progression if I feel like it. I'm not a triathlete anymore, goals are a fall marathon in the mid-high 2:40s, or a November 50 miler (haven't decided yet), so I'm not worried about any swimming fitness.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Your training plan for the next few weeks? [rucker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5-6 days of running and 2 days of cycling. Holding out hope that Augusta 70.3 is able to go off at the end of September.

I’m still working full time so my work/training schedule remains the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same total time. More run/bike, No swim.

Shifting my morning run to mid-day given my treadmill is below my son's room and he's home from college. (its noisy)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been interesting to see this on a bigger picture with my athletes.
About half are now full time triathletes or have vastly more time to train.
About a quarter of them have no change in their schedule and the rest minus 1 have less time due to their specific jobs.

I'm really proud of them as only one has mentally folded. The majority are focused on doing the little things that get neglected or pushed to the back burner.
But then almost all of my athletes are process oriented and not result focused even if they like getting good results.

On a bigger picture it'll be interesting to see how triathletes on the whole handle this extended pre race season season

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Your training plan for the next few weeks? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Same total time. More run/bike, No swim.

Shifting my morning run to mid-day given my treadmill is below my son's room and he's home from college. (its noisy)

I agree, why would anything change? No swimming (which is usually 4 days a week) so more running and Zwifting. Don't race much, not paying for a $5 t-shirt and 50 cent medal. Goal is to keep skinny and healthy. Age 52 so Father Time keeps getting faster, he never slows down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm of the opinion that everyone should look at this as a huge opportunity. If there's one thing that keeps amateur triathletes from getting faster, it's triathlon. We don't have enough time to train all 3 sports and get much better at any of them. With no races on the horizon, you can let your fitness in 2 of the 3 sports drop while you focus on significantly improving the other one.

So, my plan is to assume no races for 2020 and not plan to peak until spring 2021. So, you have x amount of hours you can train each week. Swimming was just removed from that number. Now pick running or cycling to focus on (preferably your weakness), and spend an unbalanced amount of time on it and really achieve lasting gains.

In my case, I've focused on my weakness (the run) for several years now and not really focused on the bike because it comes relatively easy for me. Well this seems like a great opportunity to drop the run volume down some and really hammer the bike. My particular plan is to run 20-30 mpw (down from ~45mpw), and do TrainerRoad sweet spot base high volume plans, then their sustained power build. Since I've been doing mainly polarized training for a few years now this change in stimulus should also prove beneficial I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No swimmming obviously, bike 6 times a week (one hour each ride) to get the heck outside for breaks during work at home. Starting back running this week from quad strain. For first couple weeks 3-4 runs of 20-30 minutes per run. Lots of stretching and body weight strength work. That is it. Walk the dog twice per day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably 3-4hrs a day on the bike. All below LT1. Probably looking at 4 weeks of that, so should build up a fair bit of aerobic base.

Probably add a wee bit of walking just to stretch the legs.

All assuming that we are not on lockdown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride mostly indoors and the occasional 1 to 3 mile run off the bike, with occasional 5k loop to keep the running muscles in some sort of shape. No swimming of course, even though chlorinated water will kill any germs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is true that one thing that many people had as a limiter, time, is suddenly less of a challenge.

My training will be what I usually do for extended base training, which FTR, does not include swimming.

Try to run most days for 30 min and do one with strides and one with shorter fast repeats. Goal of 3+ hrs/week.

Try to bike most days for 30 min during week or 90-120 min on the weekend and one weekend ride at 'endurance pace' with one shorter zwift race midweek. Goal of 5+ hrs/week.

I do think Sean hit upon the upside of polarized training in a weak discipline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have set myself a 5k per day swim challenge for April and will be bumping up bike training and doing a daily HIIT circuit sessions on the playing fields next to my place.Should be pretty fit by the end of it all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fortunate that I have been able to take my wife and kids to my family's property in the western UP of Michigan. We've been here a week, we will stay as long as we have to. Loop around lake is 38 miles. Hardly any traffic on it... ever (not just now).

So getting in 50 mpw run.. and still doing full bike program. All on trainer at the moment, but spring is coming quickly, so should be able to be on road sooner than later. No swimming of course, but have some bands and doing what I can do. Being an adult onset swimmer...mostly muscle my way to an IM swim anyway... so hoping that will help.

Race or no race (I'm doing Chattanooga, so holding out hope)... going to keep at it. After several years away from training, I'm back in the groove and not going to let it go. Also, it's stress relief as much as anything else.

Wish everyone well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in denial of imminent IM MT 70.3 cancellation in June and still continue structured training. But Matt Dixon ideas are flexible and it can work as a big base.
Hopefully IM AZ in November will still happen
Quote Reply
Re: Your training plan for the next few weeks? [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
All assuming that we are not on lockdown.

The note from the Gov’s announcement says folks ARE allowed outside for ‘exercise’ but I may not stray too far out from my development, just to be safe (the Police around here are kind of ‘aggressive’ in a “Watcha doin’ out here, son?” kinda way)

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My season start was delayed anyway due to a new job. This will work great from me since I had a hamstring tear that kept me out almost a year, so now I can ride my trainer and build up what I lost and now I have a few months to get back some running shape (assuming we don't have a shelter in place order soon in DK). In the end, I can do workouts at home with my TRX and bike trainer if that does come down, which is much better than many people have it. I am just trying to socially distance while running (which gets easier every day as people here finally take it more seriously).

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a week of my life and schedule being all over the place. I am committing to this program:

Get up before 7 am-coffee+oatmeal for 45 min, run for an hour, start work by 9 am and work throught the day with at least 30 min mid day to catch up with family, park work by 6 pm or earlier, get on rollers+rowing machine for an hour or outdoor 60 min ride , shower-eat, get back to work, go to sleep before 11 pm.

I need to get back into some structure. Without may daily swim and work schedule and my daily swim that is limited by pool time, I have been wavering all over the place this past week and its messing up my mind and well being.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Motivation has completely gone. And who knows what reality will be in a few weeks time? I managed a 30 minute run this morning but my heart wasn’t in it.
Quote Reply
Re: Your training plan for the next few weeks? [CJMcF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Motivation has gone quite a lot, as after a few years of injuries, last year was a nice little comeback year, and was hoping to build on that. But first race with Graz 70.3 and Escape from Alcatraz guaranteed to be cancelled, so my concentration will on running this year as that is my weakpoint.

There is always next year.

N+1
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit of reduced intensity and volume, and no swimming until the lakes warm up.
Dylan Johnson’s video on training in these times is useful: Not just cycling, running and ultras are discussed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Switched to a maintenance plan, on the trainer 5-6 times a week, but just looking at 1-1:15 sessions. Still throwing in a little bit of building work but mainly it’s base efforts for me. No running and didn’t start swim training this week as I had planned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here in southern Europe things are getting nasty. With no pools, gyms, unable to go outside, and no forecast competitions in April and probably May, the training plan is very basic: 1) Not to gain fat. 2) Not to loose much muscle mass. 3) Keep the motivation week by week.

And I have a question for you, Slowtwitchers: considering a very positive scenario, if maybe in mid April we can go outside again after 4 weeks locked at home, is it possible/realistic/healthy/safe to train for an IM in late June/July (all European IM are full since before Christmas, so we are all already registered)? Consider that most of us have a trainer at home, a very basic homemade gym, no treadmill, and absolutely no swimming.
Thank you.

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Switching to maintenance mode here.

Taking opportunity to lose some pounds. Seems very easy to eat less at the moment to not hog family food
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stopped the vo2 max intervals and just do tempo like it's still winter, plus the roads are quiet so I ride long hills and try to do a little more easy volume on the road or mtb. I like doing Zwift races or group rides too. I have weights at home and a mat so I'm set there. Trying to sleep well and take care of my immune system
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SLEEP - it's the best way to improve, and most people get too little of it. With not having to go to work and work from home not nearly equaling the time from before, I've found I can get at least an hour more of sleep each night. I also bumped up training hours by three hours last week - all on the bike with pretty easy stuff. I imagine I'll continue the higher volume biking, run in the neighborhood of 35-40 mpw, and also do 3-4 days of strengthening work, including stretch cords for swimming.

One thing for certain is that if we do get back to any racing this season the swim will be pretty ugly for adult onset swimmers (of which most triathletes are)! I imagine it'll be at least 6-7 weeks before the option of any open water swimming is a viable option here in New England.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hunt for Strava KOMs and drink beer. So about the same as usual...
Quote Reply

Prev Next