Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Your personal experience with USAT's supplemental insurance
Quote | Reply
Had a wreck in my last race and had to be hospitalized. I have insurance through BC/BS and I filed the paperwork with USAT for their supplemental coverage on Apr 30th. I received my hospital bill on Saturday and the amount my BC/BS did not cover is due June 2. If you have used USAT's supplemental insurance, can you walk me through the steps involved? I called USAT, left a message, and am waiting for a return call.
Quote Reply
Re: Your personal experience with USAT's supplemental insurance [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been a while (2015) and I was on drugs when I had to use it (7 broken ribs, broken collarbone, punctured lung, surgery...) but from what I recall, you have to fill out an incident report (for lack of a better term), the RD also should have filled one out, but USAT can deal with that part. You'll be contacted by the third party administrator for the insurance. I just submitted all of my unpaid bills to USAT, after a small deductible they ended up paying something like $1500 (may be more, medical bills and insurance are so confusing hard to tell who pays what sometimes). More than that I don't remember, but if you tell the medical provider you have secondary insurance and give them the contact information, USAT can pay them directly.

Good luck
Last edited by: ChrisM: May 21, 18 12:09
Quote Reply
Re: Your personal experience with USAT's supplemental insurance [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chris!
Quote Reply
Re: Your personal experience with USAT's supplemental insurance [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3K plus in bills due to a high deductible plan - submitted form, bills, and insurance coverages EOB's (nothing covered). They DENIED me. I'm still pissed. I also welcome any advice - they said I didn't submit the bills and EOB and then wanted all tests run etc etc while I was in the hospital. You can imagine coordinating all of this with an out of state hospital and insurance coverage that has since ended has been a supreme pain in my ass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have called the person in charge of USAT insurance MANY times, have never gotten through and have never received a call back
Quote Reply
Re: Your personal experience with USAT's supplemental insurance [jockette21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wondering, does that person have a name? race director fills out incident report which goes to the insurance carrier as documentation of a valid claim. athlete fills out the claim form which can be received from race director or usat. athlete submits claim to the insurance provider, there is a deductible. coverage is for excess medical expenses not covered by primary health care and coverage is up to 25k for covered claim. a diagnosed pre-existing condition would be grounds for denial although every incident, injury and case are different. have no personal experience with receiving benefit but know of several who have. keeping copies of eob and other medical docs is crucial. good luck, hope you heal up quick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh. I just started the paperwork for this for a crash I experienced two weeks ago. Fortunately, I had relatively minor injuries, but the ambulance expenses and tests are going to be pretty pricey, even with a good BC/BS health insurance policy. I think patience and a sense of humor forged from dealing with various US and international bureaucracies will help see me through this. At least that's what I'll tell myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Your personal experience with USAT's supplemental insurance [jockette21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The name I was given is Sean Lankie. Link to his email is on this page.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used it once for a crash I had about 5 years ago. Race director was helpful. As I recall my biggest expense was the ambulance ride and I ended up being OK enough that I was able to leave a couple of hours later go to the after-race cookout afterwards. I believe they (USAT's insurance) picked up for a good chunk of my expenses.

Frankly the fact that I don't remember much about it (i.e. am not ticked off about it) tells me that they did did OK and that it was not a pain in the ass. Sorry I don't remember more
Quote Reply