Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Your favorite electrolyte drink? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I go through a lot of the powdered Gatorade from the big cans although I have trouble with the Gatorade bought in the pre-mixed bottles.

For Racing I've been using Infinit Hot weather or speed mixes. For some reason Infinit settles my stomach after a rough swim and I'm able to eat on schedule after that. Don't know why but it works really well.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite electrolyte drink? [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like TriFuel a lot. I train on lemon lime (caffeine free) and race on Wild Berry (has caffeine). It's high in electorlytes, but doesn't taste as salty as EFS or others. It doesn't bother my gut like some others (heed espcially).

http://brlsports.com/trifuel-energy-and-recovery-drink/
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite electrolyte drink? [C_Hassard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I use it too, but it tastes awful. I have the Cucumber Water flavor now and just toss in a spoonful of Gatoraid mix into the water bottle to kill the taste. I guess it's the amino acids? The stuff works for me....

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skratch Matcha+Lemons when I can find Skratch products. Which is extremely hard it seems in Canada.

LG Maple lemonade if I can't find Skratch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess Gatorade puts me into the minority here. But hey, if something is proven to work for you, don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Powdered fruit punch flavor is my go-to. I mix it to whatever concentration I need depending on the nature/length of my bike ride. When racing HIM/IM I mix in CarboPro to make a potent nutrition bottle, and crack in a few SaltStick caps to boost the electrolyte content. On the run, I survive on Clif Bloks and whatever I come across (usually the cola) at the aid stations.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite electrolyte drink? [paperwind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From Spring-Fall I typically use Infinit but during winter months I typically use Gu Brew. Its cheaper and easier to find on the fly and since most of my training is indoors I don't need everything the Infinit has to offer. That said I went through a container of Sword Ginger Citrus earlier this year and loved it. Taste was great, dissolved very well, no color which can be good or bad, sat well in my stomach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scratch works for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite electrolyte drink? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you guys race with skratch? What do you do for additional calories if your aiming for ~300/hr or can you mix it strong like EFS and increase the concentration of it for calories?

I like Skratch on long training rides (and its great when your actually sick) , but wasn't sure how to use it in an actual race environment.

I used EFS last year, mixed stronger for calories, but tastes like battery acid.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite electrolyte drink? [Jmath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For calories, they suggest actual food sources, which are outlined in their books and blogs. Makes great sense to eliminate any gastric distress. Otherwise, a separate source of calories can be used.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite electrolyte drink? [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up getting Nuun and Scratch.

Wow, Scratch is one of the best drink mixes in terms of tastes! Nuun tastes Okay...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't do Nuun bc of the sugar alcohols. They don't sit well in my gut.
But you're right about Skratch, I love the taste! Pineapple is my favorite.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite electrolyte drink? [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still on Cytomax, despite the change to stevia (the flavors are wonky to me since the swap, but the performance seems fine). But I'm pretty easy - most things work for me/my gut. On long rides, I just stop at a convenience store and use whatever is on sale - Gatorade, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for nuun. Great flavors, easy to use, and I like the separation of electrolytes from other nutrition.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite electrolyte drink? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Whatever they hand out at aide stations so I only need 1-2 bottles on my bike for long course.

I also very much prefer to live off the course. I have not raced anything long in a couple of years, what is currently being used at aid stations for 70.3, 140.6 and Challenge races?
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite electrolyte drink? [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Skratch. I like chewing on my food and Skratch is not too sweet, is very light and doesn't add a lot of calories. I've always gotten the Raspberries flavor but recently purchased the Matcha+Lemon for the caffeine and love it. Based on that experience I'll try the other flavors next.

Before I used Gu Roctane and liked it until I got tired of it and wanted to try getting my calories from real food on the bike. For a better value I'd probably go for Gu Brew.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a vote for Skratch but still use Gatorade a lot. BTW during the summer season, Costco has the very large cans of Gatorade powder at great price. Problem last year was that someone from corporate decided that most of it was being purchased for kids and only stocked the hideous blue crap instead of the usual Orange or Lemon Lime. Walmart carries the medium large cans as well and is only a little more expensive with Orange and LL being available. The powder is not only hugely cheaper but also allows you to mix your own favorite strength and carry pre-measured baggies to mix when only water is available on your ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
I've been using succeeds amino powder to make my drinks... Thinking of switching it up.. what does everyone like in terms of electrolyte powder mix?

GU brew? Hammer? Cliff?

Due to an ongoing intestinal issue, fresh squeezed orange juice is all I can tolerate. Two years ago, I used Trace Mineral Power Paks and their 40,000 Volt Electrolyte drops. A year before that, I used Nuun tablets.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite electrolyte drink? [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do they sell the gatorade endurance stuff that IM will be using or is it just the thirst quencher?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What?! No love for Xtend by Scivation?

That's my go to when there isn't a need for sugar/carbs. I think it comes out cheaper than a NUUN or most other brands of tabs. It tastes so much better too. I love the Mango Nectar flavor.

I saw a couple people make the solid point of using whatever is on course for your bigger races. Very important the closer you get to the event.

I really liked the old version of GU's Electrolyte Brew in blueberry pomegranate. The taste and electrolyte profile worked well for me. I haven't tried the updated version with the higher fructose blend and "lighter" taste yet. It wasn't exactly cheap, so I often go to......

When I need carbs and electrolytes together, I keep going back to giant tubs of Gatorade. It's pennies on the dollar compared to Skratch and many others. It's constantly served at running races, so I just got used to it.

Smaller servings of lemon lime Gatorade and lemon lime Xtend go really well together. They also leave the cool BCAA streaks on your bike frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have only seen gatorade endurance at one place, my local tri shop started carrying it when Ironman went to gatorade. I get it on Amazon but I am fine with G2 or regular gatorade cut with water. You can ALWAYS find gatorade at a gas station. I haven't tried the "gatorlytes" which are designed to dissolve into gatorade for added sodium and what not, I will when it gets nice and hot out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gatorade, available anywhere. Usually though, I just take an electrolyte tablet and water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone tried the Louis Garneau Maple Lemonade?

112cal
28g carb
20 g sugar
500mg sodium
150mg potassium
+vtc c/Calcium/Magnesium
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's just regular Gatorade G series 02 Perform Thirst Quencher 3lb. 3 oz can makes 24 quarts
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite electrolyte drink? [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guinness.
Quote Reply

Prev Next