Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the older Syntace C2 aerobars on my first tri bike (Cervelo Eyre) and loved them. Not super adjustable, but the bike fit me well so they were super comfortable.

I'm riding a Renn 5IVE 7EVEN 5IVE disc wheel from the early 2000s that still rides great and gives up very little to a new $2000 disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still got a Garmin 305 on the go for running - although don't tend to use it much these days as the interface is a pain. I think I have had that since around 2008? Also still rocking an SRM powermeter I bought in 2010. Its been serviced three times and still going strong. The head unit needs a new battery in it now but that has kept going to nearly 8 years! The SRM has outlived a Quarq S975 which came back as a Quarq riken before it finally died after about 5 years, and a powertap! You get what you pay for........... :-)

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow my p4 is vintage.
I have 2005 cannondale 2000 at my parents in England.
My training road bike is a 1994 pinarello Asolo.
But the equipment that has lasted the longest is a brooks b17 saddle, not very racy but its the only saddle I can use without bike shorts.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [PatMcNichol61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano SPD and SDP-SL pedals have been basically the same since the 90s. Because they're perfect.

As far as I'm concerned, Speedo Vanquishers are still the best googles you can get.

Helly Hansen nailed the polypro base layer with Lifa shirts and leggings in the late eighties. Still just about the best you can buy. Reasonably priced too.

Old school cup and cone hubs and threaded BBs are both much better than newer alternatives.

I run the same routes frequently. I know where I'm at from a mileage perspective and don't need a gps watch. A regular old $35 Timex Ironman still has the best button placement, clearest screen and easiest to use stopwatch design.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The P3SL came in some odd and some even sizes. I have a 58 that is still in use - currently as a track bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the pool clock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:

I wonder just "how slow" that P3-SL is, as compared to some of today's more moderately priced tri bikes.

Anyone know?

I've got plenty of n=1 data riding it. For me, it's generally a little slower than my Gen1 Speed concept 7 series. Just a round (albeit narrow) head tube probably doesn't help it, and cables could route a little better. The welded on FD hanger as well probably doesn't do it any favors.

If you want to do back of the napkin calculation, Cervelo said the P2c was about neck and neck with the P3sl when the P2c came out.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
15 year old Performance Bike Shop bike shorts & 20 year old Pearl Izumi bike shorts. (Soon to be retired...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
What piece of "vintage" equipment/technology/clothing are you still using, or have gone back to using?
The oldest bike in my stable is a 1979 Fuji America.

Consumables have largely been replaced, although there are some interesting things...

Rear derailleur is a SunTour Cyclone GT. At ~190g I think it's actually the lightest derailleur on any of my bikes, but it's rated for a healthy 36T of wrap and can manage a 34T large cog.
Being from the 70s, it's not indexable and its parallelogram can't sweep across modern wide cassettes. But it has one feature that's head and shoulders above how nearly all other derailleurs do business, and that's the open cage. Besides looking awesome, it also allows you to mount or remove the chain from the derailleur without breaking it.

The BB spindle is asymmetric, and to an extreme degree. It's about a centimeter longer on the drive side than the non-drive side, and that asymmetry carries all the way to the positions of the pedals. It sounds very lopsided, but I don't notice it while riding. I think the goal was to minimize q-factor: the cranks are triple, but the q-factor measures only about 142mm.

The hubs are SunShine Gyromasters, and use sealed cartridges. I replaced the rear wheel's bearings when they developed play, but to my knowledge, the bearings in the front wheel are the bike's originals.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavidK wrote:
The P3SL came in some odd and some even sizes. I have a 58 that is still in use - currently as a track bike.

Ok, fair enough. Yes, the p3sl came in 48, 51, 53, 55, 58, 61.

But really, my point was in regards to the 54: a 54 is a p3, a 53 (or 55) is a p3sl.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
15 year old Performance Bike Shop bike shorts & 20 year old Pearl Izumi bike shorts. (Soon to be retired...)
Your friends were just snickering behind your back and not telling you they are see-through.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

Your friends were just snickering behind your back and not telling you they are see-through.

maybe they just are never behind him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Willi Altig bicycle house bicycle cap made of linen .. (with faded signature) ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many years ago, I took a velodrome racing class to learn that part of the sport. One of the guys in the class had these bike shorts with a semi-transparent vertical vent running the length of his butt crack. Riding behind him was horrible. Everyone in the class staged an intervention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great. Now I've got coffee all over my KVM.

Does someone have a napkin?

damn that was funny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I laugh at all of you guys. You do know Old School stopped with the invention of aerobars?

Funny bikes I still count as old school and I rode the 1986 Ironman on one. That is tough day in the saddle with only one bar position on the Kona hills. I saw my first aero bars at that race. A Guy had a split toilet seat with two dowels for hand grips. I thought Hmmm, that is interesting. Less than a year later the Scott triangle bars came out and changed the world. All aerobars were called "Scott bars" for a few years after that no matter the manufacturer. Sort of like ordering a" Coke" that was actually a Pepsi.

Answering the OP question I say all of them. My current TT rig is either a round tube track bike or a round tube 5 speed MKM. I have an old mechanical stopwatch and holder mounted on the bars. I think aerobars ruined the group ride and cycling in general. People actually used to ride 100 miles on the tops and talked to each other on group rides inches off each others wheels. Now you see single files of people a bike length or two behind each other roaring down the road like the big coal trains we see rumbling across Montana. No words are spoken.

I owned a bunch of aero stuff and never did like riding it. Now on the rare occasion I actually do a tri or a TT other than mtb kine it is pretty much the same set up I used to do my PR sub 58min 25 mile TT in the olden days. Fixed gear 52/14 (now it is 48/14) or because in tris you need a rear brake on the old MKM 5 speed. I never did catch my old time, but it is nice to have a time reference using pretty much the same equipment as I once rode. I have never started a 25mile or 40k TT without thoughts of breaking the holy hour time. Has not worked out so well as of late, but old dogs can still dream. Woof woof.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I laugh at all of you guys. You do know Old School stopped with the invention of aerobars?

You are wrong - it was the wheel. About the time Flathead Lake was being made.

Although I agree with y'all about the aerobars on group rides.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and you tied an onion to your belt, which was the style at the time...

G-man wrote:

Funny bikes I still count as old school and I rode the 1986 Ironman on one. That is tough day in the saddle with only one bar position on the Kona hills. I saw my first aero bars at that race. A Guy had a split toilet seat with two dowels for hand grips. I thought Hmmm, that is interesting. Less than a year later the Scott triangle bars came out and changed the world. All aerobars were called "Scott bars" for a few years after that no matter the manufacturer. Sort of like ordering a" Coke" that was actually a Pepsi.

Answering the OP question I say all of them. My current TT rig is either a round tube track bike or a round tube 5 speed MKM. I have an old mechanical stopwatch and holder mounted on the bars. I think aerobars ruined the group ride and cycling in general. People actually used to ride 100 miles on the tops and talked to each other on group rides inches off each others wheels. Now you see single files of people a bike length or two behind each other roaring down the road like the big coal trains we see rumbling across Montana. No words are spoken.

I owned a bunch of aero stuff and never did like riding it. Now on the rare occasion I actually do a tri or a TT other than mtb kine it is pretty much the same set up I used to do my PR sub 58min 25 mile TT in the olden days. Fixed gear 52/14 (now it is 48/14) or because in tris you need a rear brake on the old MKM 5 speed. I never did catch my old time, but it is nice to have a time reference using pretty much the same equipment as I once rode. I have never started a 25mile or 40k TT without thoughts of breaking the holy hour time. Has not worked out so well as of late, but old dogs can still dream. Woof woof.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wetsuit is 11 years old. Do I really need some super special new rubber that will make me 3 seconds faster?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced both AG races at World's in Chicago (2015) on a Kestrel SCi 200 bought new in 1995. It's the back-up race bike but felt more appropriate for the downtown streets of Chicago. Still with all original eqp except tube, tires, and bar tape. And did swap out aero bars in the last decade. Includes a Spinergy front wheel and a used Specialized tri spoke back wheel bought the same year. Fits like a glove. Outfitted with Sampson Stratics pedals too. The entire fleet (5) of race and workout bikes are equipped with the Stratics pedals plus another pair one in reserve. I like new eqp and new innovation. But love the proven fast stuff for racing.

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/
https://www.palmtreesahead.com/tactics2faster-new
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 1983 Nishki Royal 15. I am the original and only owner, and its been ridden in Africa (Kenya), Asia (Philippines and Japan), and in Mexico as well as several states in the US. Bought new at La Mesa Cycles in La Mesa, CA when I was in the Navy. CroMoly frame and fork, Shimano 600 Arabesque derailleurs and crank (triple crank), downtube shifters and aluminum handlebars.

I am rebuilding the bike, it goes on the bike stand in May when I return from a business convention. I will keep as much of the bike original as possible, and I am really hoping to keep the derailleurs, crank and frame as close to original as possible, including the old San Diego bicycle licence and store sticker if possible. La Mesa Cycles closed about 5 years after I bought the bike, it is now a carpet store :(
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1970s wool Castelli Jersey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2001 Fuji "team" carbon/aluminum hybrid road bike with ultegra 7 speed. 61 cm frame and still comes in at 18#
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
I still use an old Garmin Edge 500. It does everything I want except for wifi upload and it's just not worth it to me to spend several hundred dollars for a single feature.

Yet another vote for the Garmin Edge 500. Mine is ancient and still works like a champ. Does everything I want it to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'd be my TYR Catalyst paddles. Replaced the elastic bands for cut tubes and they are going strong after easily 20 years (Since my college days). I even bought a replacement pair that was stolen after months, so went back to them, and will probably never change them again.

I currently use Speedo Vanquishers too, which were all the rage on those years, but during my swimming years, I always used swedish googles.
Quote Reply

Prev Next