Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Your Scosche Rhythm+ best working practices
Quote | Reply
Kinda surprised there hasn't been an explicit thread about this - if there has been already, direct me to it and my apologies!

Was wondering if folks would care to share their 'best' practices for their Scosche Rhythm+ HRM. I was reminded of it today as I set off on a run with a loose fitting jacket, and I couldn't get any readings from my bicep position. I actually had forgotten completely that I get better run readings with it on my forearm - took me 20 minutes of flailing with the HRM before I remembered!

I know there isn't one perfect solution to best placement due to body position, activity, clothing, etc., but here's my n=1 long-term working Scosche Rhythm+ practices:

- Outdoor running: Fleshy forearm right past the elbow, fairly tight, and on the same arm as the Garmin watch. It does NOT work for me on my biceps, and it also does NOT work if I put the HRM on the opposite arm as the Garmin watch - I suspect inteference with the BT signal from crossbody might be at play, but it works like nearly 100% solidly on the forearm, but gets totally wonky readings nearly all the time if I put it anywhere else.

- Bike trainer KICKR aero position - I put it on my bicep, as on the forearm it interferes with resting on the aerobar pads in certain positions. I actually get amazingly good near 100% stable readings even on super hard efforts with it on the trainer despite it totally failing here for running.

- Racing - Unfortunately, I haven't gotten it to work for me in racing - the logistics of putting it on/off are too annoying and twice I think it locked onto someone else's HRM since I had it in the exact right spots and it was reading nothing close to reality.

- When to replace the strap - The branded straps last a little less than a year for me. Yeah, kinda sucks, but they're only $15. I just got a new one after my old one was slipping loose several times each run workout. My new strap in comparison had zero slippage, even with 1' super hard 1' easy alternating intervals with lots of arm motion.

Hope this helps, feel free to share yours!
Quote Reply
Re: Your Scosche Rhythm+ best working practices [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally I have no issues with it on the bicep for for all purposes. For a wetsuit swim I put it on for the swim. Non wetsuit have to put it on in T1 and it's a pain. Almost all my swims are wetsuit

Lately I've taken to keeping it as a loop but with just the very end of the velcro attached, so it's easy slide on and then just tighten.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running, biking, and KICIR indoor training all worked equally well for me on either forearm or bicep. I typically wear it on my forearm for ease of putting it on. Their OE strap is soft and comfortable, and I did not notice it at all on the trainer.

Races I hung it on my extensions and exit T1 and mount the bike first. After I get riding out of T1, I will put it on while stable and riding. I miss a couple minutes of HR, but it does not cost me any delay in transition that way.

I got a Rhythm24 this year and gave away my R+. The R24's strap is not as comfortable as the R+, but it is fine. The R24's Ant+ is way better than the R+. (I frequently had interference problems on my trainer in the basement with my R+ that have not happened on the R24.) For races, I put the R24 on before, under my wetsuit, and wear it start to finish. That use case is awesome.

Caveat to R24: I have one, but I do not think it is ready for prime time yet. They still have a number of firmware issues to sort out. I use a TICKR FIT for workouts now, and have my R24 for races. I prefer the TICKR FIT over the R+ because of the battery life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to wear mine on my bicep, opposite arm from my watch. In almost 4 years of use, I never had connection issues running (with Garmin 920XT) or biking (Edge 520). For races short of IM I wore it the entire race, turning it on just before swim start (for IM I used a chest strap).

I have stopped using the Scosche since getting a watch with integrated HRM, since it is one less device to put on, clean, and charge. I was also starting to have issues charging the Scosche, which I put up to worn contacts after ~1000 workouts.
Last edited by: mike_w: Jan 25, 19 13:42
Quote Reply
Re: Your Scosche Rhythm+ best working practices [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, went the 24 route and it broke within 2 weeks from that design defect last summer or so, Also switched to the ticker fit
Quote Reply
Re: Your Scosche Rhythm+ best working practices [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How have you liked the Tickr Fit? I'm ok with my Scosche but I would prefer something with better range, as at least with mine, I can't even wear it on the opposite arm of my Garmin or else it won't work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
How have you liked the Tickr Fit? I'm ok with my Scosche but I would prefer something with better range, as at least with mine, I can't even wear it on the opposite arm of my Garmin or else it won't work.

I really went with the Tickr to get extra battery time for an ironman, I never had issues with connectivity with either unit,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If my basement is a valid test, the TICKR FIT has better Ant+ connectivity than my Rhythm+. I used to frequently get dropped connections between my R+ and computer on the indoor trainer. (Never an outdoor drop.) So far, my TICKR FIT has never dropped. The only real downside to the FIT is that it is not as comfortable as the R+.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always on my forearm. Didn't like the feeling of it on my picep.
And in that position it's 100% reliable - by far the most reliable HRM I've ever had.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looked like a great idea so I got one for my wife. 118 lbs - med build - never could find a reliable position to wear it. Pretty quickly went into the "Old s.... that doesn't work" box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my best practice was to get get rid of it the scosche and start using a garmin hr strap.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It mostly works fine for me on the bicep of the same arm as the watch for running.

For riding it's hit and miss at best, but mostly a miss - the effin thing drops off as soon as I go hard. It's so odd, both outside and on the trainer. Tried it in ANT+ and Bluetooth mode, using two different Edge computers outside and a Mac laptop (with ANT+ USB stick when in ANT+ mode) and as soon as I'm doing an interval, it drops off. So I don't use it at all for cycling.

It's also annoying as hell to charge - I have to fiddle with it to get it to charge for longer than 10 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Scosche Rhythm+ best working practices [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve used it for years. Never one problem getting it to charge or a single drop. Only thing is really low tradings right before the battery completely dies.

We have 3-4 in our house. True for all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
It mostly works fine for me on the bicep of the same arm as the watch for running.

For riding it's hit and miss at best, but mostly a miss - the effin thing drops off as soon as I go hard. It's so odd, both outside and on the trainer. Tried it in ANT+ and Bluetooth mode, using two different Edge computers outside and a Mac laptop (with ANT+ USB stick when in ANT+ mode) and as soon as I'm doing an interval, it drops off. So I don't use it at all for cycling.

It's also annoying as hell to charge - I have to fiddle with it to get it to charge for longer than 10 seconds.

I dunno about the dropouts, but my Scosche is the easiest of all my devices to charge - locks onto the charge mount no problemo, every time. Yours sounds defective!
Quote Reply
Re: Your Scosche Rhythm+ best working practices [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm unlucky I guess. Where do you wear it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Left bicep. Watch on left wrist. Bike computer centered between aero bars and out front mount on road bike.

Wife setup the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Scosche Rhythm+ best working practices [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Yeah, odd for sure - this works great until I go hard. I thought maybe I start some weird movements when I do that, but tried in a controlled environment on a trainer and for whatever reason as soon as I start pushing more watts, the signal just drops... Maybe I'll try another one if I see it on sale (hate chest strap for running). Or maybe will get a chest strap for biking only.

Re: charging, it was originally a charger issue, one of the pins got shorter, must have broken off. I got another one and it worked great for a while, but now being weird again while the pins seem intact. I unplug it and plug it back in ~3-5 times until it starts charging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:

Re: charging, it was originally a charger issue, one of the pins got shorter, must have broken off. I got another one and it worked great for a while, but now being weird again while the pins seem intact. I unplug it and plug it back in ~3-5 times until it starts charging.

I also have had charger issues.

I have had to replace 2 or 3 chargers with the Rhythm +, and 1 for the Rhythm24. Usually 1 of the 2 pins will get pushed in and stay depressed so it doesn't make solid contact with the Rhythm device so it wont charge. One I think I replaced because the part that clips on to the Rhythm and holds it in place stopped holding securely so It wouldnt charge.

The Rhythm+ has worked pretty good for me in general for the past few years. I have had signal dropouts while on the trainer from time to time, but not very often.

I prefer the Rhythm24 strap since its not velcro. I also like the longer battery life on the 24. The main issue I have had with the Rhythm 24 is connecting it to my devices. Over 50% of the time it doesn't automatically connect when I turn it on. I may have to turn it on and off 5-6 or more times to get my PC or my garmin to recognize it. Its getting really annoying having to waste 10-15 minutes before most of my trainer sessions troubleshooting HRM issues.

I've gone back to using the Rhythm+ most of the time for my trainer workouts, and break out the Rhythm24 for long outdoor rides and races.

Quote Reply