Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at the Torhans 30 oz aero bottle that sits between the bars with the mount tray. Any opinions on either?
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought this exact set up for my new Felt IA. Testing showed the Aero 30 actually improves the aerodynamics of the bike. It is easy to install and a slick design. I had read threads about spillage problems but it sounded like Torhans had fixed the problem.

Well they haven't!!! I raced Ironman 70.3 Victoria recently and both me and my bike were literally covered in sticky liquid. I probably lost 250 - 400ml of planned nutrition out the top of the bottle. Then last weekend I tried putting Saran wrap over the top fill hole (i cut a hole in it) - then used a an elastic to keep it tight so I could refill on the go. Unfortunately then the Aero 30 the lid would not stay on. I ended up using the closed cover to avoid the spillage - but then had to stop every time to refill. Not what I want to be doing at Ironman Canada.

I will try a sponge on my next ride - and try taping the fill hole (with a X in it). Not sure either will work.

I sent a note to Torhans. No response. I suspect they don't have a solution. I may have to go back to my less aerodynamic Profile system.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [Kate S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, thanks for the review. That is good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have the secondary fill piece in place? I have the Aero30 and haven't had any spillage despite a full bottle and bumpy roads.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had some spilling problems, so took it upon myself to seal things up.

I used food grade silicone glue to seal and secure the X cap unto the bottle. I then use the non-X top cap for all my rides. That seems to keep the liquids in just fine. I have to remove the solid cap, place is jersey pocket, then refill the bottle on the fly.

I also used some silicone glue to secure the straw in place, since I do not use the aero-straw mast.

Sure it leaks a little bit, but not quite as bad as others have mentioned. I will happily trade off a bit of leak for the aero and aesthetic gains.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree with the post above. I have the Aero 30 and had an older version and Torhan's sent me the new caps and straw holder about 3 years ago and I have had no issues with spillage. I get minor spillage, but I have wrapped it in there very tightly and never fill it up to the top. I love it. The only issue I had was with the mounting bracket, as the little hook at the end of the velcro straps broke about 2 years ago. I replaced and its been good ever since.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [mstyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - I have the secondary fill piece - though when I look at your picture mine does not appear to be as deep as yours (perhaps half the depth). I just bought it one month ago - but perhaps Torhans has an updated version?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using it for a few years but it is still a pain in the ass. Torhans sent me a bunch of different caps and covers to try but they all result in serious spilling and splashing. At Boise 70.3 I was emptying a water bottle from the course into it and when I removed and chucked the bottle the cap and cover were both gone. I wasn't able to hold more than 15oz in it without a cover and water was constantly splashing. I also abandoned all hope of using the "straw housing" as it never stays down and usually flys off.

I have resorted to only putting water in it because of the splashing and it's tough to clean. I also only fill it ~75% as you'll lose ~25% with any kind of movement.

It's aero but a pain in the ass. I'm not actively looking for a new suggestion but would welcome one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i had the 20 for a while. splashed a lot on bumpy roads regardless of cap configuration, and the aero straw cover kept popping off, but those are possibly fixable problems.

i got the aeroZ recently. no splashing, overall like it a lot more...but the straw is in a really awkward position, and i also had to move my garmin from my stem (bottle blocks my view) and macgyver a mount between my extensions (which is actually a better spot for it).

as for the tray...i had that too. didn't like it, mostly because it rattled around a lot against the bottle. if you could find a way to secure it more tightly, it might be ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been discussed on here before. Forget all the Torhans sealing solutions. Get one of these CeeGees Jetstream sponge/filters and end the issues:

This is the only image I could find, but it is out of date. The newest version uses a coarse weave and has slots for the bottle straw. I use these in multiple Torhans bottles after trying all the various baffles. Back when I ran PD bottles I would substitute the Ceegees (used to be Syntace) sponge in place of PD's yellow filters.

I use the solid Torhans caps with a short fishing line lanyard connection so it can't be dropped during a refill. The only splashing I ever get now is if I hit a bump with the bottle refilled ahead of getting the cap back in place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Aero 30 (purchased this spring) on my Speed Concept and it works well. I use the baffle and tried the lid with the X in it, water went everywhere. So I use the baffle and the solid lid. I still get some minor leakage when it's full but it's not too bad. I only use water in mine though, so the minor leaking doesn't bother me. if you wanted to but something else in it I would go another route, although some of the fixes mentioned already might work as well. I can refill while riding just by removing the lid and either putting it in my mouth/pocket/other hand for a minute.

As far as the mount goes - it is simple enough to mount and use, although I do get quite a bit of rattling out of mine which is quite annoying. I tried tightening the closure strap, which helped but I must have over tightened it one ride and it snapped the clip off one side of the mount mid ride. I added some felt to the inside of the mount and that has helped reduce the rattling a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried the torhans aero30 a few years ago and always had massive spillage. Usually would take an hour after the ride to clean up the bike stickiness. I tried all the suggested solutions but it never worked. I read about the spillage posts by Tor and Hans always sounded like it was no big deal. It actually is quite a huge deal to lose most your fluids to spillage.

I ditched it long ago but last week I decided to give something else a try. I looked into the Torhans aeroZ (Because I already have the mounts) and the XLab Torpedo 40. Both are bta systems with attached straws and refillable. After lots of debate, I went with the XLab version. The reason being, The torhans aeroZ looks good but it isn't a flexible bottle and looks hard to clean. They have a video on how to clean it but Hard to trust it from prior experience with their setup. They said stick it in the dish washer lol which I can tell definitely won't clean. It does looks like it's spill proof though.
Last edited by: 125mph: Jun 26, 15 6:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run the 20 and 30 and I too had some spillage at first. To fix it I went to the $1 Store and got the plastic "scrub pad" and placed it in the bottle after filling. For the refill the liquids can get down into the bottle but the "matrix" of the pad keeps splashing to a minimum. Straw can be routed easily through it as well. I also still used the rubber gasket and refill lid.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't this essentially the same thing as the yellow thing that comes with the profile design bottle of old? If so, I already have 2 from those bottles and could use those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure I never owned those products but if it looks the same I say go for it. I lucked into this as I was cleaning the bottle I dropped it in the sink and noticed that nothing splashed out on me. That sold me to the effectiveness of it!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Aero 30, and I can concur with others who have mentioned that it splashes. And quite badly in my opinion. If you ride on nothing but smooth roads, you'll be fine with a stock setup. I fixed mine using a similar solution to the scour pads mentioned a couple posts above. I find that it works better than a sponge because it floats (therefore staying as close to the opening as possible), yet doesn't absorb any fluid. I also have an XLab Torpedo, but with the splashing dealt with, I prefer the Torhans Aero 30 over the Torpedo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i use mine for 3 months and get lot of splash...also vibrate a lot. . I tight with cable ties but still annoying me .
not impress so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
It's been discussed on here before. Forget all the Torhans sealing solutions. Get one of these CeeGees Jetstream sponge/filters and end the issues:

This is the only image I could find, but it is out of date. The newest version uses a coarse weave and has slots for the bottle straw. I use these in multiple Torhans bottles after trying all the various baffles. Back when I ran PD bottles I would substitute the Ceegees (used to be Syntace) sponge in place of PD's yellow filters.

I use the solid Torhans caps with a short fishing line lanyard connection so it can't be dropped during a refill. The only splashing I ever get now is if I hit a bump with the bottle refilled ahead of getting the cap back in place.

I have had the Torhans 20 and 30 oz bottles and have had a lot of splash as well. Had mine for probably a few months after replacing the Xlabs Torpedo 400 due to splashing even more. I purchased the CeeGees Splash Filter (https://www.ceegees.com/product/?product_id=151) but have yet to install it. The filter doesnt look anything like that picture. Did you cut it down to make it the size of the bottle or did the use the stock piece (and thickness) and push it into the bottom. I am concerned that refilling the bottle will be a PIA now. I will have to do some testing this week. I like the Torhans 30 since I can mount it a little lower and fill it with a 20oz bottle of water and still have some free space on top to try and control the splashing. I also have the aero tray but dont think that it works well since it mounts in in the rear of the bottle and makes it difficult to see (currently have my Garmin mount as forward as possible on aerobars so that its in my line of sight while biking instead of having to look further down and taking eyes off road).

Chirag
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [cpatel529] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The two Cee Gee/Syntace filters I have are both generally shaped as shown in the photo. They are sliced down the middle at the front and rear to clear drinking straws and are made out of a coarse plastic fiber material rather than foam sponge material. I just shove them into the top couple of inches of the bottles with the rear part going in first, and the split going over the straw. Then I move the filter around to get it seated near the top. We run these on Torhans 20 and 30 bottles and it largely eliminates the splashing. I've also modified the strawmast so that it is pinned on and added fishing line lanyards for the top caps. I no longer run the second splash guard layer gasket from Torhans. Filling the bottles through the filter works fine.

I never tried the Torhans tray. It looked like a PITA and I too want my meter out front. I have it between my aerobars on the ski bends so it is largely between my hands on the extensions.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
The two Cee Gee/Syntace filters I have are both generally shaped as shown in the photo. They are sliced down the middle at the front and rear to clear drinking straws and are made out of a coarse plastic fiber material rather than foam sponge material. I just shove them into the top couple of inches of the bottles with the rear part going in first, and the split going over the straw. Then I move the filter around to get it seated near the top. We run these on Torhans 20 and 30 bottles and it largely eliminates the splashing. I've also modified the strawmast so that it is pinned on and added fishing line lanyards for the top caps. I no longer run the second splash guard layer gasket from Torhans. Filling the bottles through the filter works fine.

I never tried the Torhans tray. It looked like a PITA and I too want my meter out front. I have it between my aerobars on the ski bends so it is largely between my hands on the extensions.

Thanks SummitAK. Do you have a link to the part that you bought? Now I am wondering if I got the wrong item from Cee Gees (the link was included in my post but their is no picture on the Cee Gees site). My item had 2 slits as well for straw location but it was also about 1/2" thick. Came with 2 filters in one pack. Will have to look at it again tonight when I get back from work.

Chirag
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I tried tightening the closure strap, which helped but I must have over tightened it one ride and it snapped the clip off one side of the mount mid ride.
Looks like you are the second poster with this issue, I emailed on this one as well, it also happened to me mid-ride. No reply for Torhans. Overall, I like it, but like others with the following tweaks; sponge baffle for splashing, only use top slit cap for racing, silicone bead on straw for better retention within mast as it tends to work its way out (up) especially when full. I have always used (prefer) a BTA, but went with Torhans 30 with my new Felt. The fit on this bike is very good.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [cpatel529] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the only link I've seen for the filters. Mine are probably two inches thick. I'll try to remember to get some photos at home to post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Ceegees sponges help a lot, and make it possible to use these, but I've broken two of the mounts this season. They break where the velcro strap holds the bottle to the mount. The mounts are not up to the task of keeping the bottle in place. At Santa Cruz this year the mount broke, then the bottle flew out and split down the seam. Lost my nutrition for the race. Unfortunately as aero as they are they are not reliable enough to use.

Poor engineering guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [blackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep hoping they'll re-engineer those front tabs to articulate. Either some type of replaceable nylon tab or just metal hoops. Mine always break off in my bike travel case. After doing this a couple of times I engineered my own fix - drill a small vertical hole in the mount about 4mm back of the front edge, then run a mini-keyring hoop through it. It doesn't even end up all that fugly when the Velcro strap pulls it tight against the bottle.

Things like this suck with Torhans because they got the aero part right to start with. But they've left all these minor issues that if fixed would take their products over the top. Evolution of design. Not that difficult of a concept...
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [blackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... I've broken two of the mounts this season. They break where the velcro strap holds the bottle to the mount. The mounts are not up to the task of keeping the bottle in place.

I had the same issue - broke the tabs. The bottle was always loose in the tray anyway - the tabs didn't help tighten it much.

I found a great solution though…I put a wrap of adhesive velco around the bottle in the groove where it slides into the tray - this stops the bouncing. Then I put a small strip of velcro on the stem end of the tray (where it curves). Make sure both pieces of velco are the same (hooks or loops). Finally I have a long piece of velcro that I start at the stem end of the tray (on the adhesive velco) and then wrap around the bottle (picking up the velcro I added to the bottle) and back again. It is 100% solid and stops the rattling. 5 minutes work

Still no luck with the splashing though. It is even worse because I have the trap upside down to get the right fit for my Felt. Too bad we have to be the ones to figure this out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next