Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Your 2021 relationship with alcohol
Quote | Reply
**edited for those who are checking in throughout the year, if you're new to this thread I encourage you to read through the postings of our Dry January to get some inspiration and connection to the why and how some STers are going and staying dry!**

Well, hello there Slowtwitchers!

My inbox has been blowing up recently since we're nearing the end of 2020 (Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank fuuuuuuuuuuuu- you get the idea), and it's been refreshing and inspiring to read the latest messages reflecting back on everyone's relationship with alcohol through the year. I had thought about resurrecting this thread several times since about June, when I had thought for SURE we had finally hit rock bottom with this pandemic, and then another day that ended in Y came around and proved me wrong.

So, let's start 2021 off on the right foot, in control of one of our vices and investing a little bit back into ourselves with a healthy dose of discipline and teamwork!

If you're playing along for the first time, or are just now coming out of your sparking wine and cheese fog from the holidays and need a refresher, here's how this generally goes:

1. I'll be posting a check-in here every day throughout January. Feel free to read along, nod silently in agreement, or check in yourself for accountability. If you don't feel comfortable checking in publicly, I offer you my personal pompoms and private message inbox every day you need it.

2. Take this extra time to tune into your body. We all love data- keep track of your resting HR, hours slept, quality of sleep, how many chocolate chips you snarfed because you're missing your after dinner ritual, and how well you're otherwise staying hydrated. There are lots more metrics too, so share with the class what you're experiencing!

3. The goal of this month is to evaluate your relationship with alcohol. Some people will come into this thread to tell us that drinking is wrong and gross and we're awful humans for enjoying a nice single barrel bourbon every so often (come on, this IS the ST forum after all), but many others will share inspiring stories about their sobriety and encourage us to fulfill our promise to ourselves this month and potentially beyond. And, several of us will also discuss our favorite beverage of choice- the one that gets us through this month, and the one we're looking forward to after this period ends. Quality over quantity is a common theme here.

4. If you manage to succeed in staying dry for 31 days in January, that's a whole 8.5% of the year already spent sober!

So, are you ready? Let's jump in feet first and make this a great month!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Last edited by: Dr_Cupcake: Feb 8, 21 8:05
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2021 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Following! I did Dry January 2020 with you guys & I'm going for it again. I really need it.............

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dry January year 3 for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. No alcohol 2021. Be well my friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In, but also adding Diet Coke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have watched this for a few years now. I have never joined in...mostly because if I am honest, I was too scared to. When I say that I am going to do something, I expect myself to do just that. This year I am in. I don't believe this will be easy. I hope I am wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2021 [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ktri wrote:
I have watched this for a few years now. I have never joined in...mostly because if I am honest, I was too scared to. When I say that I am going to do something, I expect myself to do just that. This year I am in. I don't believe this will be easy. I hope I am wrong.

YES! You’ve got this! We’ve got you!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since 2007 when I started with triathlon I have following routine:
- no alcohol from the 2nd of January on until the A-race (in 2021 in July)
- Since a couple of years I allow exceptions: birthdays, parties, but those are not frequent, let's mention a number of five and they never provoke a fall-back

The first years it was difficult since since I'm 15 I could not imagine weekends without alcohol.
In those first years it was difficult for a couple of months until it was normal to never drink.
In the last years however it feels quite normal and unproblematic from the start of the period on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in.

Move on. Keep training. Be an adult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m committing this year. FYI a lot of great NA beer options out there now too. Athletic Brewing has many options. Even Budweiser has a NA option now!

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in! Year 2 for me! Love this string!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2021 [Jayjuno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am planning a dry january ,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in...but starting January 3. My wife's birthday is on January 2 and there is no way I'm not passing up the great bottle of wine she plans to open for her birthday celebration.

Hope you're cool with my late arrival!

Happy New Year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great. Thanks a million for doing this! I'm in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in . Thanks for the post.
Last edited by: coyote pelon: Jan 1, 21 9:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dry February is an easier option. Its only 28 days.

Deceptively slow.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2021 [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lutzman wrote:
I'm in...but starting January 3. My wife's birthday is on January 2 and there is no way I'm not passing up the great bottle of wine she plans to open for her birthday celebration.

Hope you're cool with my late arrival!

Happy New Year!

Fair enough but we're going to hold you accountable for the full 31 days starting a couple late!

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2021 [Speckled Hen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speckled Hen wrote:
Dry February is an easier option. Its only 28 days.
Yeah, but that's like saying you PRed your 5k when the course was short.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in! Year three for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I will give it a go again. I've never actually made it through the entire month before. I don't think I've ever full committed myself. Honestly, I don't even know if I'm fully committed this year either. I keep trying to think of excuses already. This is my third year attempting and hopefully 3rd time is a charm. I think my best was ~3 weeks. Let's see how I do this year.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2021 [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in! I did November 2019 sober by myself. It will be cool to do a 31 day month and have a community for back up! Thanks for continuing this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna go for it too! Going from 4 strong IPAs a night to nothing gonna be tough.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2021 [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Athletic Brewing IPA is solid. It tastes relatively hoppy. They have other NA varieties as well. Perhaps most importantly- you can order it from Amazon!

I never smoked, but have heard part of the struggle to quit is the series of habits associated with it - such as lighting, holding, etc.

One thing I like about the good tasting NA beers is that it allows you to experience the routines we enjoy - like popping a top, pouring into a glass, watching a foamy head form and smelling the hops.

When I drink beer now I’m going with “session” (low ABV) and working in some of the NA beers too.

Wishing all of you a great, healthy 2021.

Cheers,
-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in for year two.
Quote Reply

Prev Next