Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
You tire choice: explain this
Quote | Reply
about 1,100 of you took our poll, which we held for 3 or 4 days last week.

what tire brand are you most likely to use for racing in triathlons? here's what you said:

Continental: 71%
Vittoria: 10%
Specialized: 6%
Michelin: 4%
Schwalbe: 3%
Zipp: 2%
Bontrager: 1%
Other: 3%

for the 71 out of 100 of you, which conti? and why? that is, why conti? i've got nothing against conti, but when i look at the raw function and utility of what's out there for sale, i don't understand the lop-sidedness and i need it explained to me.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: You tire choice: explain this [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would (hazard) guess that the GP4ks (2) is the most widely used tire. It gets good reviews (on here among other places) as a fast and fairly durable tire. It doesn't hurt that you can buy them online for under $30 pretty regularly. Beyond that, the SuperSonic is pretty much THE race tire for those who want (one of) the fastest clinchers. Then I'd guess (in what I see locally at least) for the "sky is falling" folk, you see a lot more gatorskins than you do armadillo's /etc.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: leegoocrap: Jan 18, 17 7:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me Continental has a proven track record. I run elcheapo grand prix clinchers on my training wheels and tubular competitions on my race wheels. I realize it is a major crr faux pas but I like them, Im fast on them and they more than likely will get me to the finish line without flatting on the crappy roads I race on around here.
At some point you have to quit stressing ad nauseam about the minutiae and put your head down and ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a middle of the pack guy and went with the Conti GP4k's based on reviews from ST. I've stuck with them b/c they are reasonably fast, affordable, and I have yet to flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
attack/force and/or GP4KS 2 depending on the price/availability and because of the current data that they're decent in aero/rolling resistance.
Last edited by: flyrunride: Jan 18, 17 7:53
Quote Reply
Re: You tire choice: explain this [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
I'm a middle of the pack guy and went with the Conti GP4k's based on reviews from ST. I've stuck with them b/c they are reasonably fast, affordable, and I have yet to flat.

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because most people are on clinchers and Conti has the best range of low Crr low CdA out there.

Most of your tub users will likely be on Vittoria.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,

Your survey's tend to be a bit skewed, based on the profile of a typical Slowtwitch forum user! :)

But that being said, I agree with the previous poster - Conti GP4000 2 S's rule because, they are readily available everywhere - EVERY bike shop I go into, they are there. The tire scores very highly (not the absolute best), but on all those key tire metrics. The price you can find them at online - is VERY good. It's now being sourced OEM on mid to high-end bikes. And so on.

Yes there are other great tires. I've read that the new Michelin Power Competition may be as good as the venerable Conti GP 40002 S's in all those key tire metrics. I have a pair (of the new Michelins) sitting here waiting to be put on for spring outdoor riding.

We've been riding the Conti GP 40002 S's for years now on all our wheel-sets. It feels great on the road. Goes on/off the wheel-sets we have reasonably easy. Despite many calling this a "race tire", we regularly pound out rides on gravel and shitty pavement, and we only get the occasional puncture - on average 1 - 3 on-the-road-mid-ride flats a year between two riders, putting in modest to big miles!

In short - its a great tire!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'd agree that it's a combo of cost, availability, and reputation. Zipp and Michelin tend to be higher priced than Conti, especially for the "good enough to race and train" crowd. If you are an LBS shopper, picking up tires and tubes added on to other bigger purchases, Specialized and Bontrager (in particular) are clearly biased to certain shops (typically non-tri-specific shops to boot). Schwalbe just isn't as prevalent. And Vittoria definitely suffers in reputation versus Conti, although (therefore?) you can always find them inexpensively somewhere. ETA: ...for clinchers. :)
Last edited by: Koz: Jan 18, 17 7:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
650c wheels

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: You tire choice: explain this [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Your survey's tend to be a bit skewed, based on the profile of a typical Slowtwitch forum user! :)

Yeah, I think this particular poll is a good illustration of the st "echo chamber". The 4000S II has received sustained high praise here over the years and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the default tire for this particular community. It is the tire that I have settled on after being a long time Michelin fan. There are other tires I want to try but if I don't have the time/inclination to really think about my next tire choice, the 4000S II is a no-brainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From an LBS standpoint Conti's distribution channel is pretty easy to navigate and offers very competitive margins. As a consequence the tire wall is frequented by Conti.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised it's quite that skewed, but then again I'm one of the 71% and to echo above, have found Conti to tick the right boxes.

At the risk of over-analyzing my purchasing decisions, I'd say they have a good clear line of products that perform well across the board. Personally I use GP 4 Seasons for winter riding, GP4000S IIs for summer riding and Grand Prix TTs for races and have been very happy with all three. I used Schwalbe for a couple of seasons prior and after having to bin three Ultremo ZXs well before they were worn out due to split sidewalls I'd had enough and jumped ship to Conti.

I'm intrigued by Specialized's offerings so I might give them a try soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run the GP 4k2/Force, primarily because I have a Flo wheelset developed around that tire. Similarly, based on the Specialized white paper floating around these boards, I'd change to the Spesh Turbo Cotton if I happened to land a Roval wheel-set.

In both cases, the wheel manufacturer is telling us the tire with the best blend of Cda and Crr for their wheels.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: You tire choice: explain this [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me Continental has a proven track record. I run elcheapo grand prix clinchers on my training wheels and tubular competitions on my race wheels. I realize it is a major crr faux pas but I like them, Im fast on them and they more than likely will get me to the finish line without flatting on the crappy roads I race on around here.
At some point you have to quit stressing ad nauseam about the minutiae and put your head down and ride.
-----------------------------
+1 on all counts

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: You tire choice: explain this [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:

Ditto. My usual modus operandi is to put brand new GP4Ks on for an IM, and then ride them for training for the entire next year, until the next race...they are very durable and reasonably flat resistant. I can usually recycle the front tire into a trainer tire after all that as well.

Quote | Reply
"I've read that the new Michelin Power Competition may be as good as the venerable Conti GP 40002 S's in all those key tire metrics."

no. the michelin is better. it's the same in weight and puncture resistance, and it rolls a few watts faster (2 to 4 per pair) depending on speed. and the turbo cotton is better yet. but then there's aerodynamics, and i don't have good data on all these tires. i hear the 4000II S makes up for some of its Crr deficit with its aerodynamics but i haven't seen aero data on all the tires that outroll the 4000II S. i was reading tom anhalt's blog posts last night on his time at the specialized tunnel and it seems the turbo cottons are pretty good aerodynamically as well.

which is why i'm asking, because i have nothing against conti, i just think the market share is quite imbalanced based on the actual demonstrated function of these tires.

i did already recognize the two nice things about the conti and the answers here are bearing out my preconceptions: price and the ability to easily obtain them. still, on balance, if i didn't mind spending a few extra dollars per tire, and if performance was my metric, i honestly don't know that i'd choose the 4000S II.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GP4000S 2 user here: I'll echo what has been said above (relatively fast, not expensive, good longevity), and add an anecdote.

Three times in the last calendar year I've had a nail or tack get stuck in the tire. In all cases the object was large enough that I heard it hitting the ground each tire revolution. In all cases I was able to get off the bike, pull the object out, and the protection strip had stopped the object from piercing the tube.

I've ridden faster tires, but nothing with this level of puncture protection and still pretty fast. And apparently, getting a flat tire is a reasonably high risk proposition, at least in my risk assessment.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Re: You tire choice: explain this [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The 4000S II has received sustained high praise here over the years and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the default tire for this particular community."

i agree. at the risk of upsetting the apple cart, can i suggest that this sustained high praise has occurred because this tire is now well into its 4th year, and when it first arrived it was the top of the heap. in the 3+ years intervening specialized, hutchinson, vittoria, michelin, even schwalbe have come out with tires that equal or beat this tire and not many people have noticed.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More of the what's already been said here. When it came time for me to buy new "race" tires, the GP 4000 S II was on sale for $30. Given the positive plugs in this forum, I bought a pair. I'll see how they compare to the Michelin Pro Race tires that I've used in the past.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: You tire choice: explain this [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then I'd guess (in what I see locally at least) for the "sky is falling" folk, you see a lot more gatorskins than you do armadillo's /etc.

The popularity of these tires always amazes me. I don't doubt that they are more durable. However, as noted in a previous post we ride the heck out of Conti GP40002S's and get on average 1 - 3 on-the-road-during-a-ride flats a year.

For a WAAAY better ride than the gatorskins/armadillos that is a small price/inconvenience to pay.

I can change a clincher flat in 2 mins or less . . and we are on our way!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jan 18, 17 8:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, there are a couple of likely reasons:

1. Continental are available everywhere
2. Continental make lots of different tyres that appeal to different preferences, low RR, puncture resistance, all-rounder.
3. The GP4000S II is probably not the best for RR, puncture resistance or aero, but pretty good at everything. So it's where a lot of people settle.

Since such a large majority went for Continental in that poll, I'd say a second one is warranted to get a breakdown of which Continental tyres people are using.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GP 4's. Cheap and decently quick.

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Jan 18, 17 8:31
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"The 4000S II has received sustained high praise here over the years and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the default tire for this particular community."

i agree. at the risk of upsetting the apple cart, can i suggest that this sustained high praise has occurred because this tire is now well into its 4th year, and when it first arrived it was the top of the heap. in the 3+ years intervening specialized, hutchinson, vittoria, michelin, even schwalbe have come out with tires that equal or beat this tire and not many people have noticed.

Same as what everyone else said, and with regards to the bolded section above, while those tires -may- be as good, they certainly don't have the same amount of real world data/reviews to back it up yet. So many of us on here have had years of good experiences with the Conti GP4000 that there is little reason to change and risk having an issue.
Knock on wood, 2 seasons of races on GP4000's w/latex and not a single flat, and I don't feel like they've slowed me down. :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next