Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

You guys made me buy a new bike!
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to say how much I love this forum. Man! This place is hopping! As I mentioned in a thread the other day, I'm finally back on the bike after almost 10 years of being out-of-commission due to illness.

I've been riding my Softride Rocketwing and using it for both time-trial training and as a road bike. But from the info I've read here, I realize that the dual-purpose idea isn't really going to work for me and that I need separate time-trial and road bikes. So I'm setting up my Rocketwing with a much more aggressive posture and dedicating it to time-trial use and I just ordered a new road bike for my other riding - a Trek Madone 5.2 with Campy Chorus and a compact crankset.

I'll still use my Rocketwing for riding along the San Diego coast and other fairly flat solo rides. But the Trek will be my climbing/riding-in-a-group bike. Man! I'm excited!

Actually, the best part is that I've regained my wellness and fitness enough to warrant buying another bike and to finally once again be a "serious' bike rider... (Who says 50 is too old?!)

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: You guys made me buy a new bike! [jshelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

post a photo
Quote Reply
Re: You guys made me buy a new bike! [jern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]

post a photo[/reply]

Be VERY careful about the background of the shot.........you WILL be hosed.....

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on getting your health back and acquiring the new bike.

What group rides are you going on?

I second the pic..that way you can show the forum how sweet your new steed is. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(Who says 50 is too old?!)

What are you talking about, young fella?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I just ordered a new road bike for my other riding - a Trek Madone 5.2 with Campy Chorus and a compact crankset."

let's see now, from reading THIS FORUM you decided to buy a trek. and a madone no less. will somebody please forward this to the trek people? i've got a coupla ad spaces just came up, they need a home.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to emphasize I ORDERED the bike but it'll be 6 weeks before I get it. So i can't put up a pic until then.

It's a candy-apple red frame with silver decals...

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mmmm...candy apple red.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: You guys made me buy a new bike! [The Lemming] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not doing any group rides right now but will be looking to at some point... I may participate in Team-In-Training. I have some good friends who ride with them all the time.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: You guys made me buy a new bike! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"will somebody please forward this to the trek people? "

Dan, I know one that lurks here often. He might even read this thread.

Now if you can just give Javelin their props.

;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little clarity... This forum helped convince me that I needed separate time-trial and road bikes, not necessarily a Trek Madone...

I just really liked the fit, ride and handling of the Madone. I thought the ride would be harsh but it is quite comfortable. I have a long torso and it felt perfect for me.

I also considered the Cervelo, Specialized Roubaix, Titanflex, Litespeed.

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"A little clarity... [blah blah]"

no back-fucking-tracking. you bought a trek madone as a direct result of this forum. i think we should just leave it at that, esp if there are really trek people reading this.

if you want to add that this forum made you buy TWO top caliber bikes instead of just having ONE top caliber bike, then i think that's also a positive message everyone should take to heart.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek World is next month. I'll print out a copy and take it with me. It's in the bag Dan.

"....No longer easy on the eyes but these wrinkles masterfully dusguise the youthful boy below."~Death Cab for Cutie

http://www.a1cyclery.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't be rude Dan... and don't twist my words.

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just one question, did you buy it from Trek SD (O'Side or Kearny Mesa)?
Quote Reply
Re: You guys made me buy a new bike! [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek La Mesa

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check -

good crew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They were great. Frankly I wasn't even considering a Madone because I assumed it would be too harsh. I was thinking of the Pilot or Specialized Roubaix but they encouraged me to try the Madone and I loved the feel right away.

Matt also sold me a hybrid last November (i.e. 120 lbs ago!) when I was just looking for somehitng to get me started back into riding.

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was considering a 5.9 SL madone from the Kearny store, but I am dropping WAY too much into powermeters this year and I am skipping getting another road bike

I used to race NORBA XC for Bike USA out of the La Mesa store back in '99-01

memories ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power meter sounds like a great investment. Someday I might have to give that a spin. I tried out the La Mesa store's Cyclops with a Powertap during their "Outpower Lance" contest. Dang if I didn't win the thing! Lance hits 760 watts in the 30-second peak power test and I hit 713.

My Polar S725 supports a power set up but I don't really want to hang all the extra stuff on the bike or pay the extra $350. Being on disability I had a hard enough time justifying a new bike!

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Don't be rude Dan... and don't twist my words.[/reply]
umm, i think he's kidding. mostly :-)

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Polar powermeter, a Powertap Pro and two SRM dura ace systems on order

The PT pro would be my reccomendation
Quote Reply
Re: You guys made me buy a new bike! [miater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK.. I hope so... I don't know him personally so it's awful hard to tell in this type of media.

For now I'll assume he was!

Thanks for the feedback...

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, it was a joke. Read the "Why did Cervelo lie to me" thread, and you'll get it.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply