Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
You get an Alphafly... You get an Alphafly... at least if you’re running the US Trials.
Quote | Reply
https://www.runnersworld.com/...pic-marathon-trials/

Brilliant move by Nike, just give everyone a pair who wants them. Hard to complain about not being able to run in them, on twitter, after the trials.
Quote Reply
Re: You get an Alphafly... You get an Alphafly... at least if you’re running the US Trials. [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw rumors about this and pretty comical that it's actually happening now. Going to make a lot of people upset but it's a hilarious move. Nice for all the unsponsored runners out there though! They'd be crazy not to run in them.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: You get an Alphafly... You get an Alphafly... at least if you’re running the US Trials. [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least one professional runner ended a cash paying contract <24 days ago with [redacted] & bought a pair of Next % bc the company doesn't have a shoe.

Guess they could have saved $250.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: You get an Alphafly... You get an Alphafly... at least if you’re running the US Trials. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heck. They could snag those Alphafly's and unless Nike is including some stipulation where you can't sell them, immediately turn around and sell them for $500+ probably. Win win.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So have we yet seen any on ebay?? Great way to make a buck, especially for pros sponsored by other companies

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brilliant! Love it lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you a professional, contracted runner? Do you have the funds to buy a can of Rustoleum? If so, you're in luck! Just spray paint your new Nikes and say it's a prototype shoe and then never talk about it again
Quote Reply
Re: You get an Alphafly... You get an Alphafly... at least if you’re running the US Trials. [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Saw rumors about this and pretty comical that it's actually happening now. Going to make a lot of people upset but it's a hilarious move. Nice for all the unsponsored runners out there though! They'd be crazy not to run in them.

It’s brilliant they could have 80 plus percent of the field in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grantbot21 wrote:
https://www.runnersworld.com/gear/a31120801/nike-alphafly-at-us-olympic-marathon-trials/

Brilliant move by Nike, just give everyone a pair who wants them. Hard to complain about not being able to run in them, on twitter, after the trials.

Genius move
Quote Reply
Re: You get an Alphafly... You get an Alphafly... at least if you’re running the US Trials. [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Grantbot21 wrote:
https://www.runnersworld.com/gear/a31120801/nike-alphafly-at-us-olympic-marathon-trials/

Genius move

Yes this is checkmate for Nike. Brilliant move.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s the same thing that Speedo did back in ‘08 at US Trials with the LZR. Anyone who wanted one could swim in one.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: You get an Alphafly... You get an Alphafly... at least if you’re running the US Trials. [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
Are you a professional, contracted runner? Do you have the funds to buy a can of Rustoleum? If so, you're in luck! Just spray paint your new Nikes and say it's a prototype shoe and then never talk about it again

Just as some pro road teams re-badge wheels and tyres - and previously even TT bikes when they didn't have their own TT frames.
Unpick the swoosh and glue on the sponsor's logo. Sorted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this in fact true, and materializes ... If I was a Nike sponsored athlete, I would not be happy that my sponsor and employer is potentially giving away an advantage I may have.

On another note: Some Nike athletes are actually choosing to run in the Next% because they feel it's lighter and is a better shoe for them

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a aero helmet company in Kona one year that did exactly this. Because the Kona count ends up being a marketing bonanza for a lot of products, they just figured we will give a free helmet to anyone that agrees to wear it in the race. Seemed to work out pretty well for them as I recall, forget the company though.

In reality, probably not going to stack the field too much more, have to imagine that anyone without a contract were already in Nike's for the race, and those with other contracts, would be locked in pretty much. Does give them all a new free pair though, and the real benefit is the marketing they are getting from the stunk. Hell, we have a whole thread on it here already!!!
Quote Reply
Re: You get an Alphafly... You get an Alphafly... at least if you’re running the US Trials. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how much thought an athlete like Des Linden or Jared Ward would think about not running in the shoe company they have a contract with to gain any little advantage? Anyone think someone will pull a Crowie and wear a blacked out pair?

Monty, I have to believe you're joking about not knowing the company that pulled that helmet stunt at Kona. I think it is one that routinely tests pretty poorly when it comes to aero testing.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: You get an Alphafly... You get an Alphafly... at least if you’re running the US Trials. [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty, I have to believe you're joking about not knowing the company that pulled that helmet stunt at Kona.//

Ha ha Nate!! Just wait until you are in your mid 60's, and the constant memory dumps you have to do, just so you can find your car keys that day!! So enlighten us, I think I do recall it worked, and they were the number 1 helmet worn that year. But I was long out of the game by then, and just didnt pay that much attention to all the aero tests back them. As I recall, they were all pretty much bunk, coming up with numbers that just were not real. I get it has gotten better, but when the number crunchers come up with some drag # that says you are going to save 8 to 11 minutes in an ironman, and just from their helmet, then I have to call bullshit. Hopefully todays numbers are more like a minute or two, something that actually might be true!!
Quote Reply
Re: You get an Alphafly... You get an Alphafly... at least if you’re running the US Trials. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a bit rude there...
Quote Reply
Re: You get an Alphafly... You get an Alphafly... at least if you’re running the US Trials. [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
a bit rude there...

He’s a project, someone needs to take him under his wing.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: You get an Alphafly... You get an Alphafly... at least if you’re running the US Trials. [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a bit rude there...//

Nate and I go back aways, so I think we are good here. Like they say down under, just taking the piss out of em!!
Quote Reply
Re: You get an Alphafly... You get an Alphafly... at least if you’re running the US Trials. [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
Grantbot21 wrote:

Genius move

Yes this is checkmate for Nike. Brilliant move.

Is it though? No doubt we'll see a lot of people running in them and I doubt Nike will choose a subtle colour so they are bound to stand out. But these people would be running in shoes just handed to them. I am sure they are great shoes but if anything like a few hundred people run in a brand new shoe over a competitive marathon there will be problems. How many blisters will there be? How many people pull up injured anyway just this time they have new shoes to blame it on. Is there zero possibility that several bad luck stories look bad when seen together and voiced by disappointed athletes? I always thought 'nothing new on race day' was the golden rule. Surely there is some risk here, isn't there?

I've said it before but if Nike can not only make the fastest shoe but one that works universally and doesn't need a breaking in/getting used to period then it's genuinely astounding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rudy Project. They are currently running a sale.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
a bit rude there...//

Nate and I go back aways, so I think we are good here. Like they say down under, just taking the piss out of em!!

The wingspan of that joke helped it go way over your head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wingspan of that joke helped it go way over your head.//

Doh!!! And I was looking so hard in the response where I had been rude, even copped to it!! I'm like Grandpa on the Simpsons, but at least I finally get it!! You guys just connected a couple 100 more synapses in my brain, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: You get an Alphafly... You get an Alphafly... at least if you’re running the US Trials. [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
If this in fact true, and materializes ... If I was a Nike sponsored athlete, I would not be happy that my sponsor and employer is potentially giving away an advantage I may have.

On another note: Some Nike athletes are actually choosing to run in the Next% because they feel it's lighter and is a better shoe for them

My guess is the people that will be running in them because they are free, aren’t really a threat to the Nike athletes. I’m also guessing the new shoes aren’t a huge jump over the next% and if that’s the case it’s not a big difference if they have them or not. The unsponsered athletes will be probablybrunning in the next%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of people at trials who are sponsored, they won't be going for the shoes. There are a lot of people at trials who are not sponsored and they will definitely go snag a pair.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next