Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK) --Inside Tri article
Quote | Reply
http://www.insidetriathlon.com/...news.asp?item=111484

Excellent article by Jeff Henderson (heya dude!)

Read and discuss.

I happen to agree with Jeff. Speaking from personal experience, my first three attempts at an IM (2 DNF, 1 finish near the cutoff) I was way under-prepared. And when I started up with my coach, he told me so in no uncertain terms (his actual comment... "not nearly the un-fittest person I’ve ever worked with")

I'm seeing the same thing (jumping into long distance racing too early) in at least one of the people who comes to my swim workout. A very slow swimmer, but getting faster, has maybe done one sprint tri, but signed up for IM AZ (November) for some crazy reason. The goal will be to make the 2:20 cutoff. On Monday, there was some whining about doing another set (we are only in the pool one hour) and the comment was made, "Well, I'll have a wetsuit on." Oy.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK) --Inside Tri article [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On Monday, there was some whining about doing another set (we are only in the pool one hour) and the comment was made, "Well, I'll have a wetsuit on." Oy.

but if you blast said person whose only goal is to just make each cutoff , just finish in 15 no 14 no 13 no 12 no 11 hours etc where does it end. just wish em good luck and hope they dont get hurt

ken
trying to act like a runner
Quote Reply
Re: You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK) --Inside Tri article [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a lot of truth in the article. It is the rookie swimmers that terrify me in particular. Many don’t have a clue.
----------

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree with what the author states. Personally, I think that I jumped into an Ironman too soon as well, but I finished. I think it is crazy when people do there first ever tri at the iron or even 1/2 iron distance.

The first race that I ever did was in October 2004. I graduated from college in May and trained all Summer to compete in an end of season Sprint Tri. I did well, and I was way over trained for the distance. Then the next year I moved up to a few Sprints and Olympics. Year 3 of racing I trained for a 1/2 Iron but wasnt able to race, and then this year I did IMLP. I tried to step up slowly but it was too fast. My body paid for it, esp on race day. I cramped like crazy and walked 1/2 of the marathon. Oh well, live and learn; my next crack at an ironman will be better but Im going to comcentrate on some shorter stuff for a bit.

Not to discredit coaches and books but I think that people get this motivation to "go long" before they are ready. Its hard to police this though, like the author said, he still gets the checks.

-This doesnt go for everyone, I know there are tons of people who do race long distances very early and do well, but it seems the masses are in this to go long and get out and thats not the way it should be.

Matt
Race-Ready Endurance Training
Team BIKEWAY.com
NYPD Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This article should be required reading for newbies. I was scared to do a sprint triathlon when I first started (I even did a practice one on my own before the race) so I have a hard time relating to people who jump in with their eyes closed. The first year I did Wildflower we drove down for a spring training camp to check out the course and happened to be there at the same time as Team in Training was doing a camp there. I couldn't believe my eyes, there were groups of people on comfort bikes and mountain bikes out riding those hilly roads to train for the race. I didn't even attempt Wildflower until I had been doing triathlons for 3 years and had a triathlon bike and knew what I was getting into. Since then I've seen people riding mountain bikes on 1/2 Ironman courses and more power to those people but it does put the race director at risk when people are out on a course much longer than what is expected.
Quote Reply
Re: You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK) --Inside Tri article [cooterbob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There is a lot of truth in the article. It is the rookie swimmers that terrify me in particular. Many don’t have a clue.
----------

Very true. I'm always surprised to hear about people who COULD NOT swim as kids, stayed away from water for 2 decades, then enter a long race. There's a world of difference between a novice and a just slow (me- I suck, but could swim at my poor-technique pace for hours if need be) swimmer.

Even after a lifetime of being physically active, then having a bad year and a half, my 1st HIM was a real shock. I thought I was a lot mentally tougher than that, but those last 6 miles of the run were horrible (excuse me, pathetic shuffle just barely better than a walk). That's what I wish the complete novice could know about beforehand- not to scare them away, but so they know its out there, is surmountable, and they will be much better the next time they do that distance.

Cathy, didn't know it took you 3 times to finish- that's good stuff, and speaks a lot about your determination. That made your whole life better, didn't it?

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run across the Sahara. Bag Of Burgers for $1. Much of America might be sufficiently prepared for the latter, but very few are ready for the former.

LOL! That was the best line of the story.

People just have no idea how hard even a half can be. Throw in wind, hills and/or hot weather and it becomes ridiculous. I had a fellow Marine who came back from Half-Vineman shocked at how many people passed her on the bike. I asked her how much she had been riding prior to the race and she said, "I rode it at least three or four times." I kid you not. And we are not talking about a female who is not fit. Female Marines doing a hanging test and male Marines do pull-ups, but she can max out the 20 pull-ups required of the men.

Ironman has buzz and it doesn't matter if you finish it in 9 hours or 17, saying you finished will gain you some props at the office. In fact, 99 percent of the population would not even know if 9 hours was a decent time.

Every time I come back from a five or six hour ride I think to myself, "Do you want to run a marathon now?" He!!!!!, NO!
Chad
A happy un-Ironman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cathy,

Thanks for the link.

I agree whole heartedly with the learned Mr Henderson.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK) --Inside Tri article [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Cathy, didn't know it took you 3 times to finish- that's good stuff, and speaks a lot about your determination. That made your whole life better, didn't it? <<

Determination is my middle name! (Or stupidity). ha

Yeah, #1 attempt, DNF
#2, DNF
#3, finish in 16:50

Scott told me once, finishing an IM is never a given. That's for sure.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the author even do the race directing for any actual IRONMAN races?

Nice to see he spent months replying to emails about cutoffs, too bad he didn't bother to reply to any of the emails sent to him asking that he include Clydesdale and Athenas at last years race lol
Quote Reply
Re: You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK) --Inside Tri article [drdivot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>but if you blast said person whose only goal is to just make each cutoff , just finish in 15 no 14 no 13 no 12 no 11 hours etc where does it end. just wish em good luck and hope they dont get hurt <<

Actually, I did gently blast him. Hey--if he's coming to my swim workout, then do the workout. If you just want to swim a few laps, the open swimming lanes are over there.

I also explained to him that just finishing the swim is fine, but what you want is to finish the swim AND FEEL GOOD to take on the rest of the very long day! Coming out of the swim and beating the cutoff, but feeling beat does not set you up well for the bike or the run.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK) --Inside Tri article [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I remember when I signed up for IMWA, they had a requirement for all Aussies who wanted to register to have completed at least ONE sanctioned race. I actually snorted a bit when I read that, I just *assumed* that no one would sign up for an iron-distance race without having done at least one tri, or realistically, a few full seasons of racing. My BF is getting into tris, and he wants to do an IM one day, so he's asked my opinion on how to get there. I told him to spend a year doing sprints and olympics first to see if he actually *liked* the damn sport... then we can talk about IM.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, I have to say that was a great article. Second, I applaud your determination. You are truly an Iron(wo)man!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, maybe I should find something else to do next September. I'm pretty good at Badminton.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Last edited by: Katy: Dec 5, 07 15:31
Quote Reply
Re: You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK) --Inside Tri article [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will be prepared. I know LOTS of nice long rides and runs. And, where to find you.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neil tortures me because I pay him to. You do it for the entertainment value.

Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK) --Inside Tri article [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh silly wrabbit... you'll do just fine, probably better than fine actually. Yer a smartipants and you'll be intelligent about your training and your race day.
Just remember there are lots of folks who are here to give you a kick in the BUTT when you need it... ;-) AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK) --Inside Tri article [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell him to quit being a puss and sign up for Lanzarote already.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Neil tortures me because I pay him to. You do it for the entertainment value.[/reply]

I'll take money too.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK) --Inside Tri article [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put this on my Christmas list:

I will say, to get back OT, going from short course to long was much harder than I realized it would be. My quads were like concrete by mile 11 of the run. Now I'm going to make them do twice as much!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amen Cath! I totally agree with Mr. Henderson. You would not believe the sheer numbers of "never done a tri before" that have signed up for the 70.3 here in Boise. It makes me shudder. I'm gonna swim a hell of alot faster to get ahead of these folks, and out on the bike ahead of them. There is going to be some serious carnage out there in June, and if it gets really f'n hot like it can here in June, really fugly.

Sue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree, it's about respect for the distance whether it's a 300m pool swim or 2.4 miles. The people that don't have a little fear of it probably are more than a little clueless. You on the other hand have a healthy dose of respect, a high tolerance for pain and a bad memory, perfect qualities for this sport.

Jim_n_La
...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but only until it kills you - Cousin Elwood
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find your endorsement of the sentiments expressed by the author to be disingenuous.

I can understand that you were naive at first and didn't have what it takes or understood what it takes, hence the DNFs early in your career. Fine. But 5 DNFs in your first 6 IMs, not to mention a few DNFs since in ultra distance running.

Come on. You are exactly the person that this guy is talking about. Seriously, get off your high horse regarding the person in your swim program. I am not espousing not training, or that people should enter races for which they are woefully unprepared. Perhaps a more thoughtful approach to this person would benefit the sport rather than your holier than though attitude that you seem to display so often.
Quote Reply
Re: You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK) --Inside Tri article [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude that's MY race (I get to do it first) - just kidding - but damn that would be a sweet race to do.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those heels look like they might hurt!

It's so true - I remember that first 1/2IM race I did, I foolishly signed up for an Oly two weeks later, thinking bah it's only any oly, I do those all the time. Well, I was still pretty beat up from the long course race.

That said, I think I like the long course stuff better because I am just not that fast but can go forever... but I would be loathe to attempt even a 1/2 right now, I know how bad it can hurt when not adequately trained.

------------------------
Quote Reply

Prev Next