Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug
Quote | Reply
Seriously. Go outside and have a picnic. Do something outside that's not biking or running. Hug your kids. Kiss your wife. Eat something other than a gel. Wear a watch that doesn't have a GPS on it. Go to a pool and, instead of intervals, float on a raft.

If you are a pro triathlete and your livelihood depends on racing, by all means, continue to lose your shit. The rest of us? Relax.

Ironman is whatever you want it to be. The problem exists when we make it more than it should be. I've got news for you. Someone who can finish 110 on a bike and 25.8 on the run, is not going to DNF at 112 and 26.2. They are an IM.

If you are that into the sport, you know what the tough courses are. You know what the real records are. You know who the best is. And, no, someone else's 16:59 finish in a draft fast, using a wetsuit, while eating EPO at the aid stations does not cheapen your KQ on a course with 30,000 feet of elevation between the bike and run, and a non-wetsuit swim in shark-infested water.

The "real" triathletes know to show you the proper respect and you know what you accomplished.

Me? I have a 13:45 IM to my name (which includes 30+ minutes of transition because I was chatting it up). It was a flat course that my GPS measured just over 111 on the bike and just under 26 on the run. Guess what, I still consider that an IM finish. You can laugh at it. You can mock me. You can say I'm slow. You can say it's not valid. I don't care. I raced clean. I didn't draft and I finished the course as it was set up that day. FWIW, I didn't choose it because it was a flat course, I choose it because it was local to me. I know I could've run about an hour faster but it was hotter than I expected and I took no chances that I'd somehow DNF because I'd put my family through a lot to get there and we all deserved the finish.

My journey to IM was rough. It included a DNF in a HIM due to calf cramping during the swim and a missed swim cut-off at the inaugural Challenge AC (where the swim course was brutal and the current worse). My family made numerous sacrifices and I did the training while being at the top of my career and working 60 hours many weeks.

Only I know what it meant to me and my family to cross the IM finish line. However, I do not have an M-Dot tattoo and, although I own a few pieces of IM gear, I only routinely wear the running hat because, well, it's my only running hat.

If IM has become a gigantic part of your life (and you're not a pro or legitimate aspiring pro) I'd recommend you dedicate yourself to a year of racing smaller and with the BOP. If you do this, you might remind yourself about the beauty of triathlon. You might remind yourself that triathlon has changed people's lives. You might realize that the average person is drafting or riding left because they just don't know any better. You might remember that triathlon is fun. You might meet someone like me, learn my story, and get less angry when a course is a mile short.

Most importantly, you will learn that many people graduate to IM from smaller races where there are no moto officials, there are competitors who wear sleeved wetsuits for 200yd pool swims, and the RDs are selling an experience and not a competition. What else do you expect from these competitors who graduate to IM after growing up like this?

Can IM do better? Sure. But, the reality of the sport is that it doesn't exist for the pros or KQers. Now, before you lose your shit over that statement, you should also realize the NFL doesn't exist for Tom Brady and the NBA doesn't exist for LeBron James. They exist for the millions of fans who pay millions of dollars to watch and buy merchandise. Similarly, triathlon exists for the people who make RDs money and those are the people who are just there for "the day" or to get Facebook material.

Don't misunderstand me, I have much respect for you FOPers and old-school warriors who built the sport. It's just that I understand it's not your sport anymore. Many others have entered the club. Don't be dismayed by that. Recognize that change is inevitable or you are going to be miserable.

Rest assured, though, I have a hug for you. You'll just need to go a whole lot slower so I can catch you.
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like a hug....

It has nothing to do with whatever you posted...I read the first 2 or 3 sentences and then the last one...but I would like a hug if you are offering. With a slight bit of a butt grab - from you to me. Just a small squeeze. light. Just enough to know that you care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a roadie with no interest in IM whatsoever, but I like freaking out just to keep things interesting.

I'll take the hug offer, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get off my lawn.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Applause

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd rather have a beer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You offering reacharounds with that hug, too?

I didn't read your post, sorry. Too many words.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:

Me? I have a 13:45 IM to my name (which includes 30+ minutes of transition because I was chatting it up). It was a flat course that my GPS measured just over 111 on the bike and just under 26 on the run. Guess what, I still consider that an IM finish. You can laugh at it. You can mock me. You can say I'm slow. You can say it's not valid. I don't care. I raced clean. I didn't draft and I finished the course as it was set up that day. FWIW, I didn't choose it because it was a flat course, I choose it because it was local to me. I know I could've run about an hour faster but it was hotter than I expected and I took no chances that I'd somehow DNF because I'd put my family through a lot to get there and we all deserved the finish.

My journey to IM was rough. It included a DNF in a HIM due to calf cramping during the swim and a missed swim cut-off at the inaugural Challenge AC (where the swim course was brutal and the current worse). My family made numerous sacrifices and I did the training while being at the top of my career and working 60 hours many weeks.

So you went a 13:45 but you could have been faster, the journey was tough and you made a lot of sacrifices.

Ahhh, do you need a hug?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't read a more reasonable post on LR in a while. Well said. As for the hug, are you a hottie? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Me? I have a 13:45 IM to my name (which includes 30+ minutes of transition because I was chatting it up).

so you don't take this seriously so neither should the rest of us age groupers? some of us make sacrifices for this lifestyle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A medal and a trophy for everybody! We are all Ironmen in our hearts.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read the first sentence...then noticed how long your post actually is...and irony kicked in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So true.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep agree we all enjoy different things and putting in a bit of extra effort to enjoy a better result might appear to others that i take it too seriously but that's what I enjoy.
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You offering reacharounds with that hug, too?

I didn't read your post, sorry. Too many words.

Leave it to the swimmer to assume every man-hug comes with a reacharound. Bro, I've tried to tell you hundreds of times...things are different in non-swimmer locker rooms.

Still love you, though. You've given me great tips. Swimming tips (just to be clear the "tip" we're talking about).
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
DJRed wrote:

So you went a 13:45 but you could have been faster, the journey was tough and you made a lot of sacrifices.

Ahhh, do you need a hug?

You should get a TT bike and draft someone to catch up to the point. The point is I way underperformed my ability. I rode 20 bpm under my target HR (on a roadbike nonetheless), and ran 35 bpm under my target HR, and I still consider the day a wild success.

There was much more to the day than my time and I enjoyed every minute of it. No hug necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
Read the first sentence...then noticed how long your post actually is...and irony kicked in.

Fair point.
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
DJRed wrote:

Me? I have a 13:45 IM to my name (which includes 30+ minutes of transition because I was chatting it up).

so you don't take this seriously so neither should the rest of us age groupers? some of us make sacrifices for this lifestyle

Didn't say that at all.

The last sprint I did, I had the faster T1 and second fastest T2. I am serious. But, for me, that day was about more.

Continue to make sacrifices for the lifestyle. That's your choice. God bless. In five years, we can reconvene and see if IM looks more like what you want or the way I think it's going.

All I'm saying is recognize going in that most people there are not you, you should not expect them to behave like you, and IM has no incentive to make them try to be like you.
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
Haven't read a more reasonable post on LR in a while. Well said. As for the hug, are you a hottie? :-)

Isn't everyone a hottie on the internet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Seriously. Go outside and have a picnic. Do something outside that's not biking or running. Hug your kids. Kiss your wife. Eat something other than a gel. Wear a watch that doesn't have a GPS on it. Go to a pool and, instead of intervals, float on a raft.

If you are a pro triathlete and your livelihood depends on racing, by all means, continue to lose your shit. The rest of us? Relax.

Ironman is whatever you want it to be. The problem exists when we make it more than it should be.

You could have stopped right there, and the point would have been made very well. I agree with you 100%.

Frustration is just another term for unreasonable expectations. If "Ironman" doesn't conform to someone's specific definition of what they think it should be, that sounds like a personal problem to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
DJRed wrote:

Ahhh, do you need a hug?

You should get a TT bike and draft someone to catch up to the point. The point is I way underperformed my ability. I rode 20 bpm under my target HR (on a roadbike nonetheless), and ran 35 bpm under my target HR, and I still consider the day a wild success.

There was much more to the day than my time and I enjoyed every minute of it. No hug necessary.

You should get a TT bike and draft someone to catch up to the point .......that may be the best line I have read on here in a very long time, I tip my IM cap to you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha totally agree. Maybe people just need an outlet as the has been no crank length on my velotron posting for a while???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sympathize more with the grief over the drafting on the bike as nobody likes a cheater and it’s not especially pleasant to be around people so willing to break the rules for who knows what. It’s one of the reasons I love the local tri scene. A local sprint with a big range of skills but everybody just enjoying the sport. If you win your age group you get a coffee mug and you’re damn proud of it. In WTC events, I’m a MOPer and I’m fine with that. I’ve enjoyed the whole ironman experience. Most of the people and racers have been great. But damn there are some people who take themselves way too seriously. Triathlons are fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post DJRed. Read it all. nothing to add on my end. great post. tip of the cap to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What else do you expect from these competitors who graduate to IM after growing up like this?
Maybe attend the pre-race meeting and actually pay attention :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next