Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buckets of water in transition
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick,

I had those Sock Racer's until a few years ago, ran my fastest IM marathon that day, a 3:12 I think.
No Socks,
no watch,
no hat,
no runs in training over 13 miles.
Just water, Coke, a speedo, a singlet and some Pink and white Oakleys (Blades on the run, Used the Factory Pilots on the bike).

Oh, and 4 or 5 beers with the Budweiser Canada guys at the finishline, beats the heck out of going off to the doping control.

Priceless!
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [TomP_imc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhh the Oakley Razorblades..my all time faves
anyone remember the company that sold kilts for chaing in TZ? Wish I'da bought one of them
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Are you, me, Tricia and QRman (aka slowman) the only ones that still remember RST? <<

Nope, me too! And remember....slowman used to be called qrman?

>>Gotta love Hooksie. Man after my own heart :-) <<

Ah yes he is. I need to get back there and do his race again. And the party after!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your daughter is 19, TriDork? How can that be? She's not even 4 feet tall. Besides, you're barely over 19. If all that is true, I'd better go look in the mirror. Shopping bag and tennis shoes is what I see. Can't be me, of course.

Two notes down you say you just got two new neoprene (of course not lycra) seat covers. I didn't know they were still available. They are perfect and I'll find where to get them and get more.

rtk
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [TomP_imc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott Extreme bars .... I think Welch had those on his softride when he won Kona.

I remember thinking that the J-disk/JDF combo in pink or white was the coolest wheelset ever.

I used to have a sleeveless, front zipp, rough coated wetsuit ..... it kept me warm though and was the easiest one I've ever had to remove :)
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ha!

i rode a Slingshot for quite a while, up until 2 years ago. here's a pic from maybe 10 years back. crazy as it looked, it was a very comfortable ride. too bad the outfit pretty much abandoned road frames. they are hq'd an hour drive from me.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Scott 100K bars
2) Specialized Sub-6 helmets that were truly sub-6 ounces (foam only- no outer plastic)
3) The Original Giro long-tailed aero helmet
4) Modolo Kronos components made of carbon fibre
5) Campy Delta brakes
6) KHS aero turbo frames mades of True Temper aero velo steel tubing (and had the seat tube curving around the rear while LONG before a certain popular tri bike)
7) Huffy road bikes that were high-end (one even made it on the cover of Triathlete magazine)
8) Original white Look pedals, with cleats that had the float adjustment kits
9) funnybikes
10) Raleigh Technium
12) Nishiki was somewhat popular at one time
13) Sun Mistral rims
14) Zipp 3000 tri spokes
15) Specialized tri spokes that were heavy as hell and cost an unspeakable amount of money
16) Sweet Wings cranks and stems (I had both)
17) Cannondale 2.8
18) Tinley wear in flourescent colours
19) That funky-ass behind the seat water bottle system
20) Christophe toe straps- the still-preferred method of carrying spare tubulars; yes, they were on my Campy Record toe-clip pedals.

and one last one:
21) The original Zipp disc that weighed a ton, and it was still lighter than anything Hed had put out at that time

I could probably list 100 weird old retro items from the birth of tri (and before), but I haven't had my morning cuppa yet.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [RogueClimber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano Pedals were LOOK compatable

yes, I had a pair, and I preferred them to the Look models.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
         Hi Tom,you forgot to mention the super-aero haircut you had when you won that day.I hope that you guys are all being honoured at IMC this year.We haven't heard anything about what they are doing for the 25th anninversary yet.It would be great to see all the old IMC champs together.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- Kestrel 4000 - carbon fiber! Mick Taylor rode the first one I ever saw.

-Hamilton Satui bikes with 24" wheels - PNF

- Bikestreams: rubber bladders that you pumped full of fluids. A hose ran from behind the saddle to your handlebars and you bit on the end of the hose to release the fluids. Besides the difficulty in actually pumping up the bladder, the nozzle had a tendency to jam open spraying you with fluids.

- Oakley Factory Pilots - reminded of these every time I look in the mirror. Had a nasty bike crash and face-planted on the pavement. The outline of the Factory Pilot frame is still visible as a scar on my right cheekbone.

- Changing attire between Swim and bike and even bike and run. The first time I saw someone do an entire race in a speedo was a revelation (Rich Brown). Of course, rules didn't require 'covered torso' back then either. Nike came out with a one-piece trisuit and InSport Dave Scott came out with a padded (mini-chamois) speedo and transition times improved dramatically.

- Leppin Squezzies - first gel that I ever used.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a bikestream years ago. They worked great but after a season of use the bladders got pretty nasty. They were the grandparents of the Never reach system :)

Trimble bikes are another retro 80s/90s funky idea.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trimble - forgot about them. There was a pro from London (Ont) that rode one. Rob ??? - red hair. Al - you likely ran against him at University.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano Pedals were LOOK compatable

I had these as well and I kept using them for a number of years after they stopped making them, but unlike Lance Armstrong (Who used the same set up) I did not have Shimano sending me boxes of the discountinued pedals every year :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is actually amazing what a large-sized manufacturer will have lying around after a product is discontinued, especially if a celebrity endorser prefers the product. I can site a few examples of what a manufacturer *could* have lying around; but if I am too public about it, I won't get a crack at future deals.

Lance was one guy, so it is feasible for Shimano to have supplied him with obsolete stock for as long as they did. I imagine there was at least one prototype pedal sent to him yearly along with the Shimano Look pedal. Also, the R&D department could easily remanufacture the pedal...

I got rid of my ShimanOOK pedals when I tried Keywins.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember that guy back around 1990/1991. He was a pretty fast runner. His was the only Trimble that I actually remember seeing "live". I was a rookie in the sport then and thought that a Trimble with a J disk would have been the coolest thing going.

Remember that carbon disk cover that I had. Some small company based in Elmira I think. I can't remeber the name of it but they had a big exclamation mark on the side and would be a nice option to put on some of todays wheels to make them go fast.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [matts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone have pictures or can explain the seat shifters? This is the second time this week that someone mentioned them.

Here you go....Seatshifter, Bikestream hydration bladder dealio, old skool Profile bars with even older skool Grip Shifters, Mavic pedals, and an old Caddy in the background....all just for you.

Michael

Edit: Even way back when I was racing in the Biathlon Series in Southern California I had enough sense to make sure my bike pictures were in the big ring. :-)

Drafting is for the weak...

Tri2Hover...making flat coke since September 9, 2006.
Last edited by: mmakbenton: May 28, 07 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a couple gift certificates for those wheel covers from Elmira. Cannot recall the company name.

What was the name of the magnesium-framed bike that looked vaguely similar to a Trek Y-frame?

- aerolite clipless pedals. Scott Tinley ued these in his pre-aerobar Hawaii assault complete with a Vision Tech-like carbon base bar with significant drop, shoe booties, aero helmet, etc...1985? Didn't he buy a crate full of these pedals after they went out of business?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
was I the only one with fiber flite spokes?
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [mmakbenton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude...love the white Turbo saddle...I wore out more than a couple of those!
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [acronym] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was riding with a friend who was using his front race wheel with fiber flite spokes - a J Disc mylar deep rim. We went around a corner where there was a bit of loose gravel and my tire flipped up a pebble that hit one of his spokes. A very loud snap echoed and, sure enough, the pebble had shattered his spoke. He sent it back to J Disc for repair and, 15 yrs later, is still waiting for the wheel to be returned.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dude...love the white Turbo saddle...I wore out more than a couple of those!

Yeah, those things would wear out and turn grey on top. Of course you could then stick on the self-adhesive neoprene seat pad for riding "steep" that used to be cool.

Also, can't forget to mention wearing anything neon and still being cool.

Michael

Drafting is for the weak...

Tri2Hover...making flat coke since September 9, 2006.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [rtk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ruth,

1) I'm well over 19, although in my minds eye I'm still there. My multitude of past ski and cycling injuries, my arthritis, and my recent heart issues all conspire to remind me daily, of my advancing years.

2) My daugher IS 19 however. So georgeous that I wonder daily what ugly kid her real parents got by mistake. Wonderful kid. Decidedly average in so many ways that she is nearly perfect....if she would just tidy her room :-)

3) QR seat covers are still available! I got some just a couple of weeks ago. The last few times I've got them, the Mr Flitie hasn't been available, so I've had to go with the Mr Softie and cut to fit my saddle, glue and stitch myself. Takes about 30 minutes once you've done it a few times:-) I get mine from either Nytro (a few years ago) or most recently Colorado Cyclist.

4) I still use my original QR twinkletoes too. I have some other brand of whole shoe cover for cold days, but the Twinkletoes are great for early starts on chilly mornings, without causing overheating later in the morning after the sun comes up.

Glad to hear you're still cruising the tri chat scene. Are you still racing?

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can call it racing, yes. I've been doing sprints for the last 7 years, following a bit of calamity. This year I said To hell with calamaties or some such little phrase and I entered nationals. My swimming is just fine, I manage to stay vertical on the bike, and I leave transition 2 in style, that is to say sorta running, and I'll make sure I return that way. No one will know I was hobbling in between. I am in one piece and feeling great, but I had to defy a few odds to do it.

Of course I still use my QR twinkletoes. I went to the QR site to order the seat cover, but the site was really a mess of clever and useless methods for ordering. Invisible writing and such. So I ordered 2 from DeSoto and while I was on his page splurged on 110 buck shorts.

rtk (aka ruth)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick

My brother was sponsored by Headway when they were based in Mona Vale - we must have had 50 helmets around the house at some times - their aero helmet by today's standards - actually rocked!
Quote Reply

Prev Next