Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When very few triathletes had a coach other than maybe a coach of a masters swim group.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 21, 19 19:43
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [RunFatPat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RunFatPat wrote:
Am I the only one who remembers "Fast-Trans"

those shoe-horny things to help you get in to your shies super fast?

I'd still bet ST has one in his garage.

CHANGING IN TO CYCLING GEAR IN T1 AND CHANGING IN TO RUNNING GEAR T2?

George Pierce's Do-It-Yourself at home orthotics

Ironman LA (and the BodyGlove wetsuit vest they gave out)

and I would KILL to get one of the TRIMBLE solid composite frames with the storage closet in the side

Getting pulled in and out of the water over and over at both Sanibel Island and USTS Boston (and riding on a newly milled road surface)

Shark swimming under Steve Fitch at Penrod's Triathlon

Ralph Ray's SPINCOACH wind trainer

Steve and Annie Hed inviting everyone they knew to their wedding

Exceed

Russ Jones' pedal platform and Jamie Sarkisian's home made SarkBars

https://www.ebay.com/...XEAkYASABEgLRcfD_BwE

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... the beginning of this thread.

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harold Robinson used to be sponsored by Trimble... I always thought it was a neat looking bike.

To my knowledge, Trimble created the behind the saddle bottle mount. I owned the bottle mount, front wheel (but in white), and those aero bars way back when....
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [RunFatPat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a picture of my aerolite titanium pedals, profile aero bar, and a Scott Tinley T-shirt. The race results book was interesting to look at. Scott Molina in 1st, Mark Allen 2nd, Tinley 3rd, and Dave Scott 5th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you remember:

The Pit
The Plunge
Ball bearing hill at Western States
Sam Posey car racing analogies on ABC Wide World of Sports coverage of Ironman
Swim course distances off a LOT pre GPS
Race results "provisional" and then mailed two weeks later or more
When there was only one Ironman distance race in the world
When IM Canada bike course didn't make a loop
When IM Kona didn't go in to the energy lab
Tongue depressors at the finish line with your place
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 The Oxford Triathlon
Last edited by: Wild Horse: Aug 27, 19 20:00
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Nick Mallett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick Mallett wrote:
2:When people actually partied hard before and after Ironman.
3:When recoveries were done in the pub.
When I was fit and skinny and women still wanted to sleep with me. (maybe pink?) :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
Tongue depressors at the finish line with your place

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've been around the sport a long time when you feel the need to take a picture of this ad you found stuffed in a stack of old magazines in a cabin up a mountain in Colorado.
...had to post it since you mentioned him in the other thread...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes i have been around a long time! Here's "Moose" circa 1988
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [dfgallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! Good pull!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using a vice, to get a freewheel off

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
Using a vice, to get a freewheel off

1) Always use the right tool for the job
2) The right tool is always a hammer
3) Anything can be used as a hammer

Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 A pro bike racer told me the aero bars on my bike were a fad. I crushed everyone at my local TT. didn’t realize what an advantage they were until everyone else got them and I was never at the pointy end again lol.

2 When I got hypothermia at Lake Placid. Had complete memory loss for the Next 5 hours because wetsuits were not yet being used for triathlons.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably NOT the first person to have a rear derailleur cable snap and do a race - basically - on a SS [yeah, i could've gone up & down on the front, but why bother?]

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a pic, 1990 Bud Light USTS San Jose
- Trifit clothes
- Magenta and other day-glo hues
- Calves
- When the podium went 5-deep and athletes would actually hang around for the awards ceremony
- Free post-race massage
- Vuarnets (I still have them!)
- Asics Gel-Lytes (man, that was "the" shoe back in the day)
- Blisters on the tops of my feet (likely from wearing Gel Lytes...)
- Bandages from trying to grab a water bottle on the bike course and falling - my friend still has scars
- Bud Light!

* side note, not sure if it was this year or earlier but Mike Pigg rode 27 mph avg. The closest to him went 25 (I think Ricettelo).
Just unbelievable, especially because it had the fearsome "Metcalf Mauler" climb.

Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Nick Mallett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick Mallett wrote:
1: The good old days when you didn't need a Phd in engineering or excercise science to be able to train for Ironman.

No kidding. This x1000.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bud Light SJ was such a fun time.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...when you had less people providing you regular medical treatment than races per year.

Back in the 90s was much easier to just turn up and race. Now it's a major mission of injury management and threading the eye of the needle to be fit but not injured on a specific day of the year.

(this came from a conversation at swim squad where I pointed out I have 2 coaches - general and swim , and a team of 4 physio/masseuse for a hobby I do twice a year.)
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Did my first race in Australia in 1984. This is an amazing list of memories - last race was a few weeks back. Still loving it.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Mjainoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my first memory is back in 1998 when i shared the pool with Ivan Rana. the triathlon and swimming squad were swiming in 2 lanes and we waterpolo guys plus girls in the other lanes. didnt care too much about "that"sport. We are the same age, we were 19. Not too long after that he finished 5th in the olympics in 2000. That was the 1st time i saw triathlon and I liked it. I remember it was late here in Spain, i woke up and Olivier Marceau was running solo at the front when he was french :)

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
1. Scott DH bars
2. Oakley Pilots
3. Gookinaid
4. The Seat Shifter (tm)
5. Bud Light USTS
6. Team J David
7. Harold Robinson
8. Nike Sock Racers
9. Biathlon
10. Sub 4 clothing

Not knowing what triathlon is.

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wore my 20 year old Ironman Triathlon wetsuit in a sprint race this past weekend. Two people asked me if Ironman was now making wetsuits.
Quote Reply

Prev Next