Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [OC Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did that race at Angels Stadium - the Ironman Duathlon - and still have the race t-shirt (Gee, maybe it is time to empty the closet, you think?). Besides Jeff Devlin winning, the other thing I remember was Benjamin Paredes' (2nd in the NYC marathon a few years later) coach screaming Arriba! Arriba! at the top of his lungs.

Great pics!

Dean Wilson
www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [rtk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ruth--

Still have my rst singlet. A few years ago (well, maybe ten) I asked Emilio about how to restore its whiteness, and he told me to get a life. I declined.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [dschoonmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benotto handlebar tape
Leather helmets
When you actually had to mail in your entry forms with a cheque
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [dschoonmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still wear the shorts!
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [isbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I did that race at Angels Stadium - the Ironman Duathlon - and still have the race t-shirt (Gee, maybe it is time to empty the closet, you think?). Besides Jeff Devlin winning, the other thing I remember was Benjamin Paredes' (2nd in the NYC marathon a few years later) coach screaming Arriba! Arriba! at the top of his lungs.

yeah, I did that race too, around Anaheim Stadium and the bike portion through not the best paved streets in town. The age groupers raced ealier and the pros about two hours later. I kinda like that format so you can check out the pro race. They had the Ironman Duathlon the previous year in Anaheim Hills and it was an afternoon race. Lance Armstrong raced that event wearing a Subaru Montgomery race kit. I post pics of that race soon.

I have that T shirt too, in fact I have the race number authographed by Benjamin Paredes.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [mattradaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to see everyone is still having fun with this!
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [OC Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also did the Anaheim Hills Ironman Duathlon. I was standing next to Slowman as he was giving splits to Lance (on a QR bike) as he was trying to catch up to a flying Kenny Sousa. LA came up short. Same year, he also came up short at the San Diego Coors Light duathlon against Joel Thompson.

Dean Wilson
www.anaerobiczone.com

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mainly to bump this thread back up, adding:

- Hind "Tactel" socks. Sublime thin fit that prevented blisters while extremely durable.
- Parachute pants that were prevalent pre- and post-race
- Billabong surfwear that was similarly present
- Neon colored clothing
- Exceed sports drink
- Vaseline (put some under the tip of your saddle and apply to reduce chaffing!)
- "doping" by taking Advil on the bike, jammed in to the power bar on the top tube for easy access
- Everyone waiting around for the award ceremonies where the pros were as patient and thankful as the age groupers
- Pre-race carbo-load dinners which had big turnouts and a great way to meet fellow competitors
and they're support crews.
Last edited by: twain: Jan 27, 15 23:24
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the beginning of this thread.....

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know what Wally and Wayne Buckingham are doing now? Ran with them at Grossmont College.

When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, you suffer.
Dan
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [WryMouth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

Thought I would keep this one going for us old folks.

When Monty used to race with a "Bicycle Source" shirt 82 Triathlon (a bike shop located on western ave san pedro)

Scott Molina showing up late, running to the swim start while everyone was already in the water then swimming over us and winning the race (LA Triathlon Championship Series 83 I think)

Bill, Julie Leach and E Desoto riding his green bianchi at World Wildlife Ironman Manhattan Beach 83 and meeting Tom Bradly

People getting pulled from the ocean due to hypothermia 84 Richoh

People changing clothes and becomming totally nude in the transition area before it was banned.

Tacks on the Queen K Highway 82

Mike Mcnanus Winning Redondo Triathlon 84
Rob Barel
Tony Alder
Tim Sheeper
Kim Bushong
Jody Durst
Tom Gallagher
Rholand Phillips
Meeting John Howard after his 81 Ironman victory
Wally Buckingham
John Devere

Sprinting Acroos the line with Tom Boughy at LA Tri Championship Series Bonelli 84 as a teenager and I didnt even know who he was..lol

Lets keep it going. I am still searching for old results/pics if anybody has any and will pay for them.

Scott H
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [holzamatic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a simple one, really.

When every (and I mean every) guy wore a speedo from start to finish. No big deal, at the time.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember the lawless days when you could ride your bike in and out of the transition area.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Killer Loop Sunglasses

The ridiculous Bole ones

28 spoke "aero" front wheels.

Nike BRS clothing

Rip 'n Hammer clothing

Giro waterbottles

Aerodyne helmets

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
I remember the lawless days when you could ride your bike in and out of the transition area.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
i think i miss this more than any other thing. especially in kona. we ran to the end of our row and got on. it was
just great.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing the whole race in a speedo!

Heck yeah! That was considered just normal back then.

Standing in the dark at 5:55 am for the 6 am start versus 7 am start at world wildlife ironman 83 torrance beach, yup in a speedo! Dam that was cold and we didnt
even get into the water yet. And yes,,,,I did that Whole race in my green speedo lol Boy we must have looked ridiculous!
Monty was loving that coldness and came out first over bill leach in 56 min!

Course some people like that I remember getting asked out after crossing the line in just a speedo no shirt castiac lake 84.

Riding into the transition area..oh yeah right up to the bar where you placed your bike. How crazy is that!
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [holzamatic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was at Atlanta raceway in 1989. Note my running shoes strapped into pedals, no top only speedos, riding in transition, old style aerobars. You can't see the steel bike pump attached to the top tube. How times have changed.

Last edited by: monsrider: Apr 2, 15 19:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Fed newsletter - always had to wait for it to come thru the mail
USTS Coke Grand Prix Championship at Hilton Head Island, SC - walking around an open T1 and meeting Jan Ripple, Scott Tinley, Scott Molina and the Hansen Twins
UNI Cover - couldn't afford a real rear disc
Exceed on the race course, when it got warm....ugh

Yeah, those were the days
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [trianimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey all, good ones. Here are some fresh ones I came up with while running the other day:

Down tube shifting
Nike Columbia
Carbo Loading with the full depletion phase
Families crossing finish lines
The Puntous twins
Quote Reply
Post deleted by trianimal [ In reply to ]
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [trianimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good Stuff guys

lol downtube shifting...only way to go...so I thought

Puntous twins..Raced with them at USTS Los Angeles 85 held at dana point. They even swim together side by side! My god
And yes all Speedos the whole race!

Trianimal cool picture Grass! Nice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monsrider....sorry getting older. Not old, older. Older sounds like it will last longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seeing Roch Frey race...

Having both Roch and Randy Bennett (Ryan Cochrane's coach) as camp coaches when they were starting out.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seeing Paula Newby Fraser (pre Huddle) collapse at the Hot Corner.

Other names; you know you've been around a long time………..

Tina Bischoff
"Moose"
Yves Cordier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Scott Ironman bikes by Centurion
Avia cycling shoes
Zinca
Zunow
Carbo loading the night before a big event (1989 Vancouver Intl Tri)
George Pierce
Quote Reply

Prev Next