Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Yoga for Sports
Quote | Reply
In an attempt to deal with my recurrent injuries, mostly due to me being not flexible at all, not stretching much if at all, I've decided to attend Yoga/Meditation classes...
First class yesterday...average age is about 50...most of them women.
Well, I SUCK big time...was by far the least flexible person in the room, my postures were probably all looking very awkward (well, I know they were)...there is quite a long way to go!!

And forget it!!! You will never see any pictures of me doing yoga!! but if others have done yoga to help improve their performance and more generally, their well-being, I'd like to hear comments/opinions.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga for Sports [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take away the philosophy and meditation and yoga basically is stretching. I've been doing yoga stretches regularly for 30 yrs and contribute that to why I've had relatively few injuries. Not enough triathletes work on their flexibility IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga for Sports [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well taking away philosophy and meditation from Yoga is like taking a bike and removing the wheels and handlebars...it's not a bike anymore ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uhm, I think what you seek is more Pilates than Yoga classes.

Pilates has all the benefits of Yoga for triathlete but without all that spiritual junk ;)

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started doing yoga about a month ago. Not going to classes, but just watching this one-hour show in the mornings called Inhale (it's at 6am on Oxygen... i had to swallow some pride to watch Oxygen...).

I only do it once or twice a week, and I'm probably not doing it correctly, but I'm amazed at how much flexibility I've gained in my hamstrings and low back. It's unbelievable. I'm an addict now. I went one week without doing any, and the next time I did it, I was so tight in the beginning. But by the end of the hour, it's amazing how much more flexible I am. I tend to just do a few of my own stretches for the last 5 minutes when they sort of lay on the ground relaxing on TV.

But yah, I'm hooked. I think it'll allow me to get into a much more aero position and keep me injury free in general. I love it!
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga for Sports [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knowing that I don't often go to races in the best mental state, maybe I need this spiritual junk...as you call it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
during my 6 month work sabbatical, I was doing Yoga 5 days a week. I really enjoyed it, even bought a mat with a sling. And the instructor looked good, all twisted up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.npr.org/....php?storyId=4979052

Morning Edition, November 10, 2005 · B.K.S Iyengar is considered the world's greatest living yoga master. He refined and perfected the technique of doing yoga poses that is most widely taught in the United States.

Iyengar began life as a frail and sickly child -- but now, at the ripe age of 87, the yoga master can still stand on his head and hold a conversation at the same time.

In his latest book, Light on Life, he recounts how physical weaknesses led him to the ancient practice of yoga:

"My poor health was matched, as it often is when one is sick, by my poor mood," he writes. "A deep melancholy often overtook me, and at times I asked myself whether life was worth the trouble of living.

"Seeing that the general state of my health was so poor, my brother-in-law recommended a stiff regime of yoga practice to knock me into shape and strengthen me up to face life's trials and challenges as I approached adulthood."

Over the next seven decades, Iyengar used his own body as a living laboratory to explore how different yoga postures -- called asanas -- can alleviate health problems. He used props like ropes, belts and bricks to help even the elderly, weak, and inflexible experience yoga's therapeutic effects.

But Iyengar says yoga goes beyond the physical motions: "The practice of yogasana for the sake of health, to keep fit, or to maintain flexibility is the external practice of yoga," he continues in Light on Life.

"While this is a legitimate place to begin, it is not the end... Even in simple asanas, one is experiencing the three levels of quest: the external quest, which brings firmness of the body; the internal quest, which brings steadiness of intelligence; and the innermost quest, which brings benevolence of spirit.

"Often, we hear people saying they remain active and light when they do just a little bit of asana practice. When a raw beginner experiences this state of well-being, it is not merely the external or anatomical effects of yoga. It is also about the internal physiological and psychological effects of the practice."

Yoga's Effect on Health

Scientists have been trying to measure some of yoga's effects on health, and have discovered some interesting results:

• Studies by the Oregon Health and Sciences University found that a six-month Iyengar yoga program helped people with multiple sclerosis combat fatigue, and also improved the energy level and quality of life of healthy seniors.

• According to an article in the Journal of the American Medical Association, doing yoga helped improve grip strength and reduce pain in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome.

• Adult asthma patients practiced yoga in clinical trials to help reduce the use of inhalers and induce more relaxed and positive attitudes.

• Transcendental Meditation, which is associated with yoga practice, was found to reduce stress, lower blood pressure and is more effective than heart disease education programs in reducing fatty buildup in arteries, according to a study in the journal Stroke.

• Consistent yoga practice was the requirement underlying these studies.

"Physical health is not a commodity to be bargained for," writes B.K.S. Iyengar. "Nor can it be swallowed in the form of drugs and pills -- it has to be earned through sweat. It is something that we must build up."

Quotes from Light on Life: The Yoga Journey to Wholeness, Inner Peace, and Ultimate Freedom by B.K.S. Iyengar, courtesy of Rodale, Inc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Yoga for Sports [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL! that's not me...I am sure I can't put both hands on teh ground at the same time ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you know what to do Francois. Shed your expectations, follow your heart, and enjoy the journey.

I do agree with the other poster about adding Pilates/Core to the program for injury re-hab and pre-hab.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did yoga for about 4 years but that was awhile back when I was playing soccer ... I can tell you that it really helped on several fronts ...

relaxation before a game ... this was something that probably helped me the most

breathing techniques also really helped my running

flexibility - I was always getting injured before I started yoga but never had problems afterwards

strengthens your stabilizer muscles

it builds up muscular endurance

Guess I should start up again :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try bikram (hot) yoga. when you're all warm and sweaty (mmm....warm and sweaty), you are more flexible. for about 24 hours after one of those, i feel sooooo good. joints and muscles feel ready for anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you sore at all!?! I too am trying to incorporate more yoga this winter, as I have all sorts of hip issues and I think the yoga would do me well!! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga for Sports [laim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you do during commercials? I just caught the last few minutes of it, maybe I'll try it. I NEED to stretch in a bad way, too!!

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Yoga for Sports [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sore nope...

wanted to do bikram yoga...but there is none around here. so no warm and sweaty yoga for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did yoga for about 6 months. It seemed to help at the time but as soon as I stopped I went right back to being very inflexible. I thought it would have more of a long lasting benifit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started Yoga three weeks ago. The class I am in is pretty cool - there are only one or two other people in it, so I get lots of 1:1 time with the instructor to work on poses, etc. I can already notice a difference in my flexibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you have to post a pic or it didn't happen :)
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga for Sports [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I've been hitting the pilates for a a couple of months now and I am seeing definite improvements in a) my ability to do pilates and b) reduction in some nagging injuries I had.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait till you see me ! I could bet all I have that I am less flexible than you are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been doing yoga at least twice a week for more than a decade and irregularly for about 25 years. There are many benefits, not least of which is protection from injury for runners.

That said, there is yoga, and there is yoga. I don't just mean that there are different flavors--Iyengar, flow, Bikram, etc.--but that each instructor is different. Be sure to sample as many as you can to find the one whose approach works best for you.

I recently started attending a yoga for athletes class, which is mostly attended by triathletes. There is less stress on strength than is typical in yoga and more on flexibility. It's a nice variation on the two other core-strength-oriented classes I do.

It seems to me anecdotally that yoga is really catching on among triathletes. Even five years ago, I was the only one doing sun salutations prior to the start of a race. In October, I counted six of us in various obviously yogic poses prior to a local international-distance race.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>..average age is about 50

Are you doing yoga at the local community center?

Like the others have said, you gotta find the right style that fits your goals/abilities. I did Ashtanga for years, but wouldn't recommend it for beginners. I know a few here love Bikram, but I hated it. Too repetitive for me. It's hard to find, but I'd recommend trying the Forrest method. It's painful b/c you hold poses for a LONG time, but I find I'm not sore the next day, as you can be with other styles (Bikram/Ashtanga).

And I also disagree that Pilates is just as good. The mat classes (which is what you'll find at most health clubs) do little to improve your flexibility. Great core workout, but not an intense stretching regimen. The reformer workouts are great, but are $$$$.

Bottom line is to try a bunch of styles/instructors and find the one you like. Or at least find one with hot chicks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started incorporating yoga into my training last year, and I found that I progressed very rapidly in flexibility, far more than I ever had with just "stretching". ANd I don't necessarily buy into all the philosophy, but the basic breathing (ujjayi) REALLY helped me. I've lapsed a bit in my practice, but am getting back on the wagon, so to speak. BTW -- I did all mine as home study through books and a couple videos.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next