Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yet another tubular question
Quote | Reply
I have a tubular wheel mounted with a new tire. I'd like to swap out that tire for a different one, but not if it means the tire would become unusable as a spare. So I guess the question is how long a tire that was once glued can last if it sits on on the shelf? Are there any steps I should take to preserve the base tape? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another tubular question [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good questions. Hopefully you didn't use that awful "Tubasti" red glue or that equally offensive baby-pooh colored Vittoria red stuff. Nasty. The clear cements (Panaracer and Continental) seem to maintain some degree of tackiness and don't seem to seperate the base tape, so your shelf life should be good. I guess, just monitor the adhesion of the base tape to the tire. If it looks good then you are fine. If it starts to "delaminate" or come unglued, well then, you know you learned the expensive way. I wish I could be of more help. I think you'll be fine...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another tubular question [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have reused many tubular tyres with old glue- you just have to reglue with the same stuff. I rotate out my tyres with about 150 miles on them into the spare tyre pile.

If the base tape is ruined (which I don't believe it is, or if you want to switch glue), world class cycles (http://www.worldclasscycles.com/) has base tape and the proper adhesive to replace base tape. I doubt you have anything to worry about.
Quote Reply