Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yet another assault
Quote | Reply
Here's the deal:

At about 4:30 this PM, I was riding south on 101 in Encinitas, California (literally in front of Nytro.) A white (90% sure it was a Nissan) extra cab pickup with three 19-20 year old surf punks swerved hard at me and tried to force me into the parrallel-parked cars. I chased them down at the stop sign at 101 and E, and we had words.

Due to traffic, I caught up with them again at the stop sign at Hansen's, but I didn't pass them because I could see that the driver had a fast-food drink cup in his hand and I knew he was gonna throw it at me. They egged me on to pass at the stop sign, but I wouldn't, so the driver put the cup in his left hand and made a "hook shot" over the truck and threw a full cup of Coke or whatever at me, but it missed. They then sped off.

I pulled over and called my girlfriend's cell phone because I knew she wouldn't answer, and I left the truck's license plate on her voicemail. She called me back about an hour later and read it back to me, and I called the San Diego Sherriff's Department. I made a report, or whatever they call it, and I was told that a Deputy would call me back. The Deputy called about 30 minutes later, and told me that he had run the plate, but it came up empy. Nada. He tried various permutations of the number I had provided, but still got nothing.

So they have probable cause to start pulling over white pickups in the area, (assault with a deadly weapon, throwing an object from a moving vehicle, and littering) and they will pull trucks over, but their case will be sketchy because of the plate issue and the fact that all I could give them was "three 19-20 year old caucasian males with baseball caps on backwards and sunglasses."

I'm gonna do a couple of things: 1) talk to my girlfriend again and make sure that the number she read to me was the one I actually left on her voicemail; 2) keep my eye out for said truck; and 3) ask an FBI friend to try the plate number (and variations thereof) that I've got: 5XXO337. It was a CA plate on a white Japanese pickup.

I was so frickin' sure that I had that plate number in my head. I kept repeating it over and over to myself until I read it to my girl's voicemail.

I hope to God I didn't blow it... I wanna nail those f*cks so bad, I can taste it. Hopefully the Sherriffs will turn something up tonight.

So do me a favor, would you? If you're in North Coastal San Diego, and you think about it, keep an eye out for a white Japanese pickup with a CA license plate like 5XXO337. If you see something like that plate, please note it and let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited by: GJB: Jul 12, 03 18:55
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another assault [GJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode today too...an area in Pittsburgh where there are gangs and all...(I don't know the town, being here for only 1 month and was just trying to exit to go on country roads)...
Eventually, I thought, the area looks kinda creepy...
I asked my way out to some dude there, african american, full of tatoos and all, and he was very friendly, suggested "this may not be a good neighborhood for you to ride man, kinda dangerous here" and drove at 20mph to put me on the right track...

then, San Diego, known for being one of the mecca of triathlon and your post...that makes you think twice!

as someone said :" some people are just morons"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I'm really blown away that it happened there. There are so many cyclists right on that stretch that getting harrassed by motorists is fairly rare.

The area around D Street is a big surf hangout. If they're locals, you'll see 'em again.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another assault [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GJB, that story sucks. I hope you find those guys. I'll keep my eyes open.

Francois, your story RULES!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yet another reason to own and use a Computrainer. I'm way past believing the public streets are a proper place for cyclists.

The war is over. Cyclists lost. Detroit won.

Here in Florida the rout is complete. Just yesterday I watched some guy in a pickup throw a coke can at a lycra clad roadie who was riding in the bike lane. So typical.... Florida kills twice as many cyclists each year as any other state.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember to always carry your cell phone. Try to get the licence plate of the A...Hole who causes the trouble. Tell the police he threatened you with a weapon. It will give them something to think about the next time they mess with a biker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surfers are notorious for harassing cyclists around here, a bit ironic since I know quite a few triathletes who surf, I live in Encinitas right off D Street & Coast Hwy, I will keep my eyes open for the perps.
Quote Reply