Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Yet Another Critique My Fit
Quote | Reply
I think that I have got fairly close with the fit of my Canyon and would like to solicit any helpful feedback. I've made numerous adjustments over that last week or so and feel that I am getting to a fairly comfortable position but would welcome any feedback that might be of use.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16thG9e95Y1qWYGAJTt2oO3NEBb58IqxF

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Critique My Fit [dave_o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not bad. I'd try more reach and less crank.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Critique My Fit [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Not bad. I'd try more reach and less crank.
#thatswhatyourmomsaid

A lot of toe dipping is my observation.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Critique My Fit [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#juvenilehumornevergetsold
#stneedsalikebutton
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Critique My Fit [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
more reach might make the bike too small.... le sigh.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Critique My Fit [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Bike is a size too small.

I've fit 10 or so Canyons. 9! were a size too small. If they'd only come and done a fit on the fit bike instead of bringing the bike in after the fact, I could have gotten them on the right Canyon. And it would have cost them the same amount of money either way.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Jan 10, 19 5:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a pro (like Eric or Trent).

But if I were you, I would bring my hand 5cm forward (so aerobar-end 5cm forward), my elbow 5cm forward (so pad 5cm forward), to be more comfortable (and aero ?).

So, yes, this lead to think your bike is too short (for a longer position) by 2 or 3cm, and too low of approx same amount (from visible stack and seat post).

Another longer stem can do the trick ?

Personally I went to 12cm stem from 9cm stem on my 54cm P3 when I identified more reach was better for me (and aerobar and pad were at the max forward).
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Critique My Fit [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

I've fit 10 or so Canyons. 9! were a size too small. If they'd only come and done a fit on the fit bike instead of bringing the bike in after the fact, I could have gotten them on the right Canyon. And it would have cost them the same amount of money either way.

Well shit. I'll talk to Canyon and see if there is a possibility to send back for a different size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dave_o wrote:
trentnix wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Well shit. I'll talk to Canyon and see if there is a possibility to send back for a different size.

No.

if you do that, the next size up bike will have too much stack and you'll probably be too high.

Is there any more reach left on your bike as is?

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Yeah that CF is a weird bike... it's too narrow-tall to fit most people in a proper TT position. It will either be too short or too tall like this guy. All because they wanted their proprietary stem to be flush with the bento for aesthetics.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
dave_o wrote:
trentnix wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

No.

if you do that, the next size up bike will have too much stack and you'll probably be too high.

Is there any more reach left on your bike as is?

I believe that I have 10mm left if I flip the pads. Could always get a longer stem but if that might be an option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure he's got a few cm to work with, stack-wise.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's hard to tell but maybe he has the pre-subsonic CF and he could switch to that to get lower?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the 2019 with the subsonic brackets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, he has the spacer under the stem and removing it gives 25mm less stack.

The stem is “proprietary” to fit the bento box, but you can remove the spacer, cut the steerer tube and change the stem to longer. For example aeria ultimate stem fits flush with canyon’s smaller bento box.
Last edited by: timppis: Jan 10, 19 10:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Pretty sure he's got a few cm to work with, stack-wise.

Looks like I have 2 options:
1) Return this for a medium and modify to get lower (cut stem, remove spacer, etc.)
2) Keep this small and add the switch plate which adds another 3cm (I believe) to the reach

Interested in thoughts as to what is the best here.Appreciate the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do whichever is easiest, see if that works, and go from there...

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dave,

Good of you to post. Did you size up using Canyon's online measurement system? I had the dilemma of sizing as i'm inbetween small and medium. I ended up contacting my Canyon local office and getting direct information and going up to medium, which seemed counter-intuitive to the collective community, where i've red go down a size. So i'll be a crossed fingers moment on opening the box next week and no doubt hours of setup fun lol.

In your case, I'd probably ring them first on any fixes you can do to your current bike, as i'm sure a few people have had a similar issues.

In the past i've dialled in my own position for comfort, then gone to a bike fitter to refine my setups for aero/power. One thing about local bike fitters, they will dial in the aero and saddle to an optimal position relating to your flexibility for power without compromising efficiency/comfort. Being local they typically know the types of races, your club or training ground. Also going to a good fitter, you will learn about the interplay between the contact points and how they effect the shoulders, hips and legs. This means you can self-adjust more easily when needed, as our body does change seasonal with weight strength and general physiological decay!

Out of interest, in your different setups, how is your comfort, aero and power/speed? The choice between comfort and aero is subjective and may effect your power/speed depending on your race distance. For example, i'm a AGer who does sprints and HIM and adjust the difference, sprints more aggressive and HIM comfort for the endurance. My previous bike fitter took this into account.

I'm not really in a position to comment about your setup in the picture as the image proportions can be deceptive and i'm not a bike fitter. You do have choices:

1. comfortable, hitting your optimum power after testing and you are happy - brilliant
  2. if you feel the bike is not right for your size, contact Canyon for options
  3. the fit is worrying you, then have a initial consultation with a bike fitter, if they say bike geometry issue, go to choice 2

All the best for finding your optimum position, let us know how you got on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input Trent. The easiest is to just go with the switch plate and add a bit of reach and see how that goes. I’ll go that route here and see how that feels.

I am curious as to your thoughts on this being one size too small. Are you considering that simply from the reach perspective or also an overall wheelbase?

Appreciate all the help you and others have provided. I did look into flights to DFW to get a fit from you a couple of months ago and now regret not doing that.

Dave
Last edited by: dave_o: Jan 10, 19 18:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dave_o wrote:
Thanks for the input Trent. The easiest is to just go with the switch plate and add a bit of reach and see how that goes. I’ll go that route here and see how that feels.

I am curious as to your thoughts on this being one size too small. Are you considering that simply from the reach perspective or also an overall wheelbase?

Appreciate all the help you and others have provided. I did look into flights to DFW to get a fit from you a couple of months ago and now regret not doing that.

Dave
It's not complicated - you need more reach than the stock build provides and you have several cm of stack spacers of possible adjustment.

The goal is, assuming a good position, to fill the space underneath you with bicycle. Not pedestals and spacers. Headtube is faster than spacers (generally). Headtube is faster than pedestals (generally). And it looks better too.

The problem with sizing is that it's garbage in, garbage out. If you have a good fit, finding the right size bike is easy. But when you don't (or you believe advice that tells you to judge how it "feels", as if your body knows how it should "feel"), you end up making expensive mistakes.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Critique My Fit [runnett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runnet,

I did use their online sizing tool and went with the suggested size based on that. I also went to a local fitter so thought that I was sized correctly. Lesson learned I guess.

I knew that I was close to between 2 sizes but based on the stack and reach that I was measured the small seemed best. I talked to Canyon today and still have the option to return and exchange for a different size but they were more inclined to suggest the switch plate which can give an additional 3cm of reach. I’ll give that a shot and see how things feel.

The fit that I have on the bike now feels the best of the different setups that I have played with so I am not terribly concerned at this point. I’ve only put in a handful of rides on the trainer but the speed and power seem good. I’m also an AGer (middle of pack) and pretty much stick with Olympic distance but would like to give a HIM a try next year.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for the switch plate as well... I did something similar on my P5. Glad to see Canyon is making a purpose-built tool for more reach.

dave_o wrote:

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Change of plans, since I have just been informed that the switch plate is only applicable to the SLX model and not the CF. A bit frustrating since Canyon sales was pushing me to this solution on the phone yesterday. Looks like I can get a longer stem for this and add 10mm to my reach with that option. Not as far as I would like but probably an easier approach than switching sizes and cutting steer tubes, etc. Fun times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so there's a canyon part that I've seen that is purely a reach adapter... maybe it's called something different than switch plate adapter.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dave_o wrote:
Change of plans, since I have just been informed that the switch plate is only applicable to the SLX model and not the CF. A bit frustrating since Canyon sales was pushing me to this solution on the phone yesterday. Looks like I can get a longer stem for this and add 10mm to my reach with that option. Not as far as I would like but probably an easier approach than switching sizes and cutting steer tubes, etc. Fun times.

Your current stem is probably 80mm. You can get more than 10mm reach by choosing the stem from another brand (Profile Design Aeria Ultimate, search for the thread about that, there are some pictures about my setup). Also changing the aero bars to different bar and can provide more reach (if I remember for example Zipp Vuka Clip provides pad position more forward than Profile Design).
Quote Reply

Prev Next