Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yet Another Computrainer Load Problem
Quote | Reply
Sorry, Gang. I know that similar topics have been previously covered, but the questions and answers didn't apply or help. I have a Computrainer Lab setup that has gone wild. It "works" but tolerates very little press on force to get me into the "2s" with proper warmup and gives me an FTP over 200 watts higher than other measures. There is no calibration screw for the internal potentiometer. It has suffered no trauma. A hard reboot by pulling the power doesn't have any effect. Can't really do Zwift rides like this with phony numbers and real slippage at higher efforts. Can it be in the legacy software such that stripping it out will fix the problem? Or will that be the death knell? Something else simple that I have overlooked?

Need help!
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Computrainer Load Problem [billgotfryd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the ONE problem I had with my computertrainer about 4 years ago. It ended up needing to be completely serviced. So you might be out of luck...However, it can't hurt to ask. About a year ago I realized I still was using the fly wheel that had been recalled. I contacted them and they still took care of the flywheel even though they were out of business. Even sent me an extra one "just in case."

Fond memories of that company. I lived about 100 miles north of Seattle. I had this issue come up the Monday before Thanksgiving. I sent it in and it arrived on Tuesday. They called me on Wednesday to say that it was fixed but didn't want me to miss any training over the holiday weekend.

So one of their guys drove it up to my house on his way to his family weekend that was north of where I live.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Computrainer Load Problem [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darn! Oh well. I'll survive and adapt I guess. Thanks much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have a used Computrainer Pro load generator without a flywheel if your interested.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried it with a different, known good DIN cable? That is the only problem I have had with my Computrainers.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Computrainer Load Problem [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I haven’t tried that. I suppose it is worth the try before I junk it.

Thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Yet Another Computrainer Load Problem [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I ordered a new DIN and Stereo cable. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you very much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No joy. Just FTP tested with new cables and I have the same grossly inflated power numbers. Also same feather touch press on force situation.

Pleading for any other last ideas before a visit to the scrap heap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you called Racermate to see if they have any laying around? My experience has been that they still want to help with whatever they have.

Even if you have to spend 200 bucks on a new load generator...it's cheaper than a whole new trainer. Or Look on ebay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you email them via service@racermateinc.com? I tried that recently but said that was for velodrome only that they did nothing with the computrainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Computrainer Load Problem [chirunner134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I contacted them through here:

https://www.racermateinc.com/blue-flywheel-recall/

Which just takes you to here:
https://www.questionpro.com/...ey?tt=/f/XyPlWyTk%3D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, All, for the good advice. Racermate is kaput. In the end I finally found an engineering company called Radwell International that advertised that it sold new and old computrainers and also repaired them. Not sure about the first part, but I did contact and arranged for an examination and a repair. (Bad capacitors.) Pricy, but with a two year repair warranty that should give me time to look over competitors and/or move to direct drive. Worth the gamble to keep what otherwise is a tank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! Good for you sticking with it. I still keep my old cycleops fluid trainer around as a backup. My elite direto trainer has been fine but I doubt anything is built to last like the computrainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Computrainer Load Problem [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Wow! Good for you sticking with it. I still keep my old cycleops fluid trainer around as a backup. My elite direto trainer has been fine but I doubt anything is built to last like the computrainer.

I just upgraded to the Kickr last week. I've had the same thought. I stuck my Computrainer away in the closet for when (not if) the core stops working in the next 5 years and I need a backup.

I honestly tried to wait until the Computrainer broke before upgrading. And it just wouldn't die.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is the link: Search Results - Radwell.com
https://www.radwell.com/ /en-US/Search/?q=racermate

makes me wonder if those of us with the Computrainers should part them out opposed to shoving into the closet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any affiliation with this bike shop, I'm just trying to help out.

Used computrainers for sale

https://m.facebook.com/...p;ref=content_filter
Last edited by: jaretj: Jul 25, 21 16:53
Quote Reply